Bob Dylan - 50th Anniversary Collection: 1963

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pigalle, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

You are probably correct in every respect S. but with its policy Sony gives me great incentive to continue to buy the many grey market releases, when I'd much rather buy an official Sony product.

So, why the heck NOT release both the 1962 and 1963 sets to Bob's fans, who aren't getting any younger by the way. Make it a special release and earmark the profits for a charity for Chrissakes.

http://pages.citebite.com/w2u3t9j9e4ffu

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  2. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

There is no need to buy grey market releases of this material. Both sets are available to download, right now, in FLAC. Experienced Dylan collectors know where to look for this stuff.

For those who desire the original artifacts, there will always be a collectors' market, where supply and demand dictate prices.

I would have loved to have picked up an original of last year's 1962 set, but I was too slow. I'm happy enough with an EAC rip taken from a friend's set.

This year, I was in the right place at the right time, and managed to secure a copy of the 6LP 1963 set. In all likelihood, I'll probably never play the vinyl, as I already have a needle-drop made, with decent equipment, by a well-known Dylan collector.

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I love hearing that. "I'll probably never play it". Why not someone who will enjoy it have it?

#OneOccupation and bubba-ho-tep like this.
  4. stepeanut

I'll enjoy owning it just fine, thanks.

inaptitude likes this.
  5. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

would anyone be able to post high quality pics of the cover and tracklisting (from the packaging)? there are very tiny versions over at searchingforagem.

thanks in advance!

6. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Well it's great that you snagged a copy of the 6 LP set, very cool.

For me, I'm not a FLAC kind of guy -- don't have the computer or rig to make it enjoyable. And I don't care about "artifacts" (as you put it) but I just want to have decent sounding CDs or LPs that I can play, old school, chez home or in the car.

I think Sony underestimates its committed, serious Dylan fan base in NOT issuing these 1962 and 1963 sets generally, in an accessible & popularly commercial market. I mean, let's face it, Dylan is possibly the greatest musical artist of the 20th/21st century -- these types of collections need to be available to "Everyman". GEEZ why is this so hard to understand? Sony? Hello?

7. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

8. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Any idea how many of these are being pressed?

9. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

10. aoxomoxoa

11. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Just heard the entire set. Classic material. Fine sound, although some of the live sets--Gerdes in particular--are a bit fuzzy. Great to hear the official unreleased cuts from Town Hall and Carnegie Hall--although both have been available for several years now in the grey market.

My all-time fave from this set is Dylan's version of Richard "Rabbit" Brown's "James Alley Blues." Great performance. And it's a clear example of where he cribbed from Harry Smith's collection, as well as nicking particular lyrics: "Sugar for sugar, salt for salt" ended up in "Down in the Flood"; "Sometimes you too sweet to die, other times you ought to be buried alive" ended up changed a bit in "Black Crow Blues"--"Sometimes I'm thinking I'm too high to fall, other times I'm thinking I'm so low I don't know if I can come up at all."

mr. scratchy esq and IronWaffle like this.
  12. aoxomoxoa

I ordered one from Amazon. What the hell. If it turns out to be legit, I would hate to miss out.
    Did it say anywhere how many of these were pressed? The last one was only 100, right?

13. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  14. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I heard somewhere (expecting rain?) that 400 were coming out. No idea if that's accurate...

15. aoxomoxoa

Yes, I do think. What's the point? Gee look at this new shiny record I never play. Sorry, I have a problem with that.

16. aoxomoxoa

Ok I am confused here. It says that Badlands UK was releasing this and that they were not to sell them online. Now, I am able to order one on Amazon? How are there vinyl rips on torrent sites already? Do people have this already?
    Who is actually pressing these? Sony Legacy? Has it been said how many are being pressed? I can't find that info anywhere.

Edit : Looks like Sony Legacy / There's one on ebay :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-B...31079423414?pt=UK_Records&hash=item4d15df15b6

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  17. stepeanut

People buy all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons. You cannot control how others spend their money, or how they choose to use their possessions, and it is incredibly arrogant to presume that you can.

That Magic Bullet in your kitchen cabinet: when was the last time you used that? Shouldn't you sell it to someone else?

Get a grip.

showtaper and grouploner like this.
  18. I know nothing of this particular release, but many of the EU's public domain Bob Dylan releases have been showing up on Amazon in the past week or two under the guise of imports. There is a rash of Dylan's '70s era concert performances now out on CD.

19. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

As a newbie here, perhaps you need to lay off the snotty attitude. What are you....10 years old? You mouth off about possessing a highly sought-after item that you'll never play and don't expect a little pushback? You're not making a very good early impression.

I think YOU need to get a grip.

alanb and aoxomoxoa like this.
  20. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

I wonder if they will need to do this every year in the future... things would start looking awesome for 1965-1967, that's just two years away! Especially with the complete Basement Tapes, I guess that if they don't start releasing them by 2017 they will become public domain?

21. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

I'm not 100% confident on the copyright rules - but my understanding is that EU copyright going forward has been extended from 50 years to 70 (?) years, hence there is no need for Sony to produce any more of these sets in the future. Whether they decide to do it anyway is a different matter......

22. stepeanut

Being a newbie is irrelevant. There is no "snotty attitude" from me, nor am I "mouthing off" about possessing anything. I've simply given my thoughts on the item in question, and answered questions factually and honestly. You came at me with the personal attack on my morals, and I answered in kind.

I genuinely hope you manage to track down a copy of the item at a price you deem reasonable. Good luck. If I hear of any further copies for sale, I'll let you know.

23. aoxomoxoa

I wasn't trying to start a fight. I just don't understand the mentality of buying something just to set on a shelf and never use. I personally wouldn't do that, and I am not even sure what a magic bullet is. Carry on!

24. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Personally I have lots of albums by bands that I love that I don't play for a variety of reasons. A couple because they are valuable and a couple because I just don't like the album. And yes, I've bought albums that I knew I wasn't going to play because I love the artist and collect their records. I don't see a problem with it.

25. stepeanut

This.

And this:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.