Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

With thanks to John Greenwood, I just ordered a reasonably priced ($11) used copy this set.

3. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Fine. Note that some of those myriad input terminals accept analog signals. ;)

4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Great price for a 3-CD set! The Delos cds are very well produced. The ones recorded by John Eargle are considered state of the art.

5. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Enjoy!

6. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Franz Schubert – CD1 – Sonata in A minor Op.42 D845, Sonata D157, 34 Valses Sentmentales (extracts) Op.50 D779 - 1,3,5,7,13,14,19,21,23,24,28,30, Walzer D978
    Michel Dalberto (Brilliant Classics Piano Library)

[​IMG]

7. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Eargle was a fine organist and a great engineer.

5-String likes this.
  8. sgb

sgb Senior Member

My own criterion is that if the lowest price from an Amazon Market Place seller plus the $3.99 postage is less than $2 lower, it is worth the extra cost to buy from Amazon. Keep in mind that other products such as household goods, small appliances, nearly everything Amazon carries with the prime logo, in fact, saves you shipping charges. I expect that my Prime membership has saved me several hundred dollars in shipping charges as a result of this.

I would add that even at Media Mail rates, the cost of postage alone for a single CD is $2.73; after you add the cost of a shipping box/envelope, and the cost to drive to the PO to mail your parcel, $3.99 is a bargain for Market Place postage costs.

Robin L likes this.
  9. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Now Listening To
    Rameau. Castor et Pollux. Farncombe, Smith, Huttenlocher, English Bach Festival. Erato France.

I find this a bit more fluent and slightly better recorded than the earlier Harnoncourt. The latter had better singers but they sang too high operatically eg Souzay.
    castor.jpg

For some reason I find Rameau's melodies make French singing sound more interesting. French is a beautiful sounding language when spoken well and adding a speech inflected melody to it doesn't add much of anything IMO. I find it less distracting when the melody doesn't fit typical French speech patterns too closely.

10. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I just checked the email from Amazon received this morning and there is no sales tax on it. Depending on whom it is that actually sold the scanner — even under the guise of being Amazon itself — the sales tax charged for the scanner may be due to its shipping place of origin. Of course, sales tax for all items from ALL sellers in the USA will be coming soon, and each of the states that have sales taxes will benefit.

11. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I would like to know how to do this; I buy a lot of music from the Classical Music Superstore seller at Amazon, and they have never seemed to be interested in lower shipping.

12. Mr Bass

They are not forced to do it but the ones I contacted did consolidate and ship together the same way Amazon does. However the last time I did this was a year ago. Is CMS charging you extra even though they put everything in one box? I had one vendor MovieMars pull that stunt with me on ebay where they charged me for two shipments when it came in one box. I never dealt with them again. They had some convoluted explanation.

13. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Gustav Mahler – Symphony No.5
    — Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra — Klaus Tennstedt (RCO Live)

[​IMG]

RiRiIII likes this.
  14. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Yes, in fact every Market Place seller I have dealt with does.

Someone mentioned import CDs via Amazon — I think it was the cute dachshund poster — In checking their own site versus their Amazon presence, it seemed to me that ImportCD's own shipping was higher, unless you spent $85+ at which point it was free. If one is doing price comparisons for the disks themselves, ImportCD isn't always the lowest, so what you might save by spending $85 you might lose to another seller's lower price.

Worth a smile: I bought an OOP Mozart CD just the other day from an Amazon Marketplace seller in Germany. The price of the CD was , and the shipping from Germany was, of course, just $3.99. I received his notice of shipping the next day, so I wonder how this seller ever expects to make a profit if he sends a lot of music to the USA. This one, BTW:

[​IMG]

15. George P

Tell me something, guys? If you saw this "Not a BMG/ex-lib/circular mark in barcode." in an amazon listing, what would you infer?

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

It means it is a regular market cd.
    BMG was a mail order cd club, ex-library = library copy, circular mark (or hole) in barcode = promo, discounted item, etc.

sgb likes this.
  17. George P

It's not, it's a cut out. When I confronted the seller about it, he said he indicated that it was a cut out in his listing. Writing a series of things connected by slashes and preceded by a Not means that the Not applies to all items in the series. I wasn't an English major in college, but I know that much.

When I confronted the seller about this, he offered a refund, said he had indicated that it was a cut-out in his Ad (when he hadn't) and said "we live in an imperfect world." I told him I don't return CDs except in extreme cases and left honest feedback about what had transpired.

18. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Joseph Haydn – Symphonies No.44 "Trauer", No.51 & No.52
    Ab Koster, horn — Tafelmusik — Bruno Weil (Vivarte/Sony Classical)

[​IMG]

19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Well, it is obvious that he lied. We both read it the same way.
    It's funny when he said that "We live in an imperfect world". You should have told him "yeah, it's because there are people out there that are dishonest and try to scam other people."

Anyway, he offered a refund, which is the right thing for a seller to do when the product description does not match the product and you left feedback warning other buyers, which is the right thing to do on your behalf.
    I would have done exactly the same.

20. Mr Bass

I had an even more flagrant example where a vendor said the VHS tape had no damage to the original cover or tape and was not a rental. When it arrived there was no cover except for a rental type generic case. I asked to return for a refund and the vendor said they never promise anything about any of the covers on the items they sell only the tape or dvd itself. I sent back their original email sales notice which specified the cover was original and undamaged! They said ok ok we'll do you a favor and return the money. I would note that this vendor had a very high approval rate. A big part of the problem is that people don't complain or rate them down for this nonsense. Also Marketplace vendors often ship cds and dvd in inadequate packaging.

21. George P

Yeah, I wanted to say, "sure, it's an imperfect world, no need to make it more imperfect!"

22. George P

That attitude of "we'll do you a favor" (and ignore the fact that it is they who are at fault here) drives me batty!! It's no wonder why these "entrepreneurs" sell CDs for a living online. That attitude wouldn't fly at any service job I have had - not even McDonalds!

So true, very often a high approval rate simply means that they cover all of their many mistakes (eventually) not that they don't make any.

I had a seller give me so much trouble on a resealed product that even after giving me exactly what I wanted, I still left poor feedback documenting what had happened.

Mr Bass likes this.
  23. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Some correction is needed. It appears that Amazon is phasing the sales tax in, starting with the New England states first. Give it some time, it will hit Louisiana at some point.

24. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

When it comes to shipping, BRO has the best rate. IIRC, the first CD is $6 and it is 10 cents for each additional CD afterward. The downside with BRO is its selections are somewhat limited.

25. drh

drh Talking Machine

Are there any states that don't have sales tax? OK, besides Delaware? And if so, don't they make up for it with whopping big income taxes? (Not looking to get political here; just curious.) Happily, I'm not being charged tax on my recent winnings in a mail auction of 78s, as the auctioneer is in Texas. Among them are several 14" Pathes--my avatar machine will be getting a workout! (Mind you, the postage is not exactly free, but at least it's not as bad as when I buy the things from England... :yikes:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.