$5.00 Bin At Walmart (1/26/12)

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Yeah, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Did they have a Latino section too?

2. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Interesting titles of note yesterday:

Tina Turner - Private Dance
    Linda Ronstadt - Prisoner in Disguise
    Linda Ronstadt - Living in the USA
    Emmy Lou Harris - Elite Hotel
    Offspring - Americana
    Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac
    Fall Out Boy - From Under the Cork Tree
    ZZ Top - ZZ Top's First Album
    Black Sabbath - Seventh Star
    Cher - Cher
    The Doors - Waiting for the Sun

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  3. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Or working RSD and keeping all the limited editions in the back office for yourself!

4. Got John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" the other day; that was in Canada.

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes, they still have a Latino section.

6. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I saw a Jimi Hendrix Live Monterey for $5.00.

Also at my local Walmart they must have about 50-60 copies each of AC DC Back In Black and Black Ice. I wonder if they think they will sell them all.

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

If anything, it's gotten worse with age!

Buying CDs off Amazon for one cent and paying the shipping is a better deal.

Evan

8. BradOlson

I have gotten non-remastered CDs of Emmylou Harris's Pieces of The Sky and Elite Hotel albums plus the HDCD remastered Linda Ronstadt Prisoner In Disguise the non-remastered Linda Ronstadt Hasten Down The Wind today in the Wal-Mart $5 bin.

9. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

My latest from the $5 Bin at WM.

[​IMG]

Has anybody seen those decade specific comps. in the bin?
    I saw one by Gary Lewis and The Playboys The 60s) that caught my eye one time.

Darryl

10. BradOlson

Some of those decades comps from Sony are originals if Sony has a distribution deal with the artists or if Sony owns the rights to the material, others are budget live recordings. The Dean Martin comp in the '60s series on Sony is worthwhile as those are Reprise originals.

11. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I think the Gary Lewis and The Playboys one is live recordings.

Darryl

12. BradOlson

Now you know to be careful when you buy these decades comps from Sony. The Pablo Cruise and Tiffany volumes are live recordings as well (Universal owns the right to the originals of these acts). The Janis Joplin and Pure Prairie League volumes are original, the same with the Outlaws comp in the 70s series. Bob Dylan ones are original. Watch what you are buying when it comes to these decades comps. You are right that the Gary Lewis comp is a live recordings comp as Universal owns the rights to the originals.

13. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Good to know that about the Pablo Cruise one, as I have a friend who is a fan.
    Saw it in the bin while I was searching.

Darryl

14. BradOlson

The Pablo Cruise best of comp in print to get is the Millennium Collection. BTW, lots of the CDs formerly available as the 10 Best series and 10 Great Songs series on EMI have been reissued as Millennium Collection comps by Universal. Please look at the fine print in the copyright area before buying these decades comps.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  15. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Found Jimi Hendrix Blue Wild Angel (Live At The Isle Of Wight) today at Walmart $5.00 CD bin. Comes with free digital copy also.

16. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

For $5.00, I took Britney home with me :winkgrin:

[​IMG]

snowman872 likes this.
  17. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

If you don't have it yet, there's a DVD videos version of it too. Along with a great selection of music videos, there's an easter egg that allows you to see alternate videos as well.

18. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Recently pick this up from the $5 bin at Walmart.

[​IMG]

Darryl

19. Fogerty's Premonition has shown up for $5 at Target stores. I've been disappointed by the last couple of $5 bin refreshes at Walmart. Their music buyer must have some very specific tastes that lean toward hard rock from the late 70s and early 80s.

A better selection of $5 CDs for this forum's tastes have been appearing at Barnes & Noble of all places. A lot of deep catalog selections from well-known Rock and Pop artists.

20. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

As I am pretty much the only one in my department that handles the CD's at Walmart, I negotiated with my music rep so I could keep the $5 value bin CD's together after they removed the bin. I was able to convince him to let me use an 8 foot section of racks & it's quite popular with my customers. They love not having to dig to search for CD's. I even alphabetized them to make it even easier. I did this because when I work, I think like a buyer to be more in touch with my customer's needs. I also like to spotlight the later $5 additions at the top. I have great customers that appreciate me & what I do & that's awesome!

Dino, ARK, PhantomStranger and 2 others like this.
  21. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Good for you Billoneeg. There are no $5 bins anymore in the Richmond area that I know of. I do agree w/Phantom. B&N is a good place to shop for presents for my friends in regard to the bargain bins.

22. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Agree on Barnes & Noble. I've been raiding everyone I drive by for a few months now and most have a great 4.99, 7.99, and 9.99 section. Some examples... That Duran Duran cd mentioned a few posts up for 4.99, lots of Neil Young at all 3 price points, Pink Floyd remasters at both 7.99 and 9.99 price points including 2-cd Umma Gumma, various Allmans cd's at 4.99, lots of Genesis at 7.99, some Yes at 4.99 and 7.99, Little Feat 5-cd Original Albums Series and 2-cd waiting For Columbus at 9.99 each. I could go on and on. The odd thing is that all the stores that sell cd's have these 3 price points but not price the discs the same. I saw some stores that might sell a disc at 9.99 and another that would sell the same one at 7.99. And vice versa. Not all stores had the same merchandise either though many you could see mostly everywhere. Some sections are very small, others very large. Recommended that you check out a local store or two.

23. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just picked this up...

[​IMG]

Nice mix of Miracles & solo tracks.

Darryl

24. It's getting tougher and tougher to find $5 CD bins at Walmart. The only ones I know of are at the Super Walmarts with plenty of extra floor space.

25. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

In Ontario, Canada I recently picked up Bryan Adams Reckless (remaster), the Nashville (Robert Altman's film) soundtrack and Prince's 1999. Also seen the Ghostbusters (1984 film version) reissue soundtrack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.