Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (fifth edition)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

£ got it!

2. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

My Deluxe Edition is late from Amazon UK. I'm kinda pissed because this is the second item in a row that is really late and they're usually pretty good. Maybe it's the holidays?

Anyone else still waiting for a Tune In Deluxe from Amazon UK?

Bill and belardd like this.
  3. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I'm in the Chicago area and I got mine already... It didn't get here until Saturday though...

4. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

Is there a reason you don't request a tracking number from amazon?

5. belardd

belardd Senior Member

all they say on Amazon UK purchases is Dispatched
    still waiting...

6. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

I'm still waiting....getting a bit impatient.

I mean I understand that something coming from the UK to Arizona is going to take longer....but I really think something that shipped on November 13th shouldn't take this long to get here. Today is 3 weeks. I'm sure it'll get here, heck now that I say this it'll probably be today or tomorrow, but just saying I'm surprised at how long it's taken. I ordered Live at the BBC Volume 2 Vinyl from the UK site and I got it much quicker than this.

Bill likes this.
  7. scoostraw

I understand. But there IS a tracking number.

I would suspect that a phone call or email is all that is required.

8. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I have a tracking number and it doesn't work. Says DHLGA, and it doesn't work on DHL's site. I even emailed Amazon UK and they said tracking was unavailable for this item. So apparently there is no tracking for my item even though a tracking number is listed.

9. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

10. scoostraw

Wow in this day and age that is pitiful.

Oh well I hope everybody gets their book in good shape.

belardd likes this.
  11. Tobylab

Tobylab Active Member

I pre-ordered from Amazon UK. Received mine about 10 days ago in upstate NY. My tracking # was also worthless.

12. Trixie Jones

Trixie Jones Raining in my heart

Yeah, you're right. But I think he's also said that he knew that being a lead guitarist took a certain sort of dedication to the instrument that he didn't necessarily have and that he knew George had that lead guitarist's obsession. IIRC, he's said that he wanted to be free to sing lead and that playing lead guitar could get in the way of that. Don't quote me on all this, but I do seem to recall Paul talking along these lines... Anyway, it makes more sense to me than his being afraid of screwing up again.

13. Phil65

Phil65 Forum Resident

Same here. My package was eventually delivered by the USPS, no sign of DHL. I suspect that DHL Global Mail is simply a subcontractor of the Postal Service. Not sure why they give out bogus tracking numbers though.

14. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Nothing here yet. Shipped November 13.

belardd likes this.
  15. Mine shipped the 11th. Has yet to arrive in San Francisco

16. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

There seems to be two audiobook editions - both call themselves unabridged. The first one (http://www.audible.com/pd/Bios-Memo...f=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1386241098&sr=1-1) is published by Random House Audio, and runs 43 hrs and 48 mins, while the second one, which is split in two (http://www.audible.com/pd/Bios-Memo...f=a_search_c4_1_2_srTtl?qid=1386241098&sr=1-2 and http://www.audible.com/pd/Bios-Memo...f=a_search_c4_1_3_srTtl?qid=1386241098&sr=1-3), is published by Hachette and runs 44 hrs and 24 mins with both parts combined.

I've been to the websites for both publishers, and there is no mention of the differences. Both are read by Clive Mantle. Any info on this?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    dewey02 likes this.
  17. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Upon further research, I believe the first one is simply the US standard edition (released October 29th) - possibly missing Lewisohns introduction, which is included in the UK standard "split in two" edition (released October 10th), and would account for the timing differences. I might be wrong, though.

Edit: The introduction is only 11 minutes, so there must be more missing from the US version.

18. belardd

belardd Senior Member

Texas

19. Bill

Bill Senior Member

The Eagle has landed, apparently late last night.
    Looks amazing. Time to go to...work and to an industry reception/dinner tonight.
    No fair.

20. Gigbag

Gigbag Forum Resident

It would be fascinating to have an insight into mark's research/writing process.

21. Gigbag

Gigbag Forum Resident

One other reference to the process was heard in Mark's interview with Jo Whiley for the BBC on the 50th Anniversary of the Please Please Me album session at EMI studios. He said there that he'd 'Written about it'
    So perhaps that part of the story is 'in the can'.

22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The recording of the Please Please Me album was in early February 1963. So that would likely be one of the first chapters in Volume 2. It's crazy though how much will happen in just 1963 alone. That year could take up hundreds of pages. Arnie

23. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

No kidding! Not to mention 1964 when things got REALLY crazy, and so on. You could do an expanded edition on EACH year and still not cover it all.

24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That's what is worrying me (okay, I'm really not worried, but sometimes the thought crosses my mind). I just hope his publishers don't go out of business, or scale down their whole operations, while waiting for the next 2 volumes.

Arnie

25. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I can't imagine he would have a hard time finding an outlet for the book were that to happen :). I'm more concerned with Mark living long enough to finish them! Not to be morbid, but he's a middle-aged guy and will be a senior citizen by the time these are finished if we're going by these 10-15 yr estimates for the trilogy to be complete. Hell, by that metric *I'll* be middle-aged (I'm only 33 right now!) :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.