When you were a kid and listened to a song, what did you get totally wrong about it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

When I was a kid I thought that the lead vocal of SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE by Cream was all one person. I didn't get that Jack and Eric were trading lines.

I remember not being able to tell the difference in lead vocalists in Beatle records. Of course, I didn't know their names yet but still, I wasn't sure who sang DO YOU WANT TO KNOW A SECRET. (It makes me feel better than no one else here in the USA did either).

And of course I thought (thanks to the "ampless" Beatles first Ed Sullivan appearance) that electric guitars were plugged right into the wall socket.

I loved the Rolling Stones IT'S ALL OVER NOW. I thought they were geniuses for writing that. Sigh.

I thought (or hoped) that it was BITCHIN' PIECES by the Dave Clark Five instead of BITS AND PIECES.

WMTC, Panama Hotel, bmoc79 and 45 others like this.
  2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I remember listening to one of the Beatles' love songs, "Elaine", where the singer couldn't stop thinking about her:

"And Elaine, is in my ears and in my eyes..."

3. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Thought it was a "Magical Mystery Door."

4. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Stevie Wonder's Part Time Lover. I heard Apartheid Lover.

JosepZ, BoogieFish, intv7 and 72 others like this.
  5. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

For ages I thought that !!

6. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I am sixty years old and have been listening to Sunshine of Your Love since it came out and am
    Just finding out now that Jack and Eric were trading lines !!!

7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I remember a Monkees song called When Love Comes Knocking at your door and thinking it said "it's gonna be a magic copper mine".

8. Steve Hoffman

Well, now you know!

9. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Too many to recall :wave:

The most common, passing artists up (or whatever it called)
    for example, when I first listened to Peter Murphy 'Strange Kind Of Love' I thought it was Neil Diamond
    I thought Dave Maclean 'We Said Goodbye' was George harrison's
    Seals & Crofts 'Summer Breeze' was Cat Stevens'

etc, etc

And I never, NEVER thought it was actually a WOMAN singing this song

10. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

A few...I thought the flute at the end of Hendrix' "If 6 was 9" was Jimi getting a crazy "flutey" guitar sound.

Reading the liners to Breakfast in America I had no idea what an "acoustic" guitar was. Thought maybe it was what made the cool sound at the end of Goodbye Stranger (really a wah wah, of course).

The Stones were the last of the BIG bands that I could not identify when hearing them on the radio. I don't know why.

Also, I always thought the end of Layla was a Jackson Browne song.

WMTC, Jarleboy, supernaut and 7 others like this.
  11. turniton1181

turniton1181 Past the Audition

I thought Michael Jackson was singing "I'm a man, a man, you know it."

12. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I never comprehended any of Steely Dan's lyrics.

Wait, I still don't! :angel:

Damiano54, Davmoco, Icethorn and 22 others like this.
  13. auburn278

auburn278 Forum Resident

I thought that Cat's in the Cradle was sung by Cat Stevens.

My Uncle Jerry had me convinced that Jamie's Cryin' was written about me (and then later I thought the song title was Janie's Crying).

I thought Jamie's Got a Gun was Jaime's Got a Gun (again thanks to that uncle). I was a trusting child.

Jarleboy, VQR, JonnyKidd and 3 others like this.
  14. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

i thought 'long cool woman in a black dress' was CCR

15. auburn278

auburn278 Forum Resident

This song lead me to believe that The Hollies were a southern rock band. I didn't learn otherwise until my teens.

16. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

I agree with some of the above. "Sunshine of Your Love" tricked me for many years, and I learned about "Venus" being sung by a woman on this forum, several years ago.

One not mentioned is "Any Time at All" by the Beatles. I didn't know about Paul's singing of the second line until I read Lewisohn's "Recording Sessions", when I was already in my twenties. Even then, I had to go put on the record and check it out. I thought it was John, straining to hit those notes.

All of these songs I knew since before I was a teenager, so I guess they count.

17. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

I always thought the opening line to Dear Prudence was April Mist, can you come out to play. As in so what that it is misting, come out and have some fun.

Also from the liner notes of the first released Traveling Wilbury''s LP, I thought the line up would be very fluid, with other Wilbury''s (friends of the inital members) would be joining in for future LPs. I had hoped that perhaps Eric Clapton, Ringo members of The Band etc. would perhaps play on future LPs as Traveling Wilbury''s . Boy was I wrong.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  18. lastdamdown

lastdamdown Forum Resident

I could swear my dad told me when I was young that John Fogerty died of a drug overdose. Of course he didn't record anything for years until "The Old Man Down The Road" came out. I remember being shocked when I discovered that he was still alive!

19. drasil

drasil Former Resident

when I first started to read the credits on my dad's album sleeves, I mistook the names for the roles in guitar playing for the names of entirely different types of instruments--so, I thought there were 'lead guitars' and 'rhythm guitars' manufactured that were different from each other, etc. (pretty sure this came from comparing it to orchestral credits. I was probably about four at the time.)

it got really weird when I tried to figure out the credits on Eno albums ('snake guitar'), at which point I asked my dad and he cleared things up for me.

20. Steve Hoffman

I remember thinking that a rhythm guitar must have a bunch of extra pickups on it (like John Lennon's Rikki) and a lead guitar less pickups but bigger like George's Gretsch.

That's a memory that has been lost until this moment. Wow.

WMTC, andrewskyDE, Michael and 12 others like this.
  21. Mathew

Mathew Forum Resident

When I was 5 or 6, I would play 'band' with my friends and we'd always sing The Tide Is High by Blondie. I didn't know the words, at all, and I'm not even sure what I was singing - just some nonsense. The only lyric I knew was 'I'm gonna be your number one'. :D

22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I actually just discovered this a few months ago haha. Now it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I thought, in "Spill the Wine," instead of saying:

Spill the wine, take that pearl

they were saying:

Do I dig that girl?

I remember listening to this song late at night on the radio while going to sleep. It creeped me out. Sometimes, I would turn it off.

23. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

The only thing I can think of on this is there was this Partridge Family song on the radio called I Woke Up In Love This Morning, for some reason I heard it as I Want Country Love This Morning. :)

JonnyKidd and goodiesguy like this.
  24. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I heard it as:
    "Once there was a way
    To get back home
    Sleep, Baby Donahue, do not cry
    And I will sing you a lullaby."

Another one I just thought of...I was about 4 when Dire Straits "Money For Nothing" came out. I liked "Who's The Boss" a lot, and I was convinced that Tony Danza was singing "MFN." I was really disappointed when the video came on and saw that it wasn't him.

25. ABull

ABull Forum Resident

After seeing that, I'm still not sure...

ashiya, goodiesguy and Zack like this.