Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Well said and since I am the same when it comes to piano works, I can totally understand.

5-String likes this.
  2. drh

drh Talking Machine

My favorite (probably ruled out of court for most here by the dim early '30s broadcast sound quality): Oskar Fried with the USSR State SO. It's been on an obscure LP, on a Lys CD, and on CD on a label I forget that pops up on Berkshire's lists now and then. Never heard the LP except on Jim Sjveda's "The Record Shelf," in bad WABE-FM reception in Atlanta. Of the two CD issues, the one that Berkshire carries is preferable.

3. drh

drh Talking Machine

If you have a tolerance for primitive sound quality, on that basis you'd probably like Fried.

4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks for the recommendation, I 've heard of Oscar Fried but never actually heard him.This looks like a rare find but I 'll look for the LP or CD.

5. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Another beauty...I don't mind the Lute sharing the limelight with a Viola....

Attached Files:

6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

001.JPG
    here is my mono copy, which i got in Sept. for 9 cents. i was impressed by both performance & sound.

5-String, RiRiIII and Robin L like this.
  7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I bought it for the Tallis Fantasia.

RiRiIII likes this.
  8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I don't think HIPP conductors lack a personal soul to place into their interpretations. As Berlioz was the recognized master of orchestration, it behooves a conductor to follow his instructions to the letter. However, for a variety of reasons, it hasn't happened yet. I've heard/owned both Norrington's and Gardiner's renditions of the Symphonie Fantastique, found both lacking in heft, drive, passion, fury, insanity. Ormandy lacks the insanity, is otherwise on board, the other three conductors I mentioned previously have all those qualities. Argenta, magically, is the craziest. Thus, in my book, the most authentic. This is virtuoso music, people wrestling with cumbersome pre-valve brass are going to have a rough go of it. And the tone colors of the modern orchestra are the end result of what Berlioz started. Some classical/early romantic music really comes alive with the historically informed approach. Zinman/Tonhalle's Robert Schumann Symphonic cycle is the best example I am aware of, along with his [correctly] very speedy account of Beethoven's Missa Solemnis. But Berlioz seems to work best as a full-on assault of the senses.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    5-String and jukes like this.
  9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

i have two copies of the Odyssey reissue LP.

RiRiIII likes this.
  10. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

This new Hilary Hahn is really good!
    Listening to it on Spotify right now.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Byrdsmaniac and jukes like this.
  11. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Handel's Op. 4 which is usually played on the organ, here is played on piano. I loved it. Excellent sound on the stereo SACD portion. I haven't listened to the CD layer yet.
    Matthias Kirshnereit, piano
    Deutsche Kammerakademie Neuss
    Lavard Skou Larsen, conductor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

I'd second that - despite I've never been into Berlioz in any serious manner...

Yep, and that's what makes him alluring. But for some reason the recordings - usually old LP's - we have haven't done much to me: Gergijev & Wiener Philh. (digi that I've listened only once, I guess), Karajan & Berliner Philh., Markevitch & Orch. des Concerts Lamoureux, Monteux & Wiener Philh. I would have expected that Igor Markevitch with his Orch. Lamoureux have made a mark on my memory, but no - none whatsoever. (I looked at my dB and noticed that some of those are also on cd, but I have no recollection of them. Obviously not my kindamusic.) I've liked Munch's RCA recording.

13. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

I have difficulties to imagine that Sir Colin is at home with Berlioz's madness! :) (But have ordered them in some other way than alphabetically or choronologically?)

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Although the emotional color of the Davis recordings is paler than Argebta, Mitropolous, Bernstein, Colin Davis' various recordings of the Symphonie Fantastique are beautifully rendered. The two Philips recordings—The LSO and the Comcertgebouw—are excellent, if less passionate than some previously mentioned.

15. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Love and Gardiner are on opposite sides of the barricades in my book (albeit I definitely enjoyed his Carmen with Antonacci... or was it Antonacci's Carmen with Gardiner?). I have probably 3 Phantastiques - Bernstein's, Mackerras's, Inbal's (IIRC, the last two have that odd execution scene repeat) and like them all, only slightly preferring Mackerras with RPO (probably due to the spectacular budget SACD sonics). After getting these 3 and in the process of "compacting" my collection I got rid of my very first recording of the symphony (on the uber-bargain ZYX label and with a "no-name" conductor), which, per se, wasn't bad either and even had a bit more brutal last movement than others. It's pretty hard to spoil the piece.

16. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying more from the big box.

17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I haven't yet managed to get Zinman's Missa Solemnis, which we have discussed before. Maybe one day, maybe soon. It is difficult to get track of all the wonderful recommendations in this place. :righton:

18. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I read about it. An ambitious undertaking.

19. john greenwood

4 Schumann concertos in the box right? How do they evolve over time?

20. john greenwood

With Bach, I enjoy solo keyboard works on the piano,, but Hewitt's performance of the concertos - not so much. I'll try again with Perahia.

I assume I would feel the same way about Handel.

21. George P

3, actually. I had already heard the earliest one months ago and did not compare the two later ones side by side, sorry.

22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

What Robin said. His Concertgebouw is great but I have a slight preference to his 2000 "live" recording with the LSO which is recorded in a way that simulates better the concert atmosphere, meaning less microphones were used.

23. john greenwood

Back in the 70's Berlioz was considered a Davis specialty. IIRC, his "Les Troyens" was the first recording of the work and it got a rapturous reception. (Personally I didn't care for his "Symphonie Fantastique.")

24. john greenwood

BTW - the Oppo offers built-in digital preamplification. Maybe a temporary solution.

25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Gergijev was worse than I expected. Karajan doesn't really understand this work. Monteux is good but the competition is fierce. Haven't heard Markevitch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.