Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

That is a great disc.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I added this SACD to my collection last year ... :righton:

3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Great stuff. I have it as a Hi Rez download from HDTracks.

4. John S

John S Forum Resident

Awesome in 5 channel surround.....

5. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my collection on a lazy Sunday afternoon ...

[​IMG]

6. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

7. Rose River Bear

8. George P

My favorite is Maria Tipo (live) on Ermitage. Moravec is a close second.

More details: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/frederic-chopin-the-four-ballades.212774/

However, the aforementioned BBC survey is making me curious to hear Zimerman and Richter again in these works. The samples she used for these pianists sounded superb.

For those who are curious to know what the BBC reviewer thinks, but don't wish to listen to the whole broadcast, her top three are Cortot 1929, Zimerman and Richter in 1960. Good for her! The first two were in my "runner up" when I did my own survey (link above) a few years ago.

I love how she sums up her survey: "Zimerman has my head, Cortot my heart and Richter my gut."

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
    Rose River Bear likes this.
  9. Rose River Bear

Moravec is a close second for me. I like Kissin also. :hide:

10. George P

She likes Kissin too. Perhaps you should track her down... :love:

11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I can (only) imagine. I switched from downloads to SACDs on the Stile Antico titles - I have seven in all - specifically so that I could listen to them in surround on some future date.

John S likes this.
  12. Rose River Bear

Currently spinning. Great sound. Pretty good performances. 6161R1C93BL__SY300_.jpg

13. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Kissin is eccentric but very very talented. I'll be seeing him in recital this season

14. Rose River Bear

His recording of Chopin's Fantasy in F Minor is my favorite on record. One of my favorite piano pieces of all time.

15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Great sales at eclassical.com from today to December 25. All Flac-16 and 24.

16. coopmv

Didn't Kissin come to fame for his performance of Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1 with HvK and the BPO?

17. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Th very best of this work I have herd is on this CD performance and recording are top notch.
    It got many praises from several places at the time I got it.
    It's stupid cheap on Amazon and WELL WORTH adding to any collection!

http://www.amazon.com/English-String-London-Chamber-Orchestra/dp/B000FVAKJA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1385960494&sr=8-3&keywords=LCO Elgar

UPC # 075679081926

[​IMG]

18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Satie - Gymnopedies Gnossiennes (Decca)
    Reinbert De Leeuw

I'm loving this new purchase, my first album by Satie.

19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

002.JPG
    This is an MHS reissue of an EMI recording issued on Angel in 1962. The music is a simple & Victorian setting of Biblical texts in
    English for tenor, bass, choir & organ. Well sung & recorded.

20. Graphyfotoz

I have this copy of it!
    Awesome performance and recording definitely ranks in my top 3 favs.:righton::righton:

[​IMG]

21. Graphyfotoz

I learned a long time ago that MHS titles are cheaply found and well worth grabbing.
    Cover art is often drab but musical content is as good as the artistic counter part it originally comes from.

22. George P

Which recording did you get? Iknow that he recorded Satie at least twice, the earlier recordings posted d above by Graphyfotoz and later ones recorded in the mid nineties. I bought the latter recently, as I preferred the faster tempos he used at that time.

23. John S

John S Forum Resident

Franck
    Sonata for violin and piano
    Debussy
    Sonata for violin and piano
    Ravel
    Introduction and Allegro for harp, flute, clarinet and string quartet
    Debussy
    Sonata for flute, viola and harp

Kyung Wha Chung, violin
    Radu Lupu. piano
    Osian Ellis, harp
    The Melos Ensemble
    (London, 1962 and 1977 [Violin Sonatas])

[​IMG]

Three things surprised me regarding this disc:
    First, I really enjoyed the Franck sonata. I mentioned in an earlier post how I’d dismissed his symphony, so I didn’t have great expectations with this duet. But as the album notes point out:
    “There’s nothing quite like César Frank’s Violin Sonata…at least in French music; but then, heavily influenced by Germanic tradition, like all Franck’s music, it qualifies as French only by the skin of its teeth – more precisely, by the voluptuousness of its tunes. If it’s true that the Devil has all the best tunes, he certainly has a field day here; this is a thought that would have distressed Franck [in view of his being] a deeply religious man...”
    Second, I was not prepared for how cold these Debussy pieces are, at least to these ears. After repeated listenings, I am starting top warm up to this music, but I feel guilty for not appreciating this music from the start.
    Third, I was totally captivated by the Ravel. I shouldn’t have been surprised, given my love for his music, but still I wasn’t familiar with his chamber music, especially in this case a commission by the Pleyel instrument makers for Ravel’s composing some “harp music.” After little more than a week Ravel gave them a sparkling ten-minute masterpiece. So nice was this music, it seemed logical to expand the strings and make it appropriate for the symphonic stage.

Ravel
    Rapsodie Espagnole
    Alborada del Gracioso
    Mother Goose (Ma Mère l’Oye)
    Introduction and Allegro
    Daphnis et Chloé: Suite No. 2

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
    Jean Martinon
    (Medinah Temple, 1968 and Orchestra Hall, 1964)

[​IMG]

Here, the Introduction and Allegro morphs into an even more complex aural experience, with a full string section replacing the original string quartet. Admittedly, I might not’ve appreciated this version so much had I not first encountered this music in its original form. “Lush” is the word here, and as well as “delectable.”

All the 60’s performances on this disc are just spectacular. Here is a very fine Rapsodie Espagnole, and I’ve never appreciated Alborada as much as this recording. I hear things I’ve never noticed before. Somehow over time Mother Goose escaped my attention until now. I’ll have to give that a little more time. Then there’s the positively shimmering Daphnis et Chloé. A long time ago this music reminded me of film soundtracks (only better); but now, thanks to a recording like this, the music stands completely on its own. This is Ravel.

My thanks to George P and sgb for recommending these discs.

Robin L likes this.
  24. George P

So glad you enjoyed it, John!

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Today is Maria Callas' 90th birthday.

[​IMG]

36 years after her death and still she remains unrivaled.

Robin L and Graphyfotoz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.