Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Classical forum appreciation giveaway. Please only if you do not have most of the pieces. 51lpueBBIdL__AA160_.jpg
    First to PM me gets it for free.
    Grieg conducted by Ormandy and Davis
    Peer Gynt Suites, Norwegian Dances, Elegaic Melodies and a couple of marches

51lpueBBIdL__AA160_.jpg

2. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Pretty impressive. Definitely the best sound of any Mahler 5th I've heard (including MTT). Back to more a more traditional approach to Mahler after the aberations of his 6th

3. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I think it's about as good as it gets for sound quality too. This simply is a must have title.....IMO

4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The best I 've heard as far as sound quality is the recording of Ashkenazy with the LSO (Previn) on Decca and then Janis on Mercury Living Presence. I have both on LP.

Robin L and jh901 like this.
  5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Agree as regards SQ on Ashkenazy/Previn. Simon/Slatkin on Vox is nearly in the same league.

6. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Hough/Litton on Hyperion hires download and Wild/Horenstein on Chesky or Chandos might have something to say about that ;)

7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have not heard the SACD in a while so I popped it in today. I forgot how great it is.

8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I like Barenboim as a pianist but can never warm up to him as a conductor. OTOH, I am fine with Ashkenazy both at the piano and on the podium ...

9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD8 - Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition and Liszt Paraphrase de Concert sur Rigoletto from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

10. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I used to feel the same way.Then I heard some of Barenboim's live concerts with The BBC Proms from the last few years,and was pretty impressed.I also really liked his recording of the Furtwangler Symphony No.2,with the CSO.I would love to have it on high quality vinyl.

11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

With the exception of his records with Du Pre the only recording of Barenboim that I have is the Gotterdammerung. This was my first exposure to Wagner's operas and as such it holds a special place in my heart. But truth be told, there are better recordings of the Ring out there.
    I don't have any opinions about Barenboim's conducting but for some reason I have not come across any recordings of his as a conductor that I felt that I need to own.

12. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Agree 02.jpg with the other recommendations, but I've always had a sentimental attachment to this one. The first Rach 3 I owned as a kid.

Dan C, John S, Robin L and 1 other person like this.
  13. sgb

sgb Senior Member

This one is out of print, and I'm not that crazy about the conducting, but the sound is excellent, as is the Volodos/Levine performance which is also OOP unfortunately.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

jh901 likes this.
  14. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I have Michel Block's several OM CD's produced by Jonathan P Wearn. I just listened to the Schumann disc the other night. Among my favorite pianists and producer/engineers.

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:eek: ...wow, what a coincidence; I just finished listening to this CD (arrived some weeks ago but wasn't able to play it until today).

[​IMG]

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

That's a beautiful record indeed and a truly legendary recording. I hope you enjoyed it!

17. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Ludwig Van Beethoven – Piano Trios No.1 Op.1/1 & No.2 Op.1/2, 14 Variations in E flat Op.44
    — Pinchas Zukerman, violin, Jacqueline Du Pre, cello, Daniel Barenboim, piano (EMI Classics)

18. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I quite like the Volodos

19. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Yeah that is in this CD set I got a few years back in a Christmas sale heads up someone had posted here for super cheap box sets offered. This was one of a few different ones offered.
    Probably one of the nicest box sets in my collection....and it was crazy cheap at the time. Bought it 11/25/2010......17CD Box Set NEW $12.68

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  20. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

wow, what a deal. Must admit that, speaking as somebody of the younger, "born years after the Beatles break up" generation, I knew about the sad story of Du Pré only after watching the "Hilary and Jackie" movie. In the 90s, I used to buy audiophile-oriented italian magazines such as "Audioreview", "Suono", "Stereoplay", "Fedeltà del suono" and they all had extensive classical corners with great articles and reviews describing both the performance and the sound. They never steered me in the wrong direction. Recordings by Von Karajan, Solti, Gardiner, Harnoncourt, Abbado, Pinnock, Pollini, Giulini, Ashkenazy, Brüggen were regulars but there is a lot of great stuff I discovered only much later, thanks to the www and this forum (eg: who knew about the superb Beethoven cycle by Günther Wand or this Krips guy conducting the Mozart symphonies??? Thank you George P and all of you).

I guess fame has it ups and downs in classical too; while there are dead conductors whose popularity never seems to fade (Von Karajan, Solti, Bernstein are prime examples) there are other great ones whose memory is now almost lost; I lost the count of the times I read about Giulini's great performances but now he seems almost forgotten.

Back to Jacqueline Du Pré, I don't know if that's just because italian magazines didn't give her coverage or what else, but it's incredible that her awesome talent escaped me for years..:doh:

21. Graphyfotoz

Don't feel bad I didn't know about Her at all till I got this set!
    Altho I have been into Classical Music for the past 25yrs.......soooooooo much to learn and new experiences.
    Old news and music to most is new to me. No matter how long you have been a connoisseur of classical music there is always something new to learn! Thats why I enjoy it so much! :righton:

bluemooze and PH416156 like this.
  22. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

No way!

23. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I'm not talking about this forum...it's been a long time since I read about him in my country's magazines

jukes and sgb like this.
  24. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Me too, although I prefer the Oistrakh box and the HvK vocal music box I bought at the same time.

25. Graphyfotoz

Tried to sell in For sale area no takers so.......

Moved to Ebay

eBay item number: 221331188298

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.