Is Manowar a serious band?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tkl7, Dec 6, 2013.

1. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur Thread Starter

Serious question. I see their album covers get made fun of a lot, and it seems they were pretty over the top. Are they serious, or are they a joke/satire band?

tug_of_war and deredordica like this.
  2. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I think they take themselves very seriously. But no one else does.

3. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Is this the metal band? They're serious. I don't like them -- I find them a bit too silly, in both subject matter and execution, but I know at least one person who is a major fan of their work.

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

5. oldcuster

oldcuster Forum Resident

I've always assumed it was tongue-in-cheek, but if so, it's one of the longest cons in the business. At this point, I don't know for sure.

6. Calling Anton from Moscow...

Anyway, I think they have to be at least a bit tongue-in-cheek, as I don't see how a band could be so ridiculous - including in interviews - and totally mean every bit of it, man.

tug_of_war, danielbravo and supernaut like this.
  7. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

They are seriously hilarious.

8. C. Cushman

C. Cushman Forum Resident

They're no worse than any of the 80's "Sunset Strip" bands, they just fixate on different aspects of heavy metal culture.

9. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur Thread Starter

I had always assumed they were spoofing Iron Maiden. I wondered if they were doing it so well that everyone missed the joke and thought they were serious.

tug_of_war, klockwerk and The Beave like this.
  10. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

It's metal man, what do want? They're no more cartoonish than many other bands of that ilk.

11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I wouldn't be surprised if Andy Kaufman was somehow secretly still alive and been their manager all these years.

Larry L, MYQ1, Dusty Sommers and 11 others like this.
  12. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

They reason they seem silly and ironic and funny is because they are one of the bands that metal spoofs are making fun of. But they themselves are quite "serious." By that I mean, of course they are being theatrical and having fun with it, but they're not like Spinal Tap or anything.

Basically like Iron Maiden, with their horror-movie trappings or whatever. Comic book silliness is a key part of metal, they are no different.

13. I think it also helps that where they are popular and tajken seriously
    happens to be where English is not the first language
    context, tone and nuances get a bit lost

Evan Guest and supernaut like this.
  14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I saw Manowar on their first tour when they opened for Pat Travers and Ted Nugent in 1982. Before the show, one of their roadies came out and was talking to me (why he chose me I don't know; I was a stupid 16 year old), but he was telling me how DeMaio was a "master" and how he had trained himself to cut himself with a sword but could "will" himself not to bleed. I got no sense of irony or humor from this guy when he was talking to me. He assured me the band was the real thing.

You're talking about a band that dresses, acts, and lives the part (they set up their own camps -- medieval style at festivals and whatever else). I get the impression they are quite serious about what they do and their true fans have the same notion. It might be all a big joke and Adams and DeMaio get a laugh as they sit in their living rooms when not touring wearing their Jets jerseys and pounding Coors Light, but somehow, I don't think that's the case.

izgoblin, Zongadude, MYQ1 and 17 others like this.
  15. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

They do what they do, and they do it good... for all these years :) Still great live, but capable of making max. 2 decent tracks per album recently.

16. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

They got freaking Orson Welles to appear on not one, but two different albums! You've got to have a soft spot for anyone who managed to pull this off.

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

True, and I like both those songs btw :hide:

18. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Senior Member

To be fair, though, it was hard to fit all of Orson Wells in one of anything.

19. Orson Welles was in need of $ at that time so it's not surprising. See Transformers: The Movie

klockwerk and hi_watt like this.
  20. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I'm just sorry they didn't get him dressed up with the band for the cover photo.

tkl7, bzfgt, guppy270 and 5 others like this.
  21. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Why the question?

They are professional musicians. They've put an impressive catalog collection and performed tons of great concerts for their fanbase

Mr Smith, Michael, rebetis and 6 others like this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I did a search on "Manowar joke band" and here's Kerrang's non-commital opinion:

"MIGHTY THEWED kings of true metal, or embarrassing boneheaded oafs? It's been suggested that a band as gloriously preposterous as Manowar could only be a Spinal Tap-style satire ('Gloves Of Metal' anyone?) but if this is a joke they've been telling it for more than 25 years without ever cracking a smile."

I get the impression they think Manowar "means it" due to that last line...

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You could say some similar comments about Spinal Tap and they're a parody band...

24. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

No, because Spinal Tap were intended to be a parody band from the first time

Manowar were never a parody band of any form

There're still a lot of predujices on this forum

25. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Forum Resident

Other bands play, MANOWAR KILLS.