Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Sure! IMO, here's a list of the essential Moravec recordings:

1. His set of the Ballades (contained in the box john greenwood recommended) is the second best I have heard (Maria Tipo, live on Ermitage is the best.) I did a survey of 17 sets a few years ago.

2. His Pathetique sonata is the best I have heard (out of dozens) and is also contained in the box john greenwood recommended.

3. His Supraphon set of the Chopin Preludes is the second best I have heard (Sololov, on Naive is the best.) I did a survey of 27 sets a few years ago.

4. His Debussy on Vox is cheap, but wonderful. His Debussy in the box john recommended is also excellent.

5. His Mozart concertos on Supraphon and Hänssler-Verlag are wonderful.

6. His recordings of Janáček are also a treasure, but sadly, much of it was only released on Nonesuch LP. (Some of his Janáček can be found on a live Hänssler-Verlag CD, but I feel they are not as special as the performances released earlier on Nonesuch.)

As John said he has not recorded that much. I'll add that he really hasn't recorded any duds, so I say get whatever you can find. From the link below, it appears that most of it is in print, with the exception of his Beethoven Appassionata sonata and his Brahms Concertos. I have both of these and do not find them to be among my favorite interpretations of these works. Moravec was going to re-record the Appassionata, as he had rethought the omission of a repeat in one of the movements.

Here's some helpful links:

Ivan Moravec Recordings

Ivan Moravec Discography

5-String and kevinsinnott like this.
  2. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

My third favorite is Byron Janis :winkgrin:

3. Scott Wheeler

IMO Moravec's Moolight Sonata is an example of perfection.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  4. John S

John S Forum Resident

For some reason I was thinking about Franck's symphony recently. This is a piece I've not listened to since my vinyl days. I never really connected with the work, having thought it just south of banal. But a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then, and I know my ear has changed. So I found this with the intention of sampling a little for memory's sake, but ended up listening to the whole thing.

Simply gorgeous. I suppose the acoustics of that magnificent library would make even ME sound good, but this HIP performance really hit me. Here's one comment regarding this performance:

"Any orchestra that uses period instruments and piston horns gets my attention. What a gorgeous-sounding ensemble! Original small-bore brass that doesn't overpower, reeds with distinctive, individual voices, strings with character and depth, percussion that supports without drawing attention to itself . . .
    There is a motley assortment of brass here, including some positively sackbutian trombones. :) And that beautiful horn solo in the second movement...:love:

Anybody recommend a favorite version for me to fill a hole in my meager collection?

5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

These two are my favorites. Also, for $6 the Michel Plasson on EMI is well worth it.

945949.jpg 543818.jpg

John S likes this.
  6. drh

drh Talking Machine

Franck sym: Monteux with the CSO is hard to beat. From the 78 era, Monteux with the SFSO, which as a bonus has some of the weirdest cover art ever put on a 78 RPM album.

I've loved the piece from the first time I heard it (perhaps not coincidentally, from the Monteux/SFSO set). It must, however, be played with commitment, with belief that it is *not* just south of banal but is a real masterpiece. All too often, as a friend has put it, modern orchestras play it "as if they're afraid they might get some of it on them."

John S likes this.
  7. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Good news.

http://www.mdt.co.uk/brahms-piano-concertos-nos-1-orchestra-jiri-belohlavek-supraphon-2cds.html

Edit - just saw you didn't care for it. Good that it's back in print in any event.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  8. john greenwood

Oh - I thought you were talking about Nocturne recordings. :)

Or has she recorded them?

9. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I forgot to mention Monteux with the CSO. It is also up there with the rest. I agree that is one strange cover.

10. john greenwood

The Monteux/CSO is paired on SACD with a Petrouchka with BSO. Remember Monteux conducted the world premiere of that piece.

11. George P

12. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

In 20 years?

13. john greenwood

Just noticed your comment about it.

14. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Do you have a jpg version you could post? :eek:

15. drh

drh Talking Machine

[​IMG]

Here's one from eBay....

dale 88 and John S like this.
  16. coopmv

Hey, this looks like the intro of some weird show series from years ago. I believe William Shatner was in one of the episodes. I meant the hand ...

:hide:

17. Scott Wheeler

Oh no I was just talking about my favorite pianists in general. Actually Moravec gets the nod for my #1 favorite on many of his recordings. Maybe most.

18. coopmv

Now playing the following SACD, which has been sitting around for at least a year since its arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

19. dale 88

Well, I missed the actual day, but today I listened to Handel's Ode for St. Cecilia's Day. The current Gramophone has a Collection review of this piece and the author chose the 1985 recording by Trevor Pinnock as his favorite. I found an inexpensive copy of the original Archiv CD.

I liked it. The sound is really quite good! And when Lisa Beznosiuk, flute, and Nigel North, lute, play it is wonderful on the aria with Felicity Lott - The Soft Complaining Flute.

Trevor Pinnock
    The English Concert & Choir
    Felicity Lott
    Anthony Rolfe Johnson
    PinnockCecilia.jpg

John S likes this.
  20. dale 88

Someday I want to acquire this version - I have heard good things about it.
    KingsConsortCecilia.jpg

John S likes this.
  21. coopmv

Robert King is quite well-known for Handel choral works ...

22. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the above DVD, though due to the poor video quality, I am simply listening to it as if it were a CD.

23. coopmv

Now playing the following SACD for a first listen of its SACD layer. This SACD is now OOP and has an asking price of $156 for a new copy on Amazon ...

[​IMG]

24. coopmv

Now playing CD67 (jump right to the Wagner box) from the following set for a first listen. I have quite a few of the tracks on an original EMI LP set ...

[​IMG]

25. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying some more from the big Naxos Caruso box. It's amazing that these recordings are over 100 years old. His voice sounds rich and full in this transfer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.