Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I tried selling my Mercury Living Presence duplicates here when I bought the box sets; hardly a look. Not worth the effort to list them at Amazon, so I gave them to the public library.

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Both of those do sound great IMO. I think all of the Naxos SACDs are OOP IIRC.

3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Bump for this if anyone wants it.

4. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I think you are right. I DID buy a copy of the below recently so as to get the lesser known pieces since I am on an Americana binge at the moment; the EMI CD (Old American Songs) is a knockout too:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5-String likes this.
  5. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

It took me a while to find this but it's finally here and just finished listening to it.

[​IMG]

A really nice performance and flawless playing by the LSO. Sound quality is great for the time this was recorded which was 1958 IIRC.

7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have this CD in my collection as well. I probably bought it at least ten years ago ...

8. coopmv

Now playing the following CD for a first listen. This is one of several cantatas CD's by Domenico Scarlatti I bought over a month ago ...

[​IMG]

9. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

No image on my screen :shrug:

10. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Me neither.

11. coopmv

Try copy/paste of the image link again ... :D

12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Weird....I can see the image fine. In any case, I am talking about Grieg - Peer Gynt, with Oivin Fjeldstad conducting the London Symphony Orchestra, original Decca UK pressing LP.

[​IMG]

sgb likes this.
  13. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I should be getting a box set of Giulini's London recordings for EMI tomorrow.

PH416156 likes this.
  14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

005.JPG
    I usually enjoy " opera for orchestra " albums & this one is no exception. This was issued in Columbia's popular music series in

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

058.JPG
    This is my first time hearing this wife/husband piano duo, and they are very good, as are the pieces played & the recording quality.
    The Lutoslawski dates to 1941 & was written for his nightclub performances with Panufnik in occupied Warsaw. This EMI recording
    was originally issued in 1962.

5-String likes this.
  16. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

SOLD

dale 88 and bluemooze like this.
  17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Is there a worse recording of Mahler's First than Leinsdof account with the Boston SO (1963)? Maybe there is but I haven't found it. This is the worse I 've heard of this work. Lifeless, stiff and cold that's how I can describe it. I 've heard also his Third with the same orchestra and I found it equally dreary. Obviously Leinsdorf wasn't much of a Mahlerian.

[​IMG]

Stone Turntable likes this.
  18. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

IIRC, my dad had a Tchaikovsky ballet album conducted by Kostelanetz.

19. john greenwood

I have the Variations performed by Argerich and Friere

20. john greenwood

21. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

Like others I was intrigued to try out Blu Ray Audio and am not totally convinced. I bought the Kleiber Beethoven Nos.5 & 7 which I have on vinyl and SACD and so far whilst it is certainly very clear I found it quite harsh and unexciting. I tried out a couple of Rock Blu Rays and found them equally lacking.

On the other hand the most thrilling CD experience I have just had is with the SHM-Platinum CD of the Mravinsky Tchaikovsky No 6. As more of a vinyl person this has completely changed my perception of CDs. I literally cannot stop playing it. The detail is exquisite and dynamics are extraordinary (at least on my quite average system). I have been playing using an analogue output which undoubtedly helps but this is really so close to vinyl I keep expecting to hear the odd light tick.

Off the back of this I have ordered a few other SHM-Platinum including the Kleiber Beethoven which will be interesting to compare to the Blu Ray. Has anyone else taken the plunge with SHM Platinum? The only issue I can see is they seem to be focusing solely on DGG releases for the moment.

22. drh

drh Talking Machine

George, thank you very much for taking the time to post this in detail. I went to a thrift store today looking for some hair decorations for my daughter in the attached "bazaar" section (short description: cheapie junk booths) in satisfaction of a birthday request. While there, I cast my eyes over the CDs in the main store, and there was a copy of the Schubert sonata from the earlier Rubinstein Collection edition. I probably wouldn't have paid much attention, but, remembering your post, I looked more closely, and, lo and behold, it turned out to be the "previously unreleased" one from 1965, RCA 6257-2-RC. Needless to say, I snatched that puppy right up! Looking forward to auditioning as the madness of my present life permits.

I think somebody must have just donated his classical collection, because I picked up several other nice items:

The same Schubert sonata recorded as a "first release" by Horowitz on DG; coupling is Schumann's Kinderszenen. Horowitz is not in general my favorite pianist, but I do owe him a debt of undying gratitude for introducing me to Schubert's impromptu op. 90/4, to this day one of my favorite piano works, via one of his TV broadcasts back when I was a kid. Hence, the chance to hear him in the great final sonata caught my fancy.

Beethoven: Serenade op. 8 and string trio op. 9/3 by the Wiener Streichtrio on Calig. I have high hopes for this one; I think the label is defunct, but I've yet to hear a Calig release that wasn't very nicely recorded, and most have offered first-rate performances, if by unfamiliar names. I first met up with the work of Gitti Pirner in a Calig disc of Mendelssohn's preludes and fugues.

Torelli: Concerti, Sinfonie, & Sonate for trumpet and strings. Mauro Maur, trumpet, with the Budapest ChO under Giovanni Pacor, on the new-to-me Italian RS label. Or, as the booklet has it, "Erresse by Darpro srl-Undine/Italy."

Poulenc: Piano Works (Les Soirees de Nazelles; 3 Novelettes; Pastourelle; 3 mouvements perpetuels; Valse; 3 Pieces; selected Improvisations) by Pascal Roge on Decca.

Bizet: Sym. in C; Prokofiev: Classical Sym.; Stravinsky: Pulcinella. ASMF/Marriner, again on Decca. Bought it for the Stravinsky, of which I needed a decent account. Marriner is usually rather middle-of-the-road for my taste, but we shall see....

Beethoven: Piano Trio op. 1/2; Brahms: Piano Trio no. 2. Trio di Trieste on Ermitage. A Swiss radio recital from 1970.

Beethoven: Qtts. opp. 18/4 and 59/2. Artemis Qtt. on Virgin Classics.

Vivaldi: assorted Wind Concerti performed by the Scottish ChO under Jaime Laredo for Carlton Classics. (Another label new to me)

Stravinsky: Piano Music (Piano-Rag Music, Circus Polka, two Sonatas, Serenade in A, Tango, 4 Etudes op. 7) by Victor Sangiorgio. Naxos reissue of a recording originally on Collins Classics. The jewel case is cracked, but it's still shrinkwrapped.

Bach: Partitas 1 and 2; Schubert: Impromptus op. 90. Simone Dinnerstein for Sony. A promotional copy "available January 31, 2012" under the title "Something Almost Being Said"; oddly, the booklet is just a single sheet with a poem reprinted on the back. This will give me a chance to give the pianist a fair hearing; so far, all I know of it are snippets caught on the radio.

Robin L likes this.
  23. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

It was me. Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Top recording!

24. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Try the Naxos Bluray Audio discs of Schubert's Overtures and Rossini Overtures vol.1 (AFAIK there is no volume 2, though). $20 (not $30) for 2 hrs of music each, both stereo PCM and multi-channel DTS-HD Master Audio.

25. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I treasure also my Mravinsky/Tchaikovsky SHM-SACDs. Would it be possible to let me know the transfer/mastering credits of your platimun one please?

The Kleiber Beethoven SHM-SACD is superb as well, easily superior to the Int'l SACD where most propably the new Blu-ray audio is based on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.