Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #52)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

l_p0027765667.jpg

Here it is, the best classical reissue of 2013: Bruckner by Eduard van Beinum. I've never heard a more natural approach to Bruckner's symphonies as Van Beinum's. These are definite reference recordings as far as I'm concerned. Rather swift tempos, but completey convincing. Great sound for 1950's recordings (mono). If you love Bruckner, buy it now!

Bronth likes this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

What exactly is yesasia.com I have noticed on the lower right hand corner of your image attachment? :confused:

3. Casagrande

It's the only bigger image I could find of this release, it's from the yesasia.com site. Amazon doesn't even have an image up for this one. Yesasia has nothing to do with the actual item, it's just a retailer..

4. coopmv

I was under the impression that the set was released by yesasia.com under licensing agreement with UniversalMusic ...

5. Casagrande

6. drh

drh Talking Machine

A followup: I just pulled my Murray Hill edition of the Kertesz-LSO Dvorak cycle from the shelves, and there on the box is the following inscription: "By Arrangement with Vox Productions Prepared by Murray Hill Records a Division of Crown Publishers, Inc." These are the Decca recordings, right? Odd that they would come to Murray Hill from Decca by way of Vox.

7. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I remember some of those.

I wonder how many labels that Krips Beethoven cycle has appeared on over the years.

8. coopmv

drh, I am somewhat skeptical that these recordings were originally Decca. MHS, a much more respected private label in classical music, could not license from the likes of DG until the 1990's or later (I should know as I was a subscribing member of MHS through the LP days and stayed on until the mid 90's).

9. coopmv

In light of strong recommendations by George and a few other members of CMC, I just ordered the following set this morning before it becomes very pricey ...

[​IMG]

Does anyone have the following box? I regret not having picked it up a few years ago when it was available for under $30. IIRC, Pierre Monteux was a big deal in the 1950's.

[​IMG]

10. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

There's plenty of Murray Hill boxes that say "Declon", which is their way of saying 'Decca/London.' This is the Kertez/LSO set of the Dvorak symphonies, right?

11. drh

drh Talking Machine

Yup, Kertesz/LSO. Just double-checked my catalogue and found that at least the last 3 were also issued in a VoxBox credited to that same "Declon," so I guess that's the Vox connection. Funny how these things get around sometimes.

Robin L likes this.
  12. JazzLife

JazzLife Well-Known Member

Just starting in on the Stravinsky, Le Sacre du Printemps: 100th Anniversary Edition, 10 Reference Recordings, Sony box set:

[​IMG]

So far, Disc 1: Stokowski with The Philadelphia Orchestra, 1929-30, and Stravinsky with the Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra of New York, 1940. The Stokowski is excellent, but I preferred the Stravinsky.

John S and Robin L like this.
  13. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

GREAT CD I have this one in my collection!

Robin L likes this.
  14. john greenwood

Just listened to Skrowaczewski conduct the two suites from Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet from the Mercury box. Stunning sound (on my second system).

Edit - my gosh, he's still conducting (or at least he was last year at 89).

15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

He does? Wow!
    Skrowaczewski is a very good conductor and I have enjoyed quite a few of his recordings but especially his Bruckner.

16. coopmv

Placed the following orders with a few Amazon MarketPlace sellers today. It appears MarketPlace sellers are not obligated to collect sale tax ...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. john greenwood

I have the Dvorak/Szymanowski disc although I've only listened to it once or twice. Not my favorite Dvorak works. I also have the Beaux Arts Trio recordings as part of the 9 disc set on Philips. I considered getting the SACDs but wasn't convinced there would be sufficient improvement in sound to justify it.

As for The Nutcracker I'm happy with my SACD of Dorati on Mercury. I might get the video of the Balanchine production.

18. coopmv

I may still get the 9 disc set, as this will not be the first time I have a duplicate in SACD ...

19. john greenwood

In his seminal book, The Classical Style, Charles Rosen describes the trios as one of the great achievements of Haydn's later years on a level comparable to his symphonies and quartets. The box set is worth purchasing.

20. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Added this legendary LP box set to my collection.

[​IMG]

Lawrence Leighton Smith and Dmitri Kitayenko conduct the Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra in a varied programme by Glinka, Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich, Piston, Copland, Mussorgsky et al.
    Issued by Sheffield Labs back in the 80s and engineered by "Professor" Keith O. Johnson and Stan Ricker, this is considered an audiophile marvel.
    I found the rare test pressing with the different cover and I will post more details as soon as I will get the chance to listen to it.

Stereophile had published a very nice review back in February 1988.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/recording-february-1988-ithe-moscow-sessionsi

21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have the Haydn, it is very good.

22. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I got the whole shebang!

[​IMG]

5-String likes this.
  23. coopmv

This box has been on my wish list forever that it is now no longer under the Philips label ... LOL

24. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Get it! It's a special set. Gorgeous playing, sound, so soothing and serene.

5-String likes this.
  25. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.