The Velvet Underground "White Light/White Heat" 45th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

interesting. any info on what was actually considered for inclusion?

yeah, they could put out something like this:

[​IMG]

originally from the sundazed box, but make it a double/triple cd collection with everything.

DeeThomaz and Hep Alien like this.
  2. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Wait, is that a definitely known thing? I know there have always been rumors or 80s-era overdubs on the VU and Another View material, but is it proven?

3. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I don't think a track list was finalised but both LP mixes, What Goes On/Jesus mono 45, the Cale version of Beginning To See The Light and live tracks from 12/68 Boston Tea Party.

Note that 3rd LP session exist. Probably nothing earth shattering but I'd love things like stripped down mixes of What Goes On, Murder Mystery instrumental mix, Beginning To See The Light cold ending. Lots of interesting live stuff like the alternate lyric Pale Blue Eyes and Candy Says sung by Lou.

The Sundazed LP is marred by the 80's mixes and odd track list - I understand their hands were tied but it is a bit rich they claimed it was a "definitive" version of the 4th LP.

4. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I have a good amount of tracks from album 3 on the What Goes On box with the closet mix. I may have to pick up the 3rd album on CD before it goes OOP and give it another chance to get the Valentin mix. I just enjoy those first two albums so much and then the 3rd album is such a departure in sound. I haven't listened to any of those tracks from the 3rd album since the mid 90's. Maybe I'll appreciate them more now.

5. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Countess From Hong Kong and the vocal acetate of Ride into the Sun are hanging out there looking for a home.

6. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

I'm not sure it's ever been proven one way or another, but certainly many of those VU/Another View tracks that were mixed in the mid 1980s really sound like they were mixed in the mid 1980s, with an inappropriate big drum sound. Check out the difference between the Another View version of "Guess I'm Falling In Love" and the mix on the new WL/WH set which now properly sounds like an out-take from 1967 after all.
    It would be great to have all these VU/Another View tracks remastered sympathetically so they all sound like 1960s songs again, not 1980s remixes.

margaritatoldtom and crozcat like this.
  7. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

I think the version of this that's meant to sell a lot is actually the double vinyl.

spindly likes this.
  8. cubist

cubist Forum Resident

For me the mono is a revelation! This is the only way to listen to The Gift and Lady Godiva's Operation. The latter one especially - on the stereo version the voices sort of sit on top of the mix, in mono they sound correctly inte3grated and it is a far smoother listen. The mono of The Gift is a far better listen than the stereo one with all the instruments on one side and Cale's voice on the other. Finally I am very happy to have a dedicated version of The Gift's music on it's own. It cooks that's for damn sure!!

dee, Tuco, Platterpus and 1 other person like this.
  9. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

I just played cd1 of the 2cd set, it's not my favorite Velvet Underground album, but it sounds a lot better than the copy I bought somewhere in the 90s.
    I wonder if the band wanted the record to sound this way, or did something go wrong. It sounds worse than their first album to me.

10. Jointdekulas

Jointdekulas New Member

Back to the live version of the gift ... I just read this in an early interview with Sterling (from the Olivier Landemaine website):

<<
    There has been some bad reactions in critical circles toward narrative things like "The Gift" and "The Murder Mystery." Last night, Lou said that he wasn't going to do anymore of the narrative things because of the reaction to them. He felt "The Murder Mystery" succeeded. I do too.

I thought they liked "The Gift". I don't know. They might react against "The Murder Mystery" but "The Gift" is more coherent. I thought people liked it.

Do you perform either one on stage?

We used to play the music from "The Gift", occasionally. We never did perform "The Murder Mystery", it's too hard. Anything involving narration is really ridiculous to try and do before a live audience."
    >>

So I guess they played it without the narration ...

11. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

a8232f546b58c8867d0b7440e7c6139da343c31abdab69aac90c381e0f1a4232.jpg

12. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

That's interesting, I never heard that rumor!

13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I'd like to know if the US vinyl 2LP of WLWH is a different pressing to the UK? The UK one is pressed at GZ Vinyl (written in lead-out area), has 0602537639922 on the label under where is says STEREO and with a vinyl stamp matrix of 114300E1/A on the first LP.

