Bob Dylan 'The Complete Album Collection Vol. 1' remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mattdegu, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdegu

mattdegu Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bob Dylan - The Complete Album Collection Vol.1 (47 disc set)
    http://www.bobdylan.com/us/news/bob-dylan-complete-album-collection-vol-1

This new thread is about the albums proper (including Side Tracks), and specifically the ones remastered for this landmark collection:

1. Self Portrait (1970) - newly remastered for this collection
    2. Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973) - newly remastered for this collection
    3. Dylan (1973) - newly remastered for this collection
    4. Street Legal (1978) - newly remastered for this collection
    5. Saved (1980) - newly remastered for this collection
    6. Empire Burlesque (1985) - newly remastered for this collection
    7. Knocked Out Loaded (1986) - newly remastered for this collection
    8. Down in the Groove (1988) - newly remastered for this collection
    9. Under the Red Sky (1990) - newly remastered for this collection
    10. Good as I Been to You (1992) - newly remastered for this collection
    11. World Gone Wrong (1993) - newly remastered for this collection
    12. Hard Rain (1976) - newly remastered for this collection
    13. Bob Dylan at Budokan (1979) - newly remastered for this collection
    14. Real Live (1984) - newly remastered for this collection
    (copied from Amazon UK)

The others are the currently-available albums and remasters Sony/Legacy has been selling since the early 2000's, though by some accounts Shot Of Love sounds different here.

Many people are wondering whether or not to buy this, and in the UK the price has risen on Amazon to £151 GBP, where it was closer to £120 not so long ago. It can probably still be seen as a bargain due to what is contains: all his studio albums in a compact form (including the official live ones), an informative picture book and a 2-CD collection of non-studio tracks called Back Tracks.

But is this set worth getting if you already have most or all of his albums?

Hopefully people can assess the quality of the new remasters (such comparisons are likely to feature in the individual album threads too). Also useful would be opinion on when the new remasters are likely to replace their respective shop-sold individual CDs, and whether Sony/Legacy will release Back Tracks on CD too, and not just keep it to the limited-edition vinyl. The thread already made in anticipation of the box (http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/bob-dylan-complete-album-collection.326813/) is already up to Part 3, yet many comments are still about various quality issues with the first batch - problems with scratched/wrong CD's etc. Sony has clearly been on the case replacing various CDs, so that should be all cleared up at some point.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    Matt Ellers likes this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have listened to nine of the remastered versions, and can honestly say, I really like the sound. I have NOT done direct comparisons to the earlier discs. My aural memory (which I believe is pretty good, I don't buy the talk about aural memory being brief, maybe for some) of the earlier versions are that in each case the new one sounds clearer without being thin or edgy.

3. Lee

Lee Forum Resident

Really like Budokan. Sound is great. Many disappointing albums at the time have more life with the long perspective.

Matt Ellers likes this.
  4. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

I like the remastered sound for the discs in the box. Nice job.

5. duggan

duggan Senior Member

I wonder whether the Street Legal remaster is of the original "Street Legal" or the remixed "Street-Legal".

6. GowG

GowG Forum Resident

Original mix

duggan likes this.
  7. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Not very happy with the 'Hard Rain' remaster....it always sounded a bit rough and I discern no particular improvement

8. Maddin61

Maddin61 Forum Resident

My first listen had these results:

1. Self Portrait (1970) improved sound ... but I prefer Another Self Portrait by far.
    2. Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973) improved sound ... but I never got into Pat & Billy that much.
    3. Dylan (1973) improved sound but not improved music ;-)
    4. Street Legal (1978) I prefer the 1999 remix
    5. Saved (1980) significantly improved sound, like this one much more than the earlier releases. But it´s still not a classic.
    6. Empire Burlesque (1985) sounds better now but I always disliked the 80s sound of that album.
    7. Knocked Out Loaded (1986) improved but I will not listen to that one more than before
    8. Down in the Groove (1988) improved but I will not listen to that one more than before
    9. Under the Red Sky (1990) improved, but sound has always been good on that one IMO
    10. Good as I Been to You (1992) significantly improved, no hiss, sounds even better than my vinyl ... to me.
    11. World Gone Wrong (1993) significantly improved, no hiss, sounds even better than my vinyl ... to me.
    12. Hard Rain (1976) to me this sounds harsher and thinner than before ...
    I prefer the old edition
    , would love to compare to the MusicOnVinyl-remaster. One of my favourite Dylan-albums.
    13. Bob Dylan at Budokan (1979) significantly improved sound ... but Europe 1978 has been so much better that I will not become a lover of Budokan.
    14. Real Live (1984) improved ... but I have to admit that I am used to listen to Tangled Up In Blue alone from that release.

