Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Damn! I just remembered this and it (obviously) expired yesterday!

I guess it pops up from time to time?

2. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Perfect!

My Vegh SQ Beethoven set that I had mentioned along with the Haydn one, also arrived today. I think it is the previous reissue, not a new one. 8 CD V 4871, 2007. A box with two 4-cd fat boxes and a booklet. George can you confirm?

3. George P

Yeah, sounds like mine. 2 fatboys and a nice fat booklet, right?

4. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Positive. It also has the stickers "Diapason d' Or" and "Choc Classica". So, apparently, they have located some forgotten lot somewhere, since it appeared as deleted in the past couple of years and was going for high prices.

5. George P

Mine has no stickers. I bought it about 5 years ago.

6. drh

drh Talking Machine

Well, if it makes you feel any better, 10% really isn't all that huge a discount, come to that. Was there anything that you'd been craving and would have considered ordering even if it hadn't been "on sale"? If not, I wouldn't sweat it too much. For whatever it's worth, I actually made a semi-conscious decision to sit the sale out, because I really just don't need more CDs to process right now. Better that I take my painfully limited record time to listen to some that I already own. (Admittedly, I just was quite unrestrained in a 78 RPM mail auction and have another big one in the offing....:help: )

7. drh

drh Talking Machine

For those looking to hear off-the-beaten-track chamber music, this morning I revisited Richard Strauss's cello sonata, an early work. Nothing storming the heavens, but an enjoyable diversion from the "usual suspects." The particular recording was a '50s Vox LP of cellist Joseph Schuster and pianist Friedrich Wuhrer, whose involvement doubtless didn't hurt my enjoyment any.

[edit] Another enjoyable bit of R. Strauss juvenilia is his piano sonata, at least as Glenn Gould recorded it for CBS (presumably available on Sony, but I have it in its original LP guise).

8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Just placed an order with Presto Classical consisting of the following CD's ...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

About the (supposedly new) Végh Quartet's Beethoven box: is it "de-noised" or had it some other nasty manipulation? Sonically, I found it a bit plastic, the instruments weren't exactly as recorded in early seventies, although my first gut feeling was that of home coming. That close to the really real thing the sound was. More concentrated listening made me wonder... There's no tape hiss, although I can hear very very quiet hiss while listening with headphones, and that hiss goes away when there's silence - actually, I was able to hear the hiss (or hiss-like) sound on the left while concentrating on the violin. It's a bit disturbing to notice that total silence between the short (a Takt long) breaks. Like an autopilot or somesuch commanding the output. So the nasty folks at Naive has screwed the whole thing?

CD 1: A0100341716-0104 25 and then slightly after that with minor fonts: A00 - and there's something else, too, but I can't read it... Perhaps: IFPI 1.555 Sony DADC (meaning obviously the production devices?)

In the booklet, on the last page (#114) down, at the bottom, there is a list of illustrations, beginning like
    Now, there are mentioned pics I find nowhere: obviously the box had originally/earlier more stuff, stamped with illustrations. For example (p. 114): 'Sandor Végh - couverture II'. Where are the couvertures? The nasty folks at Naive have screwed the whole thing, huh? And those "fat boys", as George called them (I've never stumbled on that expression: it's to the point), they are a bit like an overkill in the time when even five or six ceedees are put into a thin cardboard box (takes less space, therefore a better solution).

The front pic is nice, though. And the playing is great. Sometimes too "old-fashioned" to modern me, but there's also certain majestically peaceful articulation that one can only love. But I've listened them through only once, so better not comment on them more than that.

Oh, and by the way, I can't remember stickers on the shrinkwrap. Which is not to say that there wasn't any: I just don't pay attention to anything like that, especially when a long-awaited box was finally at my hands. Pull & there goes the nasty plastic into trashcan.

10. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

The first incarnation of this box (full price) was by Auvidis/Valois in 1994;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-V...qid=1385632732&sr=8-9&keywords=vegh+beethoven

A different sleeve, perhaps richer in illustrations. The booklet's text should have been made for this older box.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  11. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Thanks!

