Three (Now Eight) Upcoming Sinatra/Capitol Titles on MFSL LP & SACD*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I'd love to have shiny new, SACD of A Swingin' Affair by (meaning before) the holidays. Soon the air will have that cold bite to it, the leaves will be falling -- and I'm going to need this one.

The sleepless nights. The daily fights...
    The quick toboggan, when you reach the heights...
    I miss the kisses and I miss the bites...
    I wish I were in love again!

DJ WILBUR and DLant like this.
  2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

First, I have to mention that I love your "Powered Toast Man" avatar! I agree that we really need that "Swingin' Affair" disc, as soon as possible, it's easily my second favorite CAPITOL album, right after "Only The Lonely".

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Three more Sinatra SACDs before the end of the year would be welcome additions in my home. :)

DJ WILBUR, DLant and hodgo like this.
  4. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

I think we are pretty well served with Sinatra material this Christmas: four new samplers from UMG, a box set with five Capitol/Reprise albums (with possibly new remasters?), several different re-issues of "Duets" (with bonus material yet to be determined), two samplers with Columbia-era material and to top all that SACDs from MFSL. Not all of this may appeal to everyone, but it's not that bad at all!

hodgo and MLutthans like this.
  5. SinatraFan

SinatraFan Well-Known Member

I agree. The more Sinatra, the better!

Hope MOFI does release those SACDs in time for Christmas. Thanks for the update, AztecChimera.

shicorp and hodgo like this.
  6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Maybe they could sneak in a Jolly Christmas SACD while they are at it.

shicorp, DLant and Bob F like this.
  7. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

That would be nice, but it seems like FSE is content to repackage Frank's big Christmas hits with one or two "new" songs each season.

8. aoxomoxoa

Yes that sucks to put it bluntly.

9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

That's interesting, because someone at the SFF just posted this today:

10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

No matter how frustrating it may be for some to have to wait longer for these titles, to me the most important things are that they're most definitely coming AND the correct master tapes are being used.

shicorp, aoxomoxoa, mpayan and 4 others like this.
  11. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

Weird. The reply to me indicated the Customer Service person (in Chicago) had info from the sound lab (in Sebastopol). This newer reply just says "estimate not available".

I'll be in Sebastopol next month. I'll try to do some reconnaissance at the lab :kilroy:

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  12. Pants Party

"Amen" to that. It wasn't that long ago, that these weren't even a possibility. The relatively short wait for the release date will be loooooooooooooong forgotten when these are sitting on our shelves.

Are we really going to get Wee Small Hours from the correct master tapes?!?!? I still can't believe this is happening... (even though I own all three SACDs thus far). Maybe because the next batch is (and has been) such a critical component in my Fall/Winter/Seasonal line-up. And also because I've been avoiding my old digital copies, eagerly anticipating their retirement.

13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think Ill be nervous about these until I have Wee Small Hours, SFSL, CFWM and Swingin Affair in my paws and know that they sound the way they are meant to sound.

DLant, Cousin It and mikrt17 like this.
  14. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Per a Facebook comment from MoFi today;

"Thanks, Dustin! We are hoping to release Point of No Return by the end of this year if there are no delays."

Doesn't seem too promising for anything other than PoNR.

15. aoxomoxoa

:mudscrying:

DLant likes this.
  16. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

"If there are delays, get the Beatles at the BBC reissues instead.

See ya in 2015"

17. Pants Party

While I can deal with delays... as we know, more time allows opportunity for things "to change." So let's hope nothing does. The good news is, it frees up funds for other music! And there's always other music. :agree:

I am looking forward to Point of No Return, since I haven't played it very much recently. When I first started gathering up Sinatra albums, this was one of the ones I played a lot. I really liked the song selection and the arrangements/orchestration were rather lush. Even though it was a little "sleepy" as in it didn't feel like it was striving for much -- it was a nice, even-keeled and consistent album.

I haven't returned to it much in recent years -- but I am really looking forward to MOFI's fresh coat of paint. I hope it helps "rekindle the flame" for what was one of Sinatra's best albums, containing some of the greatest heavy-hitters in the Great American Songbook.

1. "(Ah, the Apple Trees) When the World Was Young" (Johnny Mercer, M. Philippe-Gerard, Angele Marie T. Vannier) - 3:48
    2. "I'll Remember April" (Don Raye, Gene de Paul, Patricia Johnston) - 2:50
    3. "September Song" (Kurt Weill, Maxwell Anderson) - 4:21
    4. "A Million Dreams Ago" (Lew Quadling, Eddie Howard, Dick Jurgens) - 2:41
    5. "I'll See You Again" (Noël Coward) - 2:44
    6. "There Will Never Be Another You" (Mack Gordon, Harry Warren) - 3:09
    7. "Somewhere along the Way" (Kurt Adams, Sammy Gallop) - 3:01
    8. "It's a Blue World" (Bob Wright, Chet Forrest) - 2:49
    9. "These Foolish Things (Remind Me of You)" (Jack Strachey, Harry Link, Holt Marvell) - 3:59
    10. "As Time Goes By" (Herman Hupfeld) - 3:17
    11. "I'll Be Seeing You" (Sammy Fain, Irving Kahal) - 2:47
    12. "Memories of You" (Eubie Blake, Andy Razaf) - 3:53

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  18. Bob F

Some answers now revealed. More questions remain (e.g. status of MFSL releases). See thread:

19. Bob F

The Music Direct 2014 catalog arrived in today's mail. The MoFi Sinatra page (p. 154) shows all five titles we've been waiting for since last year's catalog. I'm not sure if it signifies anything, but Point of No Return, Swingin' Lovers, and Swingin' Affair are at the top of the ad in a much larger size than all the other album covers. Come Fly With Me and Wee Small Hours are much smaller, but are labelled "Coming Soon." (Swingin' Lovers is also on the back cover.) Let's hope we're not still waiting when the 2015 catalog comes along...

jbg and DLant like this.
  20. aoxomoxoa

I saw that too, Bob. Quite a few MOFI titles I wasn't expecting! Lots more Miles and even FOREVER CHANGES by Love.

It will take many moons for some of them to actually see release. That is the only downside!

21. moss

moss Forum Resident

I'm OK with waiting, other than my own impatience spurred. I think this at least suggests nothing has changed, yet, with regard to both catalogs being under one roof.

22. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

So no new titles beyond the already-announced ten? Bummer.

23. aoxomoxoa

We won't live that long!!!

24. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

No kidding! Five titles in five years. At that rate, they'd finish the Capitol series sometime around 2028!

25. Bob F

This is the new MD catalog ad:

Music Direct 2014 p154.jpg

DLant, MMM and bozburn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.