I have the UK pressing and I'm getting inner-groove distortion at the end of Here She Comes Now and Guess I'm Falling In Love skipped in a random place the first couple of times I played it. The sound is generally great and the pressing quality is very good. So, I accept that the problem might be my arm-setup (cart recently re-aligned and set) but if the US is different I may return my UK copy and try to get the US version.

Anyone care to look for me, please?

Thanks.

14. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I just received the 2 CD Deluxe Edition version today and highly recommend this, if you can live without the Mono Version. It sounds great and comes with a decent booklet with liner notes and pictures. There is a great picture of the band holding up a copy of the LP. I think this Deluxe Edition is good value, compared to the Super Deluxe.

15. spindly

spindly Forum Resident

That's the route I took!

The second LP (sides 3 & 4) is excellent.

The vinyl is thick, glossy, and quiet (not that you need quiet vinyl for this release).

16. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Give a listen with good headphones...Love em both but I hear more clarity and less compression/loudness on the new one.

17. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Just got my hands on the Super Deluxe Edition, and I think the whole package is worthwhile based on the instrumental version of "The Gift" alone. Man, what a smokin' cut! This era of VU is anything but "fun"-sounding, but man, listening to the band cook away on "The Gift" makes me think how fun it must have been to play on these seminal takes.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  18. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I've got a boot somewhere where they threw in several of the vocal lines (maybe a minutes worth) from "The Murder Mystery" in the middle of a long "Sister Ray". I forget the name of the boot, it was a 2LP set.

19. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Sister Rays Murder Mystery. That's the boot that has the 40 minute Sweet Sister Ray referred to in the WL/WH deluxe liner notes. Too bad they couldn't find room for it.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  20. Jesús Alemany

Jesús Alemany Well-Known Member

This is a beast. After getting the super deluxe set, I had to get the vinyl too. Completely worth it.

21. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I've long had a scratchy needle drop of the mono, but this has been my first chance to really delve into a tape-sourced version and it feels like I'm hearing it for the first time. Good lord, "The Gift" and "Lady Godiva's Operation" are monsters in mono! Pretty sure this is the best way to hear the album.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  22. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

This was my take on it, also. The mono mix is much more forceful than the stereo, and the tracks you mention particularly so. It takes an already savage experience and ramps it up still further. Love it.

The stereo mix of "The Gift" is obviously a conscious, avant-garde decision, which works to unsettle the listener; the mono is a different animal altogether. The stereo is an intellectual exercise, the mono a physical one.

GetHappy!!, ralphb and DeeThomaz like this.
  23. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That's a really good point about "The Gift"-- it truely was a self-conscious avant-garde experiment in extreme stereo separation (and one the band took to it's logical conclusion on the next album with "The Murder Mystery"), and with that in mind, it makes total sense that they'd include vocal and instrumental versions of the tracks on disc 2. Some fans have referred to it as filler, but I think the nature of track fully warrants inclusion on a set like this.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    pablorkcz and stepeanut like this.
  24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Yes.

I'd LOVE a dedicated "4th LP" box. Day one purchase for sure. But I'm not sure we can make the leap that if the fact that they were considering such a set in the early 'noughts as an indication that it's still a realistic possible today. After all, back when the "4th LP" Deluxe Edition was discussed, the concept for multiple-disc "Super Deluxe" editions wasn't really in play (the only example I can think of from back then was The Beach Boy's PET SOUNDS SESSIONS box). At the time, such a box devoted to an unreleased (let alone uncompiled) album was hard to conceive. (But yet again, strangely enough, The Beach Boys later proved the concept could work with their SMiLE box from a couple years ago.)

So, as it turned out, the chronologically relevant VU and ANOTHER VIEW tracks ended up on the WL/WH box. So it makes a certain amount of sense that the remaining otherwise unreleased recordings could end up on a 3rd LP set.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

guys responding fresh to the mono version -- did you not get the Sundazed LP box set? or are you saying it because this new CD version is thought/known to be from different and better source?

I ask in part because I've been somewhat confused by the recent proliferation of editions, and because, as I did with last year's reissue of the first album, I skimped and got the "deluxe" rather than "super deluxe" version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.