In 2 weeks I shall go to this concert featuring three chamber works that I am not at all familiar with any of them; interesting:

Gidon Kremer violin
    Giedre Dirvanauskaite cello
    Khatia Buniatishvili piano

- Rachmaninov: Elegiac Trio no. 1
    - Mieczyslaw Weinberg: Trio, op.24
    - Rachmaninov: Elegiac Trio no. 2, op. 9

http://www.megaron.gr/default.asp?la=2&pid=5&evID=1606

12. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Yes, I imagined that they've done no editing on the booklet, but just made the contents of the box slightly "lighter", i.e. dropped some more costly who-knows-what away from the later releases of the box.

13. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I dunno. I have long since thrown away my packaging but my copy (V 4400) has a booklet has with a copyright of 1987. And I don't recall that box cover. I vaguely recall one without a photo. My booklet is 114 pages with photos that match the credits on that page except for no photo on the cover of the booklet.

14. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I know the two Rachmaninov Trios from the Beaux Arts recording that came out in mid 80s. They are both early works and were written while Rachmaninov was 19 and 21. They are both nice but I like the second trio, which was written to mourn Tchaikovsky's death, much more than the first.

It should be a great concert :righton:

RiRiIII likes this.
  15. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following SACD, which has been in my collection a number of years for the first time on my universal player ...

[​IMG]

16. George P

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I also listened to some Rubinstein. I watched the two DVDs from the big box, completing my listening to all of the material in the box that I had not heard yet.

17. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Rubinstein Recital for Israel:
    Very interesting back story on how this came about Garner Ted Armstrong (the $$ behind the concert & featured in the video) is almost a forgotten person. The local Pasadena newspaper had a bemused account.
    After the concert, Armstrong had a commemorative bronze plate attached to the piano proclaiming it The"Rubinstein Piano". The Rubinstein organization found out and issued a cease & desist order. The plate was removed.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  18. George P

Some presenters (I don't know who they were) presented Rubinstein with a work of art after the concert as a gift. They mentioned putting the plate on the piano as being the "Rubinstein Piano" and the pianist insisted that they include his first name, to distinguish himself from Anton. I guess they didn't heed his suggestion?

19. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

The lawyers looked at it as an "endorsement of the instrument". Rubinstein let his people take care of it.

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Last night I received my copy of Ivan Moravec's Chopin Nocturnes, the 1991 Nonsuch reissue. Holy Steinway Batman, that is one amazing recording. I'm not the most serious or fluent classical music fan but I have the Arthur Rubenstein
    and Samson Francois versions and Moravec's has quickly become my favorite. The control he has with the dynamics is awe-inspiring. I don't even know what to say other than it is one of the most beautiful pieces of piano music I've ever heard. I'm interested in hearing more from this pianist, someone I was unfamiliar with a month ago. :hide:

kevinsinnott likes this.
  21. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I met John Rubinstein many years ago. I asked "Any relation to the pianist ?" and received the reply
    "My father."

RiRiIII likes this.
  22. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

(This comment is from Page 30)

"From what I have read so far, some of the latest external DAC's can do wonder to some of the older CD's.
    Click to expand..."

"I've read all kinds of amazing things about sonics. Beats listening any day of the week."

Yes, the new DACs on the market nowadays can do wonders to all CDs, not just older ones. Many who are into
    vinyl have their merits, but for me I prefer CD with good D to A conversion and trade in the surface noise of LP
    by incorporating pretty good tube amps into my system, that breaths life and realism into my CDs minus the snap
    crackle and pop of vinyl... Plus, with the new releases of classic Rock / Pop albums on SACD & DVD-A & Bluray-
    Audio, the quieter backgrounds and higher sampling rates, with my tube amps, really trump any vinyl set up for
    the money invested...

RiRiIII likes this.
  23. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Moravec is one of the best ever. He is my second favorite of all time.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  24. john greenwood

He didn't record that much. I have this set.

http://www.mdt.co.uk/moravec-ivan-mozart-beethoven-chopin-franck-ravel-debussy-supraphon-4cds.html

George has other recordings so I hope he will jump in.

BTW - I see that Supraphon has released a re-mastered version of the Nocturnes. Anyone willing to do a comparison

Edit - I see the set is cheaper at ImportCDs

25. john greenwood

Who's your favorite?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.