There has been quite a lot of chatter about Shot of Love (1981) having been remastered.
    For me this one has always sounded great on vinyl and on CD.
    The new CD included in CAC (Complete Album Collection) is much louder, levels are higher.
    Is it any better? Let your ear be your guide ... ;-)
    I prefer the old CD ... and turn the volume up by myself.

Written from first impressions.

9. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

So you agree about Hard Rain? no improvement at all?

10. Lonson

Hard Rain sounds improved to me. It's one of my least favorite Dylan albums though.

11. Maddin61

Maddin61 Forum Resident

For me it´s similar to the John Wesley Harding remaster, but not that significant.
    It´s nearly impossible for me to listen to JWH remastered. Too harsh, too thin.
    The original version is wonderful ...

Let me start writing about Hard Rain by writing about a coffee shop here in town.
    I loved that shop, because the coffee has been the best in town ... it was not perfect there, the chairs were old, walls needed new color ... i thought so.
    When they had everything made new ... new coffee-machine, new colors, new chairs ... it was fine, but it wasn´t my shop any more.

Same with Hard Rain.
    Hard Rain has always sounded a bit dirty to me and I love the sound of this album.
    Listen to Shelter From The Storm LOUD. Fantastic music.
    The new edition might be more precisely in some cases, more cleaned up in the corners :) ... but it is a different rain. ;-)
    I will stick to the old one.
    I am used to that one.

fluffskul and JimC like this.
  12. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Yes, I agree...Shelter From The Storm has always been the standout track on the album....but now it sounds very harsh and thin....a very disappointing remaster

The boots from that part of the tour ('76) are much better than this, the only official record

13. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Glad I have my white label promo LP of Hard Rain.

14. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

Me too, but I regret peeling off the white sticker for radio, it was blocking half of his face!

15. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

Hard Rain should have been remixed *and* remastered. You shouldn't have all those mixing problems with those high shrill sounds throughout the album. Completely unacceptable.

stef1205 and bobcat like this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I'd be interested in whether the Side Tracks cuts taken from Biograph are identical to the second edition of that set, or improved.

And how George Jackson sounds compared to the original 45RPM

17. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

I think Shot Of Love sounds much different. For the better, IMHO. But I am notoriously unreliable, and it's strange that there seems to be no consensus on whether it is remastered or not...:confused:

18. Lonson

I too think Shot of Love sounds different, and better.

19. mattdegu

I think that sometimes they only adjust the volume or EQ a bit, but that's not enough to be considered a proper remaster. Maybe sometimes that's all you need to do to improve a cd? It's also not on their list of course.

20. Maddin61

Maddin61 Forum Resident

To me Shot Of Live sounds *much* louder and compressed.
    They might have added some EQ.
    Anyone looked at the DynamicRange? So far none of the new remasters are listed at the data base.

21. rgomes23

rgomes23 New Member

Hi!

Is there a way to get a summarized version as to what flaws there were on the "Bob Dylan - The Complete Album Collection Vol.1" Box Set and the "Another Self Portrait" (Deluxe Edition)?

Thanks!

22. aoxomoxoa

Pretty sure it was just Hard Rain and the remastered 4th disc in the deluxe BS 10

23. mattdegu

I've re-asked this question on the the other Complete Collection thread, in this post: Bob Dylan: Complete Album Collection (pt3).

I think it's a bit early for a full summary in this thread (ie it's still ongoing), and would probably lead to duplicate discussion if gotten into here.

24. COBeatles

COBeatles Member

Anyone else missing Times They Are A Changing??? Just received the set brand new and sealed for Christmas and this entire disc and sleeve is missing!! Any email address that can help with this? VERY bizarre

25. aoxomoxoa

Read the first post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.