Jethro Tull 'Benefit' - New Steve Wilson stereo and 5.1 remixes*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Hm not sure I agree. Some systems sound more clinical/dry than others so who knows.

2. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I'm talking specifically about the music and the arrangements, not the sound quality.

3. marblesmike

But it's the same performances, so not sure what you mean. And SW is very faithful to original mixes.

Can you cite and example or two of what you're referring to?

4. nbakid2000

Let me work on it. Probably not. I'll re-listen and try. But no promises. I hear it though. One of those things I can't really explain.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  5. marblesmike

Thanks.

Also, I'm looking at Bull Moose's RSD page where they mention the US tracklisting version of Benefit...but they say it's probably the original mix, not the SW remix version.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the SW mix is being used for the RSD release? And if so, point me to a source? Thanks!

6. nbakid2000

People on this forum said it's the SW remix, but the US tracklisting.

7. marblesmike

I know people are saying that, but I was wondering if there was a definitive source of info for this. Like I said, Bull Moose's site lists it as likely NOT being the SW remix.

8. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

10. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

any descriptions of what's different about the new mix, if it's "faithful" to the original mix, and yet a remix? A remix has the potential to be drastic. What issues does the remix try to address? I do find the original mix somewhat awkward, in that transition-to-stereo way.

and any new thoughts on the US vs. UK tracklists? I've been listening to the UK "Teacher" and can't get used to it. I believe the band didn't think much of the song -- it kind of shows on the UK version, I think.

11. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I never heard the UK version of Teacher until it was posted in this thread. I would consider the issued remix of the other songs far less drastic than the US to UK Teacher comparison. The UK Teacher was very different to me. The other songs stay mostly true to the original....but they just sound better now.

12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

23964, In this thread there has been nothing page after page of praise for the remix since it came out. At this point what's keeping you from just buying it and finding out for yourself? Wouldn't you rather listen to it than read about it?

Mij Retrac, jsayers and nbakid2000 like this.
  13. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I don't really agree. I think the remix is actually a little bit harsher than the original mix, not "rounded" or "sanded" off. I also don't think it sounds wimpy. I was also surprised that so many people feel that the remix faithfully recreates the original mix - I think it is quite different, and I listened to them back to back and really noticed quite a few differences. The original mix feels like an old shoe to me, and fits my thinking about the album well, but it's great to hear the new version. I find the original mix somewhat more somber than the new one, with the acoustic guitars much more upfront on the remix, leading to a brighter, more "zingy" sound. It's great to have them both.

14. nbakid2000

Just buy it. It's like 20 bucks. It's worth it. It's a good remix. Try it, you'll like it.

pdenny likes this.
  15. rushed again

Agreed, just do it. :)

16. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

who said anything's keeping me from buying it? It's true, the "help me pull the trigger" post is common on these threads, but I didn't intend mine to be one of those.

instead, I'm a very casual Jethro Tull listener who doesn't have this album in any format and was completely unfamiliar with the work of Steven Wilson until coming across this thread a few weeks ago. So I'm looking for description and discussion of the new mixes, rather than just the praise and joy (and shipping updates) that are most of what fills the pages here.

I am interested in picking up a copy, which is why I'd like to hear opinions on the different track lists, if that's ok, seeing as the US version comes out next week. Yes, I'll probably just get the US LP, since I don't like the UK version of "Teacher," but I'm curious, since the band probably prefers the UK version, just as some listeners prefer the original mix. So if anyone would care to indulge in some more discussion on this discussion board...

ParloFax and bluemooze like this.
  17. nbakid2000

Even if we discuss it, everyone's experience will vary. What some describe others may not hear. Really, the only way to find out what the differences are is to actually listen to it. Descriptions really only go so far.

rushed again likes this.
  18. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

"Teacher" isn't on the UK version of the Benefit, but was released only as a single there.

I prefer the US track list (because that's what I was used to) and made a CD-R of the re-mix for the car.

However, I've been listening to the DVD (UK) version of the re-mix at home and am starting to warm up to that track list as well.

Don't know how this will play out in the long run, but a glad to have all the options with this release. This is my favorite Jethro Tull album.

19. rushed again

Anyone else view nothing to say as a stand out here?...among others of course...

20. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

ah, right, thanks for the reminder... well, the real attraction for me is "To Cry You a Song." But from reading around it seems as though maybe that track is not as highly regarded among hardcore fans. Too Sabbath-y?

21. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

It's my favorite Tull song and I'm not a Sabbath fan. I'm not as hardcore a Tull fan as I used to be but they were one of my favorite bands for years. I do tend to like some different songs. My God is by far my favorite on Aqualung.

cc-- likes this.
  22. That would surprise me.

I may have read that Leslie West from Mountain was a fan of that song.

One of my own favorites. But I don't like the live version (mid 70s) with the flute and the organ instead of the harmony guitar. Best as one of those guitar-driven, non-flute Tull hits for me!

Our daughter, not a hard-core Tull fan btw, clicked on this song instantly!

cc-- likes this.
  23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Can't remember hearing "To Cry You A Song" with flute, but I may not have heard them all. I do remember the version from Chicago August 1970 where already John Evan's organ has taken over the guitar part Ian played on the record.

Interesting how Ian has admitted the song was inspired by Blind Faith's "Had To Cry Today." I like both but prefer the Tull song.

24. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

I can't fathom some are slagging the UK mix of Teacher...; there is so much more going on in this version than the US mix.

The guitars!!! :wacko:

Mark E. Moon. and warp2600 like this.
  25. I'll check out that BF song a bit later, thanks.

I was referring to a live version from '76 or '77, that used to be up on Youtube.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.