Is Manowar a serious band?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tkl7, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

they look greasy

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Seriously loud!

Anonamemouse and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  3. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Forum Resident

You know if they do believe that, so what? Who are they hurting? Unless they seriously start telling their fans to wage actual war on those who practice "false metal", it's just another schtick. Look at the band Ghost - they are media darlings right now it seems. I don't seen anything different about what they're doing.

4. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Apparently "real men" wear leather and body grease.

5. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Nope, they are ridiculous.

6. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

Big anywhere in Europe. They set a a Guinness record for the longest metal concert ever back in 2008 in Bulgaria. I was there. FIVE. F*CKING. HOURS. They played like 30-40 songs. Absolute fan service. Respect for that!

I've seen them live three times. Every time they kicked major a**. Eric Adams is an amazing vocalist, one of the best in metal, honestly. The other guys are no slouches either.

Manowar have some 10+ albums and many many awesome tracks. Cheesy or not (purposely or not), they have deserved my respect and I like and respect them for what they are.

7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur Thread Starter

It has everything to do with what you wrote! You say they don't translate well in North America, but they are from here, so why would we need to have them translated at all :confused:

8. Probably only themselves. At the very least, being constantly vexed in one's greater ambitions can't be good for the blood pressure.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    BDC, Andrew J and Malina like this.
  9. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

10. tkl7

11. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

I saw them a few times "back in the day" and I always got the impression that they were DEAD serious. Also important to know that back in the early 80s this didn't SEEM nearly as preposterous as it does now. They may just be playing the game at this point, but they were absolutely serious in the 80s. That's what makes it so damn funny and appealing IMO.

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I really don't understand what's so hard to understand about Manowar. In the 80's it seemed like there were bands like them coming out of the woodwork. Any Black Metal band is more overbearingly serious about their Real Metal Philosophy than Manowar is. Anyone who's actually listened to any of their albums knows that they can play their asses off and can even write some amazing songs. To act as though they're somehow the Line Of Ridiculousness Which Has Never Been Crossed seems silly to me.

13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Wow...really? He didn't meant translation as in language.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  14. Synthfreek

Let each note I now play
    be a black arrow of death
    sent straight to the hearts
    of all those who play false metal

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

15. tkl7

I know. Nobody suggested he meant the language.

16. Synthfreek

17. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Senior Member

In case there's anyone in the solar system who hasn't seen this yet:

Dudley Morris and hi_watt like this.
  18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I agree with you....except for the fact that Eddie Trunk devoted an entire chapter to them in his Essential Hard Rock and Heavy Metal book! So...he's the other guy:)

19. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

I like the early records. The first 4 or so. Frankly, I am amazed that they are still viable enough to have a fan base that keeps them afloat. Amazing. Does anybody in the US buy their albums? I mean it's one thing to be Kiss, but Manowar??!?!? o_O Hey, all the power to 'em I say, if they can live their lives playing music they enjoy and get all the bills paid.

Anonamemouse likes this.
  20. tkl7

Is there a question here, or is there some other reason why you quoted my post?

21. Synthfreek

To show that you were the one who asked why they needed to be translated since they are from North America.

Purple and D.B. like this.
  22. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Forum Resident

When a band gets Orson Welles to narrate songs for them, they are deadly serious.

priestman, ifihadafish and oldcuster like this.
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Like I said, it's not just "one nameless Kerrang writer" - this thread exists because some people think Manowar might be more spoof than serious...

D.B. likes this.
  24. tkl7

1. The person who I was responding to used the term "translate," which is why I responded using the same term.
    2. There is no such thing as "The North American Language," so it is obvious we are not talking about language - in fact, you seem aware that he was not referring to language, yet you seem incredulous that I am not referring to language.

25. Jim N

Jim N Forum Resident

Where is Kane Roberts when you need him? Seriously, is this Chippendales for biker chicks or what?

BDC likes this.