Jethro Tull 'Benefit' - New Steve Wilson stereo and 5.1 remixes*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Thanks!

2. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

It is a really annoying menu design. The problem is that when you have played the whole album, the menu options on the bottom disappear and the main menu comes up automatically thus making it unable to play the extra tracks also mixed by SW in 5.1. So you have to re-enter the submenu called 2013 Steven Wilson mixes and choose Extra tracks on the far right on the bottom. There are 5 extra tracks, which you can play both in dts 96/24 surround and in high rez 96/24 LPCM stereo depending on what audio option you chose previously. The 5 tracks are
    Singing All Day
    Sweet Dream
    Teacher UK single
    Teacher US album version

When you are in the submenu Original Mixes, you have only three extra tracks in their original stereo mix in 96/24 high rez Flat transfer:
    Sweet Dream
    Witch's Promise

3. GEK

GEK Still Rockin

Found a copy on sale last Wednesday at FYE.

4. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Just listening to CD 1 of the set as we speak ... !!

Full compliments to Steven Wilson for increasing the clarity and punch on my fave Tull LP (hello, Clive Bunker!!), while managing to retain much of the 'enigmatic' atmosphere of the production (a difficult balance.)

Time will tell whether this will supplant the old mix as my go-to ... New lamps for old?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  5. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Please post the exact options. Still no luck here. Tried warp2600's suggestions too. Extra tracks are all playing in stereo. (Using Pioneer DV-79AVi Elite DVD player and analog 5.1 outs.) Thanks fellas. I'm sure I'll kick myself when I get it sorted out.

6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I tried to buy this locally but no luck so Amazon is shipping it instead along with some Arvo Part CDs.

7. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

Steven Wilson once agains breathes new life into a classic album. I've played the remix cd about a dozen times since receiving it. The memory of when I first heard the album (at the home of a now deceased close friend upon it's first release) came back vividly to me while listening to the opening of "With You There To Help Me". I literally felt chills.

bluemooze and jsayers like this.
  8. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Main menu > Steve Wilson 2013 Mixes > Audio (in between [Select Track] and [Extra Tracks] > choose DTS 5.1 or Dolby 5.1 > [auto dump back out to Steven Wilson main menu] > Extra Tracks

Do these not work for you? (I'm on a 2.0 system myself)

Whoever designed these album/song screens has a mental defect [is that PC enough?], because there's no way to tell what you're playing for sure.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  9. patsdelight

patsdelight Forum Resident

Most (if not all) DVD player remote controls have an "info" button that will display audio info, such as bitrate, stream type, and number of channels.

10. nbakid2000

Exactly, but I shouldn't have to press that button. It should be displayed on the screen automatically.

showtaper, PhilBiker and ParloFax like this.
  11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Looks like nbakid2000 beat me to it.

sparkydog likes this.
  12. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

My vinyl copy arrived today from Amazon UK.

I'm impressed! Great clarity, separation of instruments, soundstaging and punch. Much, much better than my old cd (haven't heard the SW cd. but don't need to, as the vinyl is wonderful).

It's also dead quiet. One bummer, it's warped, but I find about one in three or four arrive warped these days, so I'm just going to buy a dewarper pouch and be done with it.

13. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

Haven't bought it yet, but I'm really jealous, it sounds like it's a great purchase! But I'll have to wait until I can afford it (and until my painful otitis goes away :( )

Mine:

1- A Passion Play
    2- Benefit
    3- Heavy Horses

(TAAB is slot #4!)

Great effect! You know it's recorded backwards, right?

14. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I feel your pain, I really do! This is about the same ratio I am experiencing these days as well....quite discouraging because I would love to order the vinyl, but my printer is running out of paper from all these pre-paid Amazon return labels and quite frankly, I am tired of seeing the guy at my local UPS drop off! :)

ybe likes this.
  15. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Every time I've ordered from Amazon UK and received a less than perfect vinyl I go through the returns process only to get an email the next day telling me to keep the dud copy due to the cost of shipping vs the price of the item. And they still send me the free replacement.

16. nbakid2000

Have you also tried the "Audio" button on your remote to flip through the audio layers when listening to any of the extras?

stereoptic likes this.
  17. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Is there a 5.1 mix of "Teacher" on this set?

18. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Yes! Finally! :winkgrin:
    To you and all the other kind members who helped me, thanks... you steered me into pressing the AUDIO button, which showed several 2.1 mixes of the bonus tracks, then pressed AUDIO again to change the options - voila, 5.1 mixes of all!!! Thanks again.

warp2600, stereoptic and Runt like this.
  19. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I didn't, but it makes perfect sense now that you mention it.

20. jordevi

jordevi Forum Resident

Are you sure about that? I think I remember having reversed that part and hearing just a lot of sonic nonsense.

21. jpgettes

jpgettes Senior Member

How long did yours take to arrive? I ordered mine on Oct 28 with an estimated delivery date of Nov 5 and still no sign of it.

22. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Hate to have to wade through the hundreds of posts here but can someone tell me how this remix actually came out so well when the master tapes were reported lost and no better sound could be retrieved from what there was to work with? That's what I'd read, anyway. Thanks!

Mine's in the mail, so haven't heard it yet. This is my favourite Tull album.

23. Steve Wilson didn't need the original master tapes to make his remix, he used the multi track tapes to create a "new" master.

24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Neither the stereo master tapes nor the multitracks were missing for this album.

25. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Was it maybe Stand Up where the original master tapes are missing? I think I read that on this board at one point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.