Have we seen the end of any new or unreleased Raspberries music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peachy, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Since the live album a few years ago it's been pretty quite on the Raspberries front. Would love to see something from the vaults if it exists, or even a new Eric Carmem. Such great hope during their reunion mini tour.

RickH and Hep Alien like this.
  2. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I was onboard for all the reunion activities. I saw the first show they did together after all those years, and another several months later. They were outstanding.

I don't know the details, but I think some of the old animosities eventually surfaced. Also, it was difficult for Dave Smalley to participate as he lives in Arizona and has a regular job —whereas Wally, Jim and (I believe) Eric still live in the Cleveland area.

I haven't been actively checking lately, but it seems to me that Eric has been lying low ever since being charged in a pretty serious drunken driving incident a few years ago.

Other than the three early demos that escaped briefly before being withdrawn, I'm not aware of any other Raspberries rarities that are likely to surface.

3. popscene

popscene Senior Member

There was some exciting Eric Carmen news announced earlier in the year, particularly the release of the pre-Raspberries Cyrus Erie and Quick tracks:

http://www.ericcarmen.com/news-2013-05-15.html

Less exciting is the 2-CD Essential set, although it sounds like it will be a nice career-spanning distillation and will likely contain a new song or two. From the posts on his forum, it appears that it's been pushed back to March 2014.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

Great thread idea, Peachy! :wave:
    And thanks MikeM and popscene for the updates :righton:

popscene likes this.
  5. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I want that early CD - that sounds killer. I can play that and my Choir CD to get my pre-Raspberries groove on.

popscene likes this.
  6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Got this one from a forum member.

[​IMG]

Darryl

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I play that all the time - has some great stuff on there!

Bill likes this.
  8. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. Peachy

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Reading the paragraph about My Girl, it almost makes it sound like it's remixed and is now a rocker. I'm not sure how true that will be but it will be interesting to hear this new set.

11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

That link just blew MY mind! I want that 2-CD set right NOW! The sad truth is, why was this done last July and is now pushed back to March 2014? That scares me that possibly somebody in the "higher up chairs at SONY", didn't like it, as much as Eric and Mark Wilder did? I'm hoping that the hold-up is that they might truly have Eric cut a few new tracks for it. It would be cool if Eric could get the rest of The Raspberries together for a new song, but I can almost promise you that those guys would never do that, especially if the name of the album that the song will appear on is called, "The Essential Eric Carmen"!

12. Peachy

AAAHHHHH NO!!!! This has to come out!!! Really though I thought the same thing and would not be surprised if it never came out. I don't see the boys joining up with Eric Carmen either. Lastly, Saying that they want to market to a younger demo lie 35-45 years old? I don't think so and that may be the issue, to small a market to produce this compilation, at least for Sony. 50/50 is my guess.

13. Chris C

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. LeeDempsey

LeeDempsey Forum Resident

Thanks for the link! It should sound like a great lost Beach Boys track -- that's Darian Sahanaja, Nick Walusko, and Mike D'Amico (of Wondermints) and Jeffrey Foskett -- the core of Brian Wilson's band. Carmen managed Wondermints early in their career.

Lee

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I really like Eric and Raspberries, obviously but these ballads have got to go. I like rocking Eric and wish he'd quit trying to sound like his music idols and just be himself. Maybe he's just a sap after all. I want him to rock.

jconsolmagno likes this.
  16. Chris C

I just looked at your profile page and be it that you are less than one year older than me, (I'm 52), you really don't expect Eric, at 64, to be cranking out some hard edge track like, "Tonight" or even one like "Go All The Way", do you? We're talking The Raspberries here, not The Who or The Rolling Stones, those guys are going to die on stage, playing "Start Me Up" and "Won't Get Fooled Again", for the millionth time!

This new song screams "Eric Carmen" (solo artist)..., but maybe you haven't followed his solo career, because this is basically what he has been cranking out since 1976?

17. apple-richard

I have it all, Raspberries and solo and most bought at time of release. I had to special order the Starting Over album because none of the stores in my area carried it. Side 3 was everywhere and didn't sell so I guess they didn't want to be stiffed again. He's put out some decent rockers since 1975 but he wants to be a ballad man apparently in his old age. They really cooked during the reunion shows and I bought the autographed super deluxe of the Live album. The Refreshed CD showed the others still had their writing chops, wished they could have worked Scott McCarl into the reunion shows somehow. I'll buy his latest, I always do. I'd like to see him cut loose some more and get off that damn piano stool.

Some of my recent contributions to the Friday Night Record and a Cocktail thread.

Side 3 001.JPG Raspberries Starting Over 001.JPG Raspberries Starting Over 002.JPG Raspberries Best New 002.JPG

18. apple-richard

One more.

Raspberries Best New 001.JPG

Raspberries 001.JPG Raspberries Best New 001.JPG

Hep Alien and rockerreds like this.
  19. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

OK, that vinyl makes me very jealous.

Thrilled to stumble upon this thread -- mostly for the remastering. We had our annual holiday party on the other night and I had my Spotify party playlist blasting. "Go All the Way" came on and a woman came up to me and said "I haven't heard this in 30 years. Who IS this???" While certainly not as tragic as Badfinger, the Raspberries were another band to not get what they were due for fame and acclaim.

apple-richard likes this.
  20. apple-richard

The MOFI Raspberries Best cranks to high heaven. There's so much compression on Go All The Way you can feel the air getting sucked right out of the room. I love it. :edthumbs:

GV1967 and forthlin like this.
  21. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Well, it's equally possible that you didn't follow the Raspberries reunion concerts a few years back. I saw two of them, and believe me, Eric is entirely capable of rocking very hard indeed when he wants to. Their performance of "I Don't Know What I Want" at one of them was among the most powerful moments I've seen from any band at any time in decades of concert-going.

I share apple-richard's view of wishing that Eric would rediscover that side of his musical self.

(P.S. I'm only two years younger than Eric, and I played 3 1/2 hours last night with two short breaks. The ratio of rockers-to-ballads was about 4:1. Age is no barrier, and no excuse.)

FastForward, Bill and apple-richard like this.
  22. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

If that Essential Eric Carmen CD does materialize, that would be an instant buy for me.

Bill likes this.
  23. Chris C

Great to hear that you're still out there "rocking" and since I'm so close to you, here in Ohio, I'll have to come witness it firsthand sometime!

As for The Raspberries, I was at the reunion show they did at Nautica, when The Knack opened for them. I was literally in the very first row at that show, with the infamous "Raspbernie" and Ken Sharp, sitting right behind me. I had the pleasure of going backstage after the show and meeting everyone. The sound engineer kind of ruined their show that night and Eric, was especially pissed and who could blame him, as there was one point that they didn't have his keyboard turned "on", if you can believe it? I remember him looking down at us, shrugging his shoulders and throwing his hands in the air, with one of those "this is why I don't get back together with this band" smile on his face. The Raspberries have never truly gotten their due, even though they weren't together very long.

Here is Eric & Wally "rocking" ...

Eric & Wally.jpg

apple-richard and Hep Alien like this.
  24. Chris C

Thanks for the fun photos above!

My Raspberries vinyl, including my new MFSL red vinyl, is on loan to a very good friend, whom I trust with such things! Here are a few of my treasured Carmen related pressings, including the full set of "Pastmaster II" Japanese CD's ...

Eric C 1.jpg Eric C 3.jpg Eric 2.jpg

Hep Alien and apple-richard like this.
  25. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

What is the top CD in the 2nd picture?

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.