Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #52)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here.

Welcome!

This thread (and the 51 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, classical works, classical composers or classical performers.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly, respectful and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that continue to make this thread an enjoyable, civilized and informative experience! You guys are still the best!

:wave:

2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Another Decca LP acquisition, Ansermet's 1961 legendary recording of Falla's Three Cornered Hat.

[​IMG]

This has been an audiophile favorite since it was released and rightly so. It has excellent dynamics, tonality and a very realistic soundstage that impresses even today after so many decades.
    Ansermet's interpretation is the best there is.

3. George P

...and a great cover too! :wave:

Robert Hood and 5-String like this.
  4. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  5. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Pretty sure ORG did a reissue of that one.

6. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

sgb, you asked in the last thread (my how time flies)

"I am ordering it from Germany next month, but would prefer to read first what were your reactions to Ks 503, 491, 537, 482, 413, 453, and 595."

Mozart Piano Concertos. Zacharias
    F
    inally made some time to listen to these. I liked the Zinman and Marriner led concertos. My personal reaction to the concertos conducted by Wand - I don't get it. Zacharias may be doing a fine job on the piano, but I couldn't get past the bad orchestral interpretations and the sloppy playing of the North German Radio Symphony.

sgb likes this.
  7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now listening to CD68 - excerpts from Lohengrin in the Wagner box within the following box for a first listen ...
    [​IMG]

1936 recording with the Bayreuth Festival Chorus & Orchestra and 1954 recording with VPO ...

8. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

9. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Bought the Gardiner/Bach book for my Kindle.

John S likes this.
  10. coopmv

Now listening to CD69 - excerpts from Meistersinger in the Wagner box within the following box for a first listen ...
    [​IMG]

1943 recording with the Bayreuth Festival Chorus & Orchestra. The sound is surprisingly good and clean ...

11. coopmv

Looks like Kindle is really burning iPad ... :D

12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Picked up a nasty sounding copy of Eliot Carter's Double Concerto for Piano, Harpsichord and orchestra on Epic. Also found a fine sounding London LP of Holst's "The Planets", Zubin Mehta, LAPO.

13. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Mine is en route, a Christmas selfie, if you will. I would love hear some general impressions on standout performances!

I've been able to d/l the 2 accompanying purchases while awaiting arrival of the physical product, and enjoying both immensely on the ipod while running in the Appalachian cold and rain.../K

http://www.amazon.com/Hovhaness-Mys...d=1386463334&sr=8-1&keywords=hovhaness+reiner

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Brandenb...3388&sr=8-12&keywords=bach+complete+concertos

14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I think you will love The Ring from 1953 on this set. It is a legendary performance and they did a great job with the remastering. A lot to listen to!

15. coopmv

The first sub(box) I went to in this megabox (aka lego block) is the Wagner set. It is unbelievable how good those 1938 and 1944 remastered recordings sound, considering they were recorded 70 years ago. Furtwangler was well known for his Wagner interpretation and I was not disappointed. I have had a number of EMI LP boxes by him for years but sonically they are no match for this CD box. I am sure it will take me well into next year before I can listen through this box for the first time.

The Trevor Pinnock's Bach Brandenberg Concertos & Orchestral Suites Archive set is the gold standard for these works. After 30 years, it is still head and shoulder above just about all other sets IMO, even though the sonically, it may be a little dated but it is quite good.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  16. coopmv

Now playing the following CD for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

17. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

From the ESOTERIC SACD front; new releases include:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Pinnock's box is a milestone, I completely agree. As the 1/2/3/4 harspischord cti with the same team are:

http://www.amazon.com/Concertos-J-S-Bach/dp/B00004SAAY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386489166&sr=8-2&keywords=pinnock bach

However I treasure the radical Goebel recordings as well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  19. coopmv

Now playing the following recording from my SACD collection on my universal player for the first time ...

[​IMG]

20. drh

drh Talking Machine

:agree: :edthumbs:

[But :hide: , recognizing that our friend Robin L. has offered some interesting insights about the artists' displeasure at being assigned these to record....]

21. drh

drh Talking Machine

As I type this, working on my laptop while at the dance school waiting for my daughter to finish a ballet lesson and looking out the windows at the arrival of the day's promised lousy weather, I'm listening to Elisabeth Schwarzkopf accompanied by Edwin Fischer in a recital of Schubert lieder. Just transitioned from "An Sylvia" to "Auf dem wasser zu singen." Sublime, musically and as performances. Copied from a not terribly quiet Angel LP (red label); sorry, George, Gieseking just got bumped again, as my wife pulled rank on you and assigned me to copy these as a Christmas gift for her mother, who turns out to be a very distant relation of the singer. Well, as "honey do" assignments go, this is one of the nicer ones! ;)

Robin L likes this.
  22. George P

Understood, David!

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The "Contractual Obligation Album". He'd probably rather be playing Biber and who could blame him?

I'd like to hear Jordi Savall's "Plush" sound attached to Trevor Pinnock's overall clarity. And Rinaldo Alessandrini leading Concerto Italiano features leadership that delivers the dynamics and speed of the MAK version with better sound and a real sense of commitment to their artistic choices:

[​IMG]

RiRiIII likes this.
  24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I cannot persuade myself to purchase any of the Esoteric SACDs at these high prices especially when you can get the LPs for much less. Esoteric SACDs are also sourced from PCM 24/96 copies and not from DSD files.
    It seems to me then that these are more like fetish items and more power to the people that collect them but IMO there are not a good value.

From the reviews that I 've read online I don't doubt that they sound nice. But do they sound better than the LPs in a way that justifies $70 to $100+ price per disc?

sgb likes this.
  25. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

They cost $50 each incl. shipping at ebay for all new and in stock releases. Not cheap in any way of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.