Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (fifth edition)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Well there's your problem, you've not remembered correctly.

2. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Paul was a Beatle??? Well you learn something new every day. I've read the extended version but I must have missed that little nugget. Who knew?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    BeatlesBop, sambamaster and Bill like this.
  3. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Millions of people learned from this forum that Lewisohn doesn't acknowledge Paul being the centre of the universe, so they refused to buy his book.

zobalob, PhoffiFozz, fishcane and 3 others like this.
  4. elvissinatra

elvissinatra Forum Resident

Just finished the standard American edition and I'm feeling sad it's over. I started reading Lewisohn's "Complete Beatles Chronicle" again to see what changed from the time he put that book together. In the 1962 summary he wrote that John, Paul and George wanted to oust Pete "based largely on jealousy of his good looks and the way he attracted the most girls, but it also went deeper than this." Kinda funny that Mona's version of their motives was accepted as fact until Tune In obliterated that argument.

Paulwalrus and Dugan like this.
  5. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

I returned Tune In to the library here already, so I can't look this up - but weren't some acetates made from the Decca tape at EMI? Or something ike that?

6. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Because Albert Goldman already wrote the definitive bestselling book on Lennon, making this book on Lennon redundant.

7. scoostraw

No. Lots of confusion surrounding this.

Why would anyone join a band with a stupid name like that ??

nikh33 likes this.
  8. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Brian Epstein had some cut at the HMV store on Oxford Street which led to.............................everything.

9. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

The only person who joined The Beatles was Ringo.

Yours,

A. Pedant

Paulwalrus, dewey02 and petem1966 like this.
  10. scoostraw

So what do you think this acetate on eBay is??

11. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I got a dinged up box as well but I called Amazon UK (used the "chat" feature) and they offered me a partial refund for the damage. Sounds like mine was more damaged than yours though it doesn't really matter.

For future reference Amazon doesn't care if you open damaged merchandise. I doubt they even look at it after its returned. If you really want a new one just open yours, read away and wait for the replacement set. Otherwise make sure you complain to them if you want that partial refund (they will offer you a 15% discount but if you're patient and keep at it you can get them to 20%). Mine was not well packed and the shipping box it came in was almost completely in pieces.

12. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Sounds like Amazon needs to stop offering international shipping on items weighing over a couple pounds. Just about everyone's was damaged from what it sounds like here.

13. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Maybe someone else covered this but EMI was the manufacturer of those acetate discs but it doesn't necessarily mean that it was recorded at EMI.

14. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I don't see them doing that. They must hedge their bets on the packing materials. Maybe its worth a few refunds or replacements if they save on packing materials. I don't get their packing philosophy but it must work in their favor in the long run. I'm okay with getting the set for 65 pounds total.

15. scoostraw

Ahh ok. So it's possibly a disc cut at HMV then. Still quite an interesting item.

16. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Decca.

17. slane

slane Forum Resident

Could be THE acetate that Kim Bennett took over to EMI (but got no interest).

elvissinatra likes this.
  18. scoostraw

Wow already bid up to $3600...

19. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

FINALLY got my Extended Edition from the UK late last week.....wow. Just an unreal volume and it's only the first of 3! Thankfully my case/book arrived in pristine condition, heck I even reused the box to send Christmas presents out of state.

I'm really not all that far into it yet, but I am just blown away at 1) The depth of information that is in this book, and 2) The fact that there is even a demand for something this deep about a rock band. It is really just mind blowing to think about. I'm enjoying what I've read so far, there's just so much here.

One thing I wonder about though....do you think this will be the "easy" volume for him to write considering that the next 2 will start to dig deeper into things that maybe a lot of people won't want to talk about? I mean the first volume probably has a little easier time coming across this endless amount of information because it's about their families, them when they were really young, or them before they really burst onto the scene and became "big." Whereas the next 2 volumes will attempt to tell the story with that same depth, although I'm skeptical that he will have just an easy time of getting people to spill their guts about The Beatles in these days of massive fame. There are probably some "scandals" in there along the way, and will those be told? And if they're told, will they be published?

I know we have years before we get the answers, but it just got me thinking.

Paulwalrus and Vagabond like this.
  20. Vagabond

Vagabond Forum Resident

I guess really only Lewisohn is qualified to answer, but - I would ASSUME it's the other way around. Their earlier years should be the hardest to write and should take the longest in theory as there's so much previously untapped research into their earlier period, and so many more dots that need to be connected.

Once we get to 1963 with Beatlemania kicking in, nearly every move they've ever made has been documented in the media. So, although it's a lot to write and document, everything is at least already out there. It's likely there'll be the fewest 'suprises' in Volume 2, but you never know.

21. OK I just received my special edition. Took a month from the UK to San Francisco. Not sure why since I got two other orders from Amazon UK within 5 or 6 days.

Anyway my book came in its own snug custom box (see label) which was also inside another box with paper so all is well.

photo 2.JPG photo.JPG

22. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

That is how mine arrived - over a month ago!

23. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Just how mine looked, but the Little Brown box was dented, as was the inner slipcase. The exterior (amazon) packaging was unblemished. Enjoy your read!

I think the thing that most blew me away early in the book (probably already discussed here, since I haven't been following this thread super closely), was the mortality rates for the Fab Four's grandparents' generation. I mean the first SEVEN children born to John Lennon (John's granddad) all died before 24 months?!? And there were early deaths on John's maternal grandparents' side, as well as both sides for Paul, and Richie. Only the Harrisons seemed able to survive the crib. Although I'm younger than the Fabs, my grandparents were born at roughly the same time - turn of the 20th century - so that fact sort of startled me.

24. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Maybe I missed a comment about this on this extensive thread but.... does anyone find it weird or telling there's virtually no mention of the book on the Beatles official site?

25. Phil65

Phil65 Forum Resident

Why on earth would they have anything to say about it? It has no official connection with The Beatles.

DrBeatle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.