Three (Now Eight) Upcoming Sinatra/Capitol Titles on MFSL LP & SACD*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

It doesn't bode well for the future, Matt.

2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Bob where are FSE in all this surely they must know how badly thought of the Norberg masters are, don't they care or more to point don't they have any say in this at all.

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I'm sure that economics plays (play?) a role in these decisions.

bozburn likes this.
  4. hodgo

Yeah true it does Matt, but when you think about the MFSL cancellations what have FSE/UMG to gain from doing it, these releases are likely to be really only sought out by we audiophiles most of us who won't touch the mass market products UMG are releasing, we have it all anyway and we also won't touch it because of its lousy mastering, we will though buy the MOFI's for better sound, to me its a dumb move on their part and somewhat spiteful to dedicated fans.

AJH and bozburn like this.
  5. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident

I got the awful news too - this totally sucks, and I fear this will be the same fate with the other promised FS releases.... More troubling is that we can no really rely on MoFi's advance announcements - even if it's not their fault, waiting six months and longer only to find out that our patience was in vain definitely (to use the same word) sucks.

6. MLutthans

Wee Small Hours was announced nearly a year ago. :oops:

7. hodgo

Jordon, one thing I think we can safely say about the NKC situation is that Steve/Kevin's SACD's & Vinyl releases via AP prove that the family (who still control Nat's interest in all this) actually care about SQ, I'm not sure the same can be said for FSE where the family are not in control of Frank's interest.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  8. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident

I think you're on to something there - let's hope in 2015 we get something halfway decent out of the big boys ...

9. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I can stick with the UK disc for In the Wee Small Hours but it sucks that we still don't have a mono digital release for Come Fly With Me.

trumpetplayer and hodgo like this.
  10. MLutthans

^^^^A mighty fine disc.

11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Is anybody grumbling over on the "Family" forum? Any responses?

12. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Which? the Dell "Wee Small Hrs"?

13. Bob F

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  14. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I sincerely hope that is the case. But just because they've approved the titles that SH has mastered doesn't necessarily mean they feel one way or another about sound quality. Lest we forget, they've put their names on some pretty atrocious sounding packages as well.

15. hodgo

Oh absolutely, I'd love to own a well mastered version of the NKC singles collection box set but refuse to buy the box in its present form due its awful SQ which in my view is unlistenable. I do though like to think that Steve's remasters are the start of a different strategy.

16. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

I posted this on
    New MFSL Sinatra Issues on CD and 180g Vinyl
    http://sinatrafamily.com/forum/frank-sinatra-8/new-mfsl-sinatra-issues-cd-180g-vinyl-34633/index35.html:

"I expect a huge disappointment. The MFSL SACD's of "Where Are You?" & "No One Cares" were fantastic. If we don't get a sympathetic mastering engineer for the rest of Frank's catalogue, I'll just avoid re-purchasing any other titles or look to the European grey market instead."
    I fully expect that this thread will disappear.

17. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

They could be planning "Deluxe Editions" of the Capitol albums.

18. Bob F

No, "Super Deluxe Editions" — with stamped lithographs and new Duophonic LP versions of the mono albums.

hodgo likes this.
  19. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

This thread is bringing me down.

Amazing to think that in this day and age, with all the ability and information the world has, we can't get proper all analog vinyl reissues of the most important landmark 20th century recordings. And yes, I believe there is a significant difference using an all analog source when cutting vinyl.

They had to do the Beatles vinyl from a cheesy digital source, because of blah blah blah... and now Sinatra (who I care about more) will have little to no hope of getting better treatment. Mofi was the last hope, as far as I can tell.

Sorry for the rant. This is disappointing.

stevelucille and Donutsss like this.
  20. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

And...for the Centenial and the 21st Century... Sinatra in da Hood: Rap/Hip Hop remixes with today's stars, including will.i.am and Cee-lo. Sound familiar?

3rd Uncle Bob and hodgo like this.
  21. David m bond

David m bond Forum Resident

In all honesty I can't say I'm surprised by the Norberg masterings being used for the 5 album box. It is a budget box so your going to get the standard versions chucked in.

I'm actually interested in the presentation of the box, discs cases etc. any pictures you can share Bob? Thanks

22. David m bond

David m bond Forum Resident

Delete this quickly we don't need to give them ideas!

DLant, bozburn and hodgo like this.
  23. Bob F

—> other thread

24. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Maybe they'll be "specially abridged" as well.

25. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I'm still hoping for the three FS MoFi SACDs. Thank God that we still have the UK-Box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.