Kinks Reunion Inches Closer To Fruition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Jan 1, 2014.

1. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

While I'm hopeful it'll happen, it'd be okay by me if it didn't. What I'd really like is if Ray Davies started putting out some new music.

Jarleboy, Marty T, Mr Hankey and 5 others like this.
  3. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Smacks of desperation to me, like Ray's recent choral and duets albums recycling the classic tunes.
    As a long-time fan, I'd prefer that they just let it be. Have dinner and wine and reconcile. Just don't do it for $75 a ticket (plus convenience charges).
    :hide:

parman likes this.
  4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The reunion threads seam to pop up monthly.

I'd wait in the cold rain and snow to get a ticket.

Then again, my motto is I don't have to be like everybody else.

Mr Hankey, footlooseman and JRM like this.
  5. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Kinks reunion or not, Ray is supposed to have a new album of new songs sometime this year. The songs are supposed to be "Americana" themed to go along with his recent book.

If a Kinks reunion happens, I'll go to a few shows.

Jarleboy, Marty T, Clanceman and 2 others like this.
  6. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I'd certainly love to see them play , Provided it's not a huge cash grab & tix are not crazy Prices .

7. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

That would be a good deal with today's rates. I don't want them to feel the need to tour. Just do some songs together, release them, maybe do a one-off show (To the Bone style), record it, sell it, live another 20 years to do it again.

Also I too would like Ray to write some new songs. I like both Other People's Lives and Working Man's Cafe. He's still got it in him. No more duets or chorals please.

8. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

They had their chances when Peter Quaife was still with us.

Too late for me to care now.

so tired of waiting...

Fullbug and john hopkins like this.
  9. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

The Davies brothers have some reservations, though, with Dave claiming, “I don’t want to see the legacy of The Kinks soured by two miserable old men doing it for the money.”

Thanks Dave.

10. I hope it doesn't happen Doesn't need to.

recklessczar and john hopkins like this.
  11. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Really? Pete left in 1969. Would you not have seen them in 1970 when they returned playing in America? Is Dalton still around? Geez, that would be nice.

Jarleboy, Fullbug and JoeRockhead like this.
  12. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

What does that have to do with anything? I've seen The Kinks several times, well into the '80s. Thread title states "reunion".

I was referring to the much talked about plans to reunite when Peter Quaife was still alive, each time ending with the usual adversarial sibling ********. There's something galling about dredging this crap up once again after founding members pass on (see Monkees, Faces etc.)

13. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

What's the impetus for the Uncut interview? Re-issue activity? Anyway, good to see that someone is talking to Avory.

14. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Ummm... to answer your question, it has to do with Pete leaving in 1969 so I don't see the point in getting your panties twisted because he can't be involved in a 'reunion.' I'm glad you saw the Kinks, I didn't. So if they were to go out and play it sure would be nice and I could care less if Pete's not there because he's the one that never wanted to do a reunion in the first place. This will probably turn into another sibling ********** and won't happen this time either.

15. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks LandHorses! I missed that news about a new Ray solo album...

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ray-davies-new-album-kinks-reunion/

linclink likes this.
  16. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

As long as the quality of the live performance is good, I'd love to see them again.

linclink likes this.
  17. jonmayo15

jonmayo15 Forum Resident

Dave on Facebook:
    "Me and my girlfriend had a nice vegetarian curry with my Ray and his girlfriend the other night. We had a lovely evening-It was a wonderful way to kick off a new year! Happy 2014 everyone
    Love, Dave"

In the same post he posted a Youtube link to "Wait Till Summer Comes Along".

18. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Ray and Dave, I love you but don't, just don't, preserve your dignity

I saw them at Glastonbury in the 90s and it was the saddest gig I have ever been to.

Brettlowden and planetneurosis5 like this.
  19. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

They're getting ready for it... "You Really Got Me" was released August 4, 1964. 50th anniversary - too good an opportunity to pass up.

Get ready for the Byrds reunion in 2015.

Hep Alien and linclink like this.
  20. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

More likely they get Rodford, which may be a problem for the Zombies.

JoeRockhead and linclink like this.
  21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

If they do anything, I think it would just be a one-off show, or some very few shows at the most, in London. I don't think they are going to start a tour across the Americas. They probably could do some new recording too, maybe an EP (3 new songs, and another remake of You Really Got Me). That shouldn't be too taxing if they decide to do it.

But as I have mentioned before, Dave is not the player he used to be. I think Dave could be okay in a studio setting. However, in a live setting, he can no longer carry the band musically. So any concert would only be the Kinks in name. Basically, it would be Ray Davies solo with some former members of the Kinks.

Arnie

22. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Anyone here seen Dave at his most recent shows? How's his playing and stage presence?

23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Here's a clip from last summer:

Judge for yourself.

Arnie

CBS CLASH 3 and Om like this.
  24. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

No problem. Zombies open the show. :righton:

Om, Hep Alien, JoeRockhead and 5 others like this.
  25. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

"another" re-make of You Really Got Me?? - any other versions of YRGM they've released have been live versions, not attempts to re-make the original recording in the studio.