George Winston ~ December

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Laibach, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident Thread Starter

Despite the abundance of Christmas threads (and a Winter thread) I couldn't resist opening a separate thread about this album, first released in 1982. I always listen to it during the holiday season, and I own a pressing from 1999 plus the 20th Anniversary Edition, released on digipak, which added a few extra songs. My favourite of the tracks is "Variations on the Kanon by Pachelbel", it's simply beautiful.

LouChang and drasil like this.
  2. PiratesFan

PiratesFan Forum Resident

It's a classic and I always play it on Christmas Eve. Captures what I want to feel about the holiday season so perfectly...relaxed and contemplative about all the good in my life.

drasil and Laibach like this.
  3. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

this is a regular at our holiday dinners

if you like this, I highly recommend Liz Story's "The Gift"

rcb30 and PiratesFan like this.
  4. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Great album but the versions you mentioned, to me, are greatly inferior in sound to the excellent original CD which was mastered by the legendary Bernie Grundman. In my opinion seek out the original CD which in my area sells for only $2-3, you likely be very glad you did.

P.S. The album had at least 1 secret remaster. If it's an original that is Made in Japan, WG or early DADC ["made in USA by DADC" in the plastic hub] then you are ensured of it being the original Grundman mastering.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    Laibach likes this.
  5. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Beautiful album and one that deserves to be palyed when you are in front of a warm fire on a cold winters day.

LouChang and Laibach like this.
  6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

One of my favorite "New Age" recordings.
    One of my favorite Christmas albums.
    One of my favorite piano discs.
    And it would probably be my favorite George Winston album...if Autumn had never existed.

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Groove Armada - Serve Chilled

LouChang likes this.
  7. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I'm biased. I'm really into early windham hill stuff--William Ackerman, Alex de Grassi, etc. just about everything from before the whole roster suddenly sounded like shadowfax.

but december is in a class all its own. even if you think less than highly of instrumental new age, you will enjoy this record. the well-known folk and classical tunes are good ('the holly and the ivy' in particular is excellent), but it's Winston's original compositions that really make the record. 'peace,' 'prelude,' and especially 'thanksgiving' play like stark readings of unheard traditional hymns, conveying a sense of holy, melancholy stillness in the heart of winter. his approach is somewhere between Harold Budd and Tim Story--open, ringing, spare while still retaining narrative melodism.

it's also one of the best recordings Ackerman ever produced. the piano is bright and clear, which perfectly suits the music--as does the low noise floor. december was the closest windham hill ever got to ECM. (I haven't heard the CD remaster from this year, but I'd listen to it on vinyl, anyway--it sounds beautiful and copies go for about fifty cents.)

fun fact: this record was apple computer's on-hold music from 1984 to 1995.

LouChang likes this.
  8. LouChang

LouChang her brother (but nobody's bro)

I somehow missed this thread before now. I'm glad to see some more discussion of George Winston. (I started a thread on the CD versions of his Autumn album in 2010. http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/george-winston-autumn-on-cd.228644) I probably have more versions of this album on CD than any other. I first heard "Prelude/Carol of the Bells" on the radio in 1986 and the album been treasured music for me ever since.

I found the 20th anniversary edition CD (one mastering I'd never purchased) at a garage sale recently. I'd never heard it, but was pleasantly surprised to hear tape hiss, as I'd read years ago that it was no-noised. It's dynamic as well. I really don't think there's a bad version of this album, but there are definitely lots of masterings. This one also credits Bernie Grundman. Here are EAC peak levels and DR scores for those who might care:

Code:
    December - 20th Anniversary Edition
    peaks     DR     
    95.9      14     01 Thanksgiving
    92.5      13     20 Jesus, Jesus, Rest Your Head
    79.7      12     03 Joy
    43.9      13     04 Prelude
    99.5      14     05 Carol of the Bells
    94.5      13     06 Night, Part One Snow
    21.4      12     07 Night, Part Two Midnight
    46.1      12     08 Night, Part Three Minstrels
    99.5      12     09 Variations on the Kanon by Pachelbel
    99.4      12     10 The Holly and the Ivy
    96.8      13     11 Some Children See Him
    99.5      19     12 Peace
    41.9      13     13 A Christmas Song
    51.0      16     14 Sleep Baby Mine
    Yes, I know it's July. :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

