Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

The Introduction and Allegro (with quartet) may be my favorite work by Ravel. I have never heard the orchestral version, and it is difficult for me to imagine an improvement.

The Debussy works are among his very last, and I agree they reveal their charms more slowly than - say - the string quartet.

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

They are both great discs. They have been go to's for me for many years. Glad others like them also.

3. john greenwood

Listening to the orchestral disc on Spotify as I type this.

4. Rose River Bear

I have had that for quite a while. For some reason I recall the sound is kind of dry on my system. I need to revisit it.

5. Rose River Bear

With all of the Ravel recommendations going on, I thought of this disc. Great sonics on this. 51CLARQqlKL__SY300_.jpg

John S likes this.
  6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Yep. Got this one for 75 cents.

7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have both of those & I agree.

8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

My copy is a compilation with a copyright date of 1980 and another of 2011. It appears to be part of a Virtuoso series with that word on a small magenta triangle in the lower right corner of the front cover. The series advertises four other compilations on the back of the program. So you say there is a slower version of these pieces recorded in 1990? I might have to search that out. I'd be interested in other recordings of this music as well as other solo piano work by Eric Satie if this is typical of his compositions.

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Thanks for the recommendation!

10. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

No, the slower one is the one you have (same performances as the one Graphyfotoz posted, only with less works.) After sampling it on Spotify, I found the slower one to be too slow for me. The later one is in a 3CD, 1DVD set I got recently. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GIX9WW/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Having said that, I think Thibaudet's Satie is the very best Satie I have heard (prior to that, my favorite was Roge.) His set also has the complete Satie piano works: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Solo-Piano-Jean-Yves-Thibaudet/dp/B00008RWRB/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1386001025&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=thibaudet satyie

11. Rose River Bear

The Ravel box set with Martinon and the Paris Orchestra are fine performances but the sound is terrible and loud. The CSO disc sounds a lot better to me.

12. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

MartinonRavelHP.jpg
    I also have this disc and think they are very fine performances with spectacular sound.

13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

My favorite and the only performances I've heard that really sound avant-garde in realization. Roge is far too smooth for me.

14. john greenwood

Can't speak to the sound given listening conditions, but liked the performances.

15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Agreed, my favorite as well. I also like Ciccolini.

16. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Now Listening To

Debussy/Ravel. La Mer & Suite from Dapnis and Chloe. L. Stokowski, LSO. The old magician strikes again. Decca London UK Phase 4.

stokdebussy.jpg

John S likes this.
  17. John S

John S Forum Resident

Wow, what a great combo....!
    How was Stoki with the French stuff?

18. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

You'll need this [​IMG] :biglaugh:

scompton likes this.
  19. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Picked this up used, to hear the unusual repertoire and a young Manfred Honeck. This was originally recorded for Marco Polo in 1987. Honeck was an assistant to Claudio Abbado then.

HoneckBruch87.jpg
    The Suite on Russian Themes was the most interesting to me. The sound isn't going to win any prizes.

20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

004.JPG
    I'm a fan of Mr. Biggs & this one from 1970 is excellent. All the music is by Italian composers & is played on historic organs in
    Bologna, Brescia, Bergamo & Lugo di Romagna. Produced by Hellmuth Kolbe & well-recorded by Kolbe, Ed Michalski & Milton Cherin.

21. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Stokowski of course was born in England but sometimes the English do rather well with French music as seen with Beecham and Colin Davis. Stokowski was superb with Debussy. He also did an excellent Nocturnes. As for Ravel, Daphnis is dramatic enough to get his motor racing. One of the all time great conductors IMO and one of the most versatile.

John S and Robin L like this.
  22. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Who scored another whopper deal? THIS GUY!! :wave:

I had this in my watch list on feebay and person wanted $49.95 +$6 shipping OBO
    I was gonna make a offer but figured they wouldn't take half for it.
    Amazon has it for $94 in VG....Presto Classical has it for $70.00+ sh on sale new.....Hyperion has it for $130.00 USD.

They relisted it back on feebay when it didn't sell for $24.99 shipped!
    I was on it like a rug on a floor! :winkgrin:

12 CD set.....as new condition and it's got decent reviews.
    Pays to watch and wait.....there ARE still some deals to be had out there.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  23. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Attached Files:

Dan C likes this.
  24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

RiRiIII likes this.
  25. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Thread Status: