Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

It is reissued now and again.

5-String likes this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Not yet. I am trying to space out the works that he recorded more than once and I have heard the issued one already. To be honest, it paled next to my preferred pianist for this work, Richter.

3. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Richter has a totally different view of this work. A uniquely dark interpretation. Artur manages to find the light - his early version outclasses easily the '69 one.

Robin L likes this.
  4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Enjoyed Rubinstein's first recorded go at the Rachmaninoff 2nd last evening. Also listened to his first recording of Chopin's first Scherzo (at a blinding speed in parts).

5. George P

Indeed. :love:

That's good to know. I actually liked the first two movements of the earlier one.

6. George P

Yes, early Rubinstein is something quite different than late Rubinstein. I love his early recordings, they are the ones that won me over and made me a fan of his.

7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

You can negotiate combined shipping with the Amazon seller. I've done that on several occasions. Also "Fulfillment by Amazon" sellers also seem to bypass ST in my experience. At least for the moment.

8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Can''t say that I "play" the piano, but a few years of keyboard led me to noodle on whatever keyboard might be at hand. Having recorded more pianos than I can recall—yup, the instrument and room do matter. I was lucky enough to record Jean Alexis Smith performing Chopin's Second sonata and other works on a Yamaha Grand at Kensington's U.U. church. This happens to be one of Andre Watts' favorite places to record. The room really enhances piano tone, with clear but short echos. Using the same room for chorus turned out to be not quite so copacetic. I had a somewhat wrecked Steinway "B" in my living room, the difference in tone between Yahamas and Steinways is clear to me in front of the instrument, but microphones can easily override such tonal differences with their own colorations. And then there's microphone positioning, which can completely alter the character of an instrument. Lotta variables here.

I play guitar more, no question that most of guitar tone is the instrument. I wants me a Hummingbird!

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

More "paranoid", an attitude of dread that works in this final sonata. At least compared to Rubinstein's later version.

10. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Now Listening To

Ludwig Senfl. Deutsches Lieder. Michel Piguet and soloists. EMI german gold label.

A completely delightful LP of light Renaissance music. Senfl (1486-1543 ) was one of the last composers directly tied to the Netherlands school of Renaissance composers and was a student of Heinrich Isaac, and followed him as court composer to the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian. Although he also composed masses and motets, he had an absolute genius for rearranging popular melodies with delicious counterpoint. The recording is excellent.

NB the gold label original is significantly better than the subsequent red labels in capturing delicate details. There wasn't any remaster so I have to assume it was due to vinyl reformulations. This came out in the early 70s with the oil embargos etc.

senfl.JPG

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    Robin L likes this.
  11. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

SteelyTom likes this.
  12. George P

13. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Yes but these sets are more expensive there:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haydn-Quartets-10-CD-set/dp/B00EO7XPPC/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1384285094&sr=1-1&keywords=Haydn mosaiques

On the other hand JPC is the most reliable store with the best packaging ever. Also go to the store only via the link at demisroussos.info and you will get 5% discount.

http://www.demisroussos.info/shop/shop.htm

Finally he VAT is deducted for you. I do not think you will get a better deal elsewhere.

14. George P

Ordered! Thanks for the heads up! :wave:

15. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Well done:righton:

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

17. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

5-String likes this.
  18. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Congrats about the Haydn Mosaiques set!

George P and RiRiIII like this.
  19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

This is his most well known work and an old favorite of mine

[​IMG]

20. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

An international best seller!

21. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

22. George P

[​IMG]

Enjoying more lovely stuff from the big Rubinstein box.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  23. drh

drh Talking Machine

Your wish is my command:

Robin L and John S like this.
  24. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have this set as well.

25. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Richter has no peer in that repertoire.

George P likes this.