Opinions of the Pro-Ject Debut III turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hifisoup, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I got my Debut III on closeout in 2011 at Best Buy Magnolia. It was $199. It was worth the risk at the time. Was better than the turntable I had at the time. It's been good to me in that it has let me experience aspects of TT sound that you can only find if it works for you if you have it and live with it for a while. I've also been able to try out a couple phono stages with it. It's been a good learning experience. I don't consider it a loss. But I'm also not going to keep it. Unfortunately it has totally turned me off of any Pro-Ject turntable that has a similar motor mount, and lesser extent any Pro-Ject turntable in general, even the $1000+ models. If that style of motor mount and isolation can work it is such a delicate balance that it can't be relied on.

I also now have a Technics SL-1500 that I can play with. Currently has an old cart on it that I'm not willing to use on any of my records. Need to get a new cart for it before exploring its quirks and sound. It and the Debut III will at least keep me occupied and entertained while I save up for what I consider an adequate turntable (the likes of a VPI Traveler has me interested, but my wallet hiding). It'll be a while before I save for it since a better TT is at least 3rd or 4th on my audio equipment upgrade list (a better reference headphone amp and a better DAC and another pair of phones are more important). The very vast majority of my listening and my library is digital. And digital has spoiled me, especially in the way it can do bass without rumble or phase problems.

hifisoup likes this.
  2. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Man, I did something tonight I never do. Listened to a record via my headphones. Surface noise is another thing to add to that list. Noticeable through speakers, but annoying through headphones.

hifisoup likes this.
  3. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

In my opinion I would save up until you could get something better. Even an old thorens would be nicer . The project tables are just not up to snuff in my opinion. In fact a dealer I was just at drop them because of quality control issues and customer service issues.

hifisoup likes this.
  4. Pkonz

Pkonz Forum Resident

The Music Hall MMF 2.2 is pretty much the same thing, same factory, but does allow VTA adjustment.

5. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I have a Debut III I bought at the Hi-Fi Buys closing several years ago and it is still in use, unlike my similar but not as well built (and older still) Music Hall which had all kinds of mechanical issues I couldn't resolve. The Music Hall was twice as expensive. I've never had the noise issue with the Debut, the motor is indeed only held by rubber bands.

6. GFaulk

GFaulk Forum Resident

If you own a Debut Basis 111, I highly recommend "purchasing" the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon sorbothane grommets from Sumiko. The grommets are the Carbon's suspension improvements compared to the Debut 111, are easy to install, and reduce motor noise considerably. The grommets are placed under the motor tabs where the transport screws are located. Put the grommets flat side down, screw in the transport screws, and you are finished. Simple and effective.

bleachershane likes this.
  7. drew phillips

drew phillips Forum Resident

ditto

8. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I'd like to get the speed box because I do dislike having to lift the platter and adjust the rubber band when I want to listen to something at 45rpm.

wgriel likes this.
  9. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

When I had an Xpression, I found that the speedbox was not only convenient, but it improved the overall sound quality too.

10. I have the Speedbox on my DebutIII and it has a life of its own. It arbitrarily switches speeds when I go to flip the record. Very annoying. I gave up putting it in standby to flip the record and have gone to turning the TT off.

11. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

The Debut III platter is a little smaller than the record, so you could probably easily catch the edges of the record while the platter turns and flip the record without stopping the turntable.

clhboa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.