Jethro Tull 'Benefit' - New Steve Wilson stereo and 5.1 remixes*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

So the LP version is the Wilson mix with the U.S. track listing?
    Interesting...

2. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Especially considering how much the band hate the US version - the cd booklet is full of references to their dislike of it.

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

But the LP is a Record Store Day release which is aimed mostly at record collectors. It's still pretty cool. I wonder if the use the Reprise labels?

4. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

I ordered it on 30th October, arriving on 12th November, so it took 13 days, which is normal for UK to my door in Australia (I think it takes a few days to get to Australia, then our inefficient postal service takes the rest).

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Any comments on the hi-rez stereo? :)

6. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

Absolutely. Ian stated it many times and if you reverse that part you find out it's actually backwards. It sounds a bit nonsense probalby because the effects on it are forwards!

7. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

On vinyl - Steven Wilson stereo remix - UK version available now + 3,000 numbered copies of the US version to be released on Black Friday (11/29/2013).

8. tootull

Reminded me of this: Jethro Tull Stand Up album.

“In rehearsal and recording we all tried different approaches to the songs. Clive and Glen formed the basic backbone of the group leaving Martin and me to experiment a bit more with different sounds and, for the time, some radical techniques in sound recording. We often plugged instruments into the rotating Leslie speaker cabinet to treat the sound with the typical Hammond Organ-like tones. Martin’s guitar in A New Day Yesterday was recorded with me standing on the guitar speaker cabinet, swinging a microphone, Roger Daltry-fashion around the outside to get a phasing, swirling sound for the main riff.” - Ian Anderson

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-an-unusual-manner.255726/page-2#post-6716352

Plan9 likes this.
  9. Bob M

Bob M Well-Known Member

I think the remixed Benefit is amazing! I compared it with the last remaster, and it is better balanced with cleaner bass and better soundstage in my opinion. I think it is worth every penny. The wonderful thing about Steven Wilson's work is that he enhances the original, but does not monkey around with it much. Another stellar job by Mr. Wilson. Next stop - Passion Play in the New Year last I heard.

10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I like the new mix too. It seems to me that the rhythm guitar parts are more forward in the mix, almost making it sound like a rhythm track except of course, everything else is there. The bass drum really pops and the low frequencies in general are more prominent, in a good way.

bhazen and DonnyMe like this.
  11. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

Must be my ears... I can't tell much difference between the new remix and the last remaster, which I think is terrific. I play the 2 versions of With you There to Help Me, old and new, and just can;t hear much difference. Where is it?

12. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Just listened to side B of the vinyl again. Wow is all I can say. The last resonant acoustic guitar chord at the end of Sossity sounds like it is being played right in front of me. So natural and lifelike.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I guess you need to get the vinyl as it is superior to that digital crap!:laugh: ;)
    Wilson hit the mark this time!
    His Aualung was off the money somewhat on a few songs...still love it though!

tootull likes this.
  14. jpgettes

jpgettes Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. Mine finally arrived and I couldn't be happier. What a great sounding record. I need to listen again (had a houseful of people Saturday night when it arrived, cranked it!) but it sounded like the flute was more prominent in places, not as much reverb maybe. Guitar tone just shines through like crazy. Again, just first impressions...will listen many more times this week.

15. Bob M

Bob M Well-Known Member

In general, I think most of the remasters coming out are a matter of degrees. If Benefit was being compared to the original CD issue, we would probably think that a completely new technology had been used that was going to change the course of CD SQ forever! But the last remaster was pretty decent. I agree with Six String - it is better overall - just more clarity in all aspects, with a special emphasis on the acoustic guitars and better flute phrasing. On my system, it sounds so rich and warmer - but everyones' ears are different, and so are the acoustics, gear - it really is a personal thing.

Lonson likes this.
  16. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Just played the 5.1 and extra tracks for my wife to listen to. She teared up! We started to date in 70 and went to 3 tull concerts at that time and played the Benefit 8-track so much. It means a lot to us.

SM7609, bluemooze, warp2600 and 4 others like this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's very special man!:righton:

18. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

That's what music is all about IMO. The emotional power of music is amazing.

tootull and Lonson like this.
  19. tootull

From what I understand. :shh: Yes to the Reprise labels.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  20. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Currently listening to the new stereo mix in 24/96 from my 2CD/DVD set which finally arrived today from Fishpond. Immensely pleased with the added hi-res "bite" on the flute, as well as with the added clarity on all the multiple guitar parts, which, at the same time, don't sound overtly analytical due to to the overall warm EQ mastering choices.

Now the "con's": the digipak arrived with a badly ripped corner - there's a 3cm (!) split on it, which obviously happened at the factory. I'm 99.9% sure it didn't happen in transit, since the bubble mailer was fine (boo to Fishpond for selling damaged items), while the tightly sealed digipak spine with the split was bent all over the place, and the split looks like a perfect "continuation" of this bending (caused by unevenly done fold lines, which is a common problem with many Deluxe sets, albeit I haven't seen such bad cases before).

Oh well, life is too short for replacing every defective item that was bought for a pure pleasure rather than as an investment, so I'm going to fix the split myself and enjoy the music. Steven Wilson wins in this game, QC department looses.

21. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

It is absolutely wonderful. I am talking about the new mix. No TAAB blunder here (Mew had retired).
    When I first listened to the high-rez stereo version of the new mix I realized how much better this release could have even been if issued as a dvd-a with the surround mix in lossless 24/96. I do not listen to the original mixes so I cannot comment on that.

22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks! I will be ordering this set. It will be my first version of Benefit.

23. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

I used to listen to Jethro Tull in high-school but It was a compilation cassette tape. So I knew some of the songs on Benefit but not all. Now, I listen to the whole album in one go then the bonus tracks sometimes in highrez stereo or the dts surround and gives me pure joy. This is one of my best purchases this year.

24. tootull

Thick as a Brick - Just noting that Peter Mew's mastering was removed from the corrected version of the 5.1 DVD.

Post #4 at QQ; All must read the last part about Benefit - thanks to Steven Wilson
    http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?18345-Dvda-is-not-a-dead-format-Can-be-played-at-home(Oppo)-and-in-Cars(Acura)&s=2fff3213bb5da83731349ffcc26d0f97&p=195555&viewfull=1#post195555

stereoptic likes this.
  25. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I highly recommend listening to the original mix first. Those CDs can be had for fairly cheap (or you can listen on the DVD/Blu-ray). This is not a true representation of the album. It's a very good remix but it's not the real thing. It'd be like going to see a "new reimagined" Mona Lisa without knowing the original.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.