Are you on discogs? what's the collection worth?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by phish, Sep 28, 2011.

1. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

RYM is one of the ugliest ad-filled websites I've ever seen.

jesterthejedi, Beech and Repeter13 like this.
  2. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

You never tried the "Copy to draft" link? That would have been the first place to start.

3. UncleSpellbinder

UncleSpellbinder Forum Resident

In today's world of the major browsers having extensions/addons for ad blocking, I haven't seen even one add on any site for years.

4. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I will now! They didn't make it easy enough for me to find! :laugh:

5. capn

capn Forum Resident

Baron, my point is that there are 10 copies of NMTB listed in the release notes as UK and with a 1977 release date.

You then have to go into each and everyone of those listings and check which is which - seems pretty silly when they could just have a section in the master release notes to denote "original pressing".

6. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Or you can add a custom note to the format that says "1st", "2nd" and so on. You can then mention the deadwax info in other identifiers.

7. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I've never seen an ad there and I frequent the site a lot. Do people really not have ad block plug-ins installed in their browser? It makes a world of difference and a much more enjoyable web experience.

8. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I have Ad-Block on Firefox. I've forgotten what loud banner ads are like. :)

Paul W likes this.
  9. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident

You must have a h#ll of a collection. :righton:

10. Repeter13

Repeter13 Forum Resident

The best part is that the Crate Digger app on my phone gives me access to my collection when I'm hunting in the bins.

I can add items from my phone using the barcode scanner functionality - so it's easy to maintain your collection once you've entered it.

Though it took me the better part of 6 months to input roughly 1000 CDs and LPs:

Minimum: CA$8,893.55
    Median: CA$12,938.79
    Maximum: CA$19,769.91

Unsurprisingly, I've added a whole bunch of Canadian releases - the copy to draft function is very useful.

I still have 15-20 items that need manual inputs, these take time and can wait for the holidays.

Yes - roughly 3/4ths of mine have sales.

jesterthejedi likes this.
  11. chuckpo

chuckpo Forum Resident

I'm still rebuilding my collection. I was dumb and sold all of my records when I was a kid to a local store and I bet I've bought some of them back from them at a markup since.

Collection Value Range
    • Minimum:
      $1,602.91
    • Median:
      $2,540.78
    • Maximum:
      $4,967.80

12. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

I care little of the monetary value of my 1800 or so records.
    I buy them to play. :)
    And only use discog's for the odd purchase.

13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Not even remotely close to having all my stuff entered.

Minimum - $32,950.02
    Medium - $54,1497.75
    Maximum - $91,566.17

14. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

Very good site to use and growing everyday. Fees are cheap if you want to sell as opposed to ebay and you dont need to keep relisting stuff.

15. chuckpo

chuckpo Forum Resident

I completely agree. I did not even know about that view until I saw this post. That being said, I do enjoy seeing what my .50 - $2 purchases could go for.

Also, it's kind of a nice online listing of my albums should some insurance need ever arise.

Arkay_East and soundfanz like this.
  16. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

• Minimum:
      $7,588.33
    • Median:
      $13,638.28
    • Maximum:
      $32,107.23
    If we pretend everything I have is in mint condition. :D

17. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

While I find Discogs a fun program to sort my collection, I'm not that interested in the value. And when I do check the value its more for entertainment, I don't see myself selling my CD or records anytime soon.

soundfanz likes this.
  18. phish

phish Jack Your Body Thread Starter

• Minimum:
      $24,505.76
    • Median:
      $43,780.39
    • Maximum:
      $81,035.93

19. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

• Minimum:
      $3,264.28
    • Median:
      $5,185.41
    • Maximum:
      $9,504.56
    my cds aren't on there and some items haven't sold yet

20. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

What do I click on to see the value of my collection?

21. phish

go to your collection page and in the top right, you can change how you are viewing the information and choose "text by statistics".

22. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Thanks!!!

phish likes this.
  23. The Scarecrow

The Scarecrow Well-Known Member

Oh this isn't going to over value records at all. The last thing the used record selling market needs is an inflated sense of worth, especially with the "few if any copies are/were listed but I know it's worth a couple hundred" and the "eBay/discogs selling price = true market value" myths. Good for fun but it can definately give the wrong idea, as if eBay and discogs selling prices haven't done that already.

24. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I've used Discogs for a few years, mostly to keep track of what I own, and what I want to own. Bough lots there, and sold some. Very useful depending on how diligent people add data. Some artists have every release variation listed. Some don't even have an entry.

My collection is valued at 18k, 27k and 42k. Not bad considering only 1700 items and roughly 500 have no past sales. The numbers are hugely biased, there seems to have been a sale of the last Foo Fighters lp for $500+. Must have been signed in blood.

I find it much easier to track items you are thinking of buying or selling. A lot is horrendously overpriced, but there are deals to be had if you are patient. You can also look at past sales for any particular item, click on "Sell your cd/vinyl..." and enter the captcha and there will be the dates and sales of the past. However, not every sale is listed, as I know many I've bought don't appear. So I don't know the reason, but at least you can see what others have paid.

25. phish

in my experience, many of the records i paid decent money for a few years ago are now plentiful and much cheaper in the discogs marketplace....but i remember when discogs didn't have a marketplace either.