Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

:righton:

3. john greenwood

Great disc. Even came to appreciate the liberties he takes with tempi in the 35th (although Szell remains my standard there).

4. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Monteux and The San Francisco Symphony Orchestra,Hermann Scherchen and The LSO,both Wllem van Otterloo and Eduard van Beinum and the Concertgebouw,there are dozens and dozens of good Fantastiques.

Is this Dutoit you speak of his Decca/London one from the early 80s?I have a few of his LPs of this period,and I'm lukewarm on them.

5. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Pretty much as good as all the other later Living Stereos do on vinyl.Is it a bad transfer or remaster?I don't listen to CDs,so the vinyl is all I know.My copy of this is a White Dog.

6. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

The best bells I've heard on this piece were in the first all-digital Colin Davis recording. The other one (earlier) gets the attention but this one is just as good and the bells are spookier.

This one:
    [​IMG]

5-String and RiRiIII like this.
  7. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Yes indeed.

Well, Dutoit is not a very profound conductor, but his Montreal recordings are very fun to listen to especially given DECCA's sumptuous sound.

Mr Bass and RiRiIII like this.
  8. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

9. Graphyfotoz

Getting time to dig out some of my favorite Classic Christmas Classical! :righton:

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Robin L like this.
  10. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

These recordings are great 70s analogue ones. Nothing to do with Marston's transfers of historical recs, if this is what you mean. Now, if this Warner box sounds better than the previous EMI remasters, it is a question that intrigues a lot due to that footnote.

11. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Of course, it all depends who does the remastering and if they use NR and/or compression. If they do, it won't matter that the original tapes were used. Most of the EMI, DECCA and DG remasters I have heard were inferior to the original CD issues.

Mr Bass, dale 88 and Graphyfotoz like this.
  12. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

This 1971 recording of the Rach 2 pales next to Rubinstein's earlier recording, made in 1956. Better sound, but not enough panache in the outer movements.

13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

DownloadedFile.jpeg

PS: Probably my favorite Messiah—because it's so un-HIP.

sgb and Graphyfotoz like this.
  14. Graphyfotoz

OUCH!! :oops:

John S and Robin L like this.
  15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks, I don't know if it's because of a bad transfer or mastering, maybe a bit of both I guess. I am spoiled by vinyl and I think that digital does not do violin well. Piano, on the other hand sounds IMO better on digital.

Anyway, I am used to hear a woody and warm tone when I listen to violin. Szeryng's violin tone on the other hand seems to me kind of harsh and unpleasant on this cd. Not to a degree that it spoils the enjoyment of this excellent performance, but I noticed it right away.

16. Graphyfotoz

I meant as much a diff like the quality of Marston recordings.
    I guess I'm seeing to the contrary and I hafta agree that many remasters have quashed the sound.
    Too much NR washes the sound quality at many levels.
    So far only remasters I have heard that I like on a straight CD player are the SACD's that play on reg CD.
    Somehow the regular sound from a SACD is crisper and more defined than a standard CD of same music.
    EMI's (ART) recording have been decently done from what I have heard of em.
    Not perfect but pretty impressive just the same.
    Unless my hearing is going bad? :rolleyes:

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

It's alright,

Hopping-Goat.gif

I'm still getting reading for thanksgiving. Probably need to play some Ives:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5-String likes this.
  18. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

After having watched couple of hours the live stream of yours I'm slightly dizzy... But that's no news ;)

Végh Q. Ludwig van box came today. Hm...

19. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Ludwig van Beethoven – Symphony No.6 Op.68 "Pastoral"
    — Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra — Wolfgang Sawallisch (RCO Live)

[​IMG]

20. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Jean Sibelius – Symphony No.4 Op.63
    — Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra — Paavo Berglund (RCO Live)

[​IMG]

21. john greenwood

I haven't gotten past his 1940's recording . . .

22. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I doubt this SACD version is still available ...

23. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have this rock & roll version of Handel Messiah as well, mainly for historical reason. This is probably the first modern performance (after Sir Malcolm Sargent) ...

24. drh

drh Talking Machine

Interesting--I can't speak for violin, but I think that unless handled with care digital tends to "dry out" piano tone, sapping it of warmth and bloom. That was especially true of discs that came out in the first few years after the CD format's introduction. That's not to say that a good digital piano recording is impossible--certainly I have any number that are quite beautiful--but just that it's evidently tricky to pull off.

For organ music, on the other hand, I thought CD was the best choice right from the get go. That rock-solid pitch stability really pays dividends when presenting the "King of Instruments," and I never found the kind of tonal issues with organ that I often did with piano.

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I was thinking more in terms of wow and flutter issues as well as speed stability that affect the reproduction of piano's long sustained notes. Some people are more sensitive than others to these effects. I agree that a lot of early piano cds lack the warmth and bloom of thier analogue counterparts. I think that this might be more a consequence of bad transferring and not as much of digital's inability to reproduce the sound of the piano.

sgb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.