A wonderful album that every forum member should own. :righton:

DEAN OF ROCK and LouChang like this.
  10. LouChang

LouChang her brother (but nobody's bro)

Actually, I've found that the early Japan (Denon) and WG (Polygram) pressings are different masterings. Neither credit Bernie Grundman, but of course the DADC version (DIDX-594) does. The WG is indexed as ten tracks instead of twelve as on other versions. The booklet for my Denon disc incorrectly lists ten tracks even though it is indexed as twelve.

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

every george winston album is fantastic, every one.

no idea why he doesn't get more recognition, he is just incredible.

LouChang likes this.
  12. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Time to bring up this thread again?

ggjjr and BlueTrane like this.
  13. WiWavelength

WiWavelength Forum Resident

December [Nippon Columbia (Denon) Japan for US]:

Code:
     01   80.7
     02   86.3
     03   73.4
     04   38.7
     05  100.0
     06   79.1
     07   19.2
     08   47.8
     09  100.0
     10   93.1
     11   75.2
     12  100.0
    Code:
    DR14      -1.86 dB   -21.54 dB      4:07 01-Thanksgiving
    DR14      -1.27 dB   -20.86 dB      2:45 02-Jesus, Jesus, Rest Your Head
    DR12      -2.68 dB   -19.49 dB      3:16 03-Joy
    DR13      -8.24 dB   -26.09 dB      1:17 04-Prelude
    DR15       0.00 dB   -19.55 dB      4:00 05-Carol of the Bells
    DR13      -2.03 dB   -19.52 dB      1:55 06-Night, Part One: Snow
    DR13     -14.29 dB   -35.30 dB      1:55 07-Night, Part Two: Midnight
    DR12      -6.40 dB   -25.43 dB      2:07 08-Night, Part Three: Minstrels
    DR13       0.00 dB   -19.09 dB      5:24 09-Variations on the Kanon by Johann Pachelbel
    DR12      -0.62 dB   -17.08 dB      4:56 10-The Holly and the Ivy
    DR13      -2.47 dB   -20.50 dB      3:53 11-Some Children See Him
    DR19       0.00 dB   -26.27 dB      4:06 12-Peace
    DADC? PolyGram West Germany? Other early masterings?

AJ

LouChang likes this.
  14. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

This is the only "holiday" CD (original pressing) I own, mostly because I never get tired of it.

Laibach likes this.
  15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

A thing of beauty. Got the vinyl when it first came out and went to see GW the next time he played Carnegie Hall.

I recall he performed Linus and Lucy and handed out sheet music to it at the show. I immediately learned it on piano and then set about adapting it for a single acoustic guitar tuned to open D. I may be the only person who can play Linus and Lucy on solo guitar.

LouChang likes this.
  16. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

I absolutely love this album. As many have said, it is the perfect "sit in front of the fire" on a cold winter's day record.

I can't listen to any George Winston without thinking of my sister who introduced his music to me. She had a boyfriend who was a fan and who loaned me Autumn. That was my introduction to his music. She's not a huge music fan - I can't remember of any other artists that she introduced me to like that.

Seeing this thread also made me think of seeing him, sometime in the early 1990's when he did this entire album. It MIGHT have been a tour solely related to this record but I can't remember for sure. He came out, very unassuming in sock feet as I remember. Although the venue (our performing arts center here in town) was pretty full, I guess no one really had an idea of what he looked like so there was only a smattering of applause (my then wife thought he was the "piano tuner"). He just started playing and the place erupted. It was an amazing show.

LouChang and signothetimes53 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.