Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #52)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Very good set, much better played/recorded than Krips/LSO.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I suspect the Krips/LSO set is not very good. Hopefully the Mozart Symphonies by Krips/RCO is good since the set is on its way from the Amazon seller ...

3. drh

drh Talking Machine

The Krips set, which was my intro to the Beethoven syms. 'way back when I was a young teen, is, for the most part, stunningly well recorded. Really top notch job with the conspicuous, and regrettable, exception of the final mvt. of the 9th. Alas, the performances are extremely uneven, to say the least. I've bored the fair denizens of this thread with my detailed conclusions before, but suffice it to say that in my view the best way to approach the set is as eight placeholder symphonies offered up as fillers for a pretty nice account of the "Pastoral." At the low price usually asked, the set can be grudgingly endorsed as an introduction to the literature, as it was for me, but there are better choices out there even at that level without incurring much more expense, and it really would serve no purpose for anyone who has moved beyond the most neophyte level of collecting.

The Krips Mozart recordings have a much better reputation.

4. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Muzio Clementi – Piano Sonata Op.12/1
    Frederic Chopin – Piano Sonata No.2 Op.35
    Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli (ICA Classics / BBC Legends)

[​IMG]

5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Arturo ....bravissimo!

6. coopmv

drh, Thanks for the confirmation on the Mozart's box ...

7. coopmv

I paid $17 for the following set back in 2008. I think they are exactly the same.

[​IMG]

8. coopmv

Now playing CD11 - Variations from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

9. John S

John S Forum Resident

I paid $29.44 for that set, plus almost everything else Beethoven composed with this 85 CD Brilliant box:

[​IMG]

Urban Spaceman and PH416156 like this.
  10. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

How passe. Those 85 CDs will fit on a Blu Ray disk or two. Maybe they will be given away with magazine subscriptions. I don't know whether to be thrilled or depressed. :confused:

11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Where did you get it for that price? Not that I'm interested, but that's a great price. I already have too much of it: symphonies, piano concertos and sonatas, string trios and quintets and Missa Solemnis, all purchased separately.

Six or seven years ago, I got the Sony 60 disc set for $25 when it came out. It's missing some songs, canons, epigrams and jokes. I'm not really interested in them. I've heard them once from the DG complete edition that I borrowed from the library. It also may be missing some miscellaneous piano and chamber pieces.

[​IMG]

12. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Today at work (off clock), while forging continued sequential progression through the magnificent Berlin Philly 100-year box, I encountered Schoenberg's Verklrte Nacht, op.4 and Variations for Orchestra, op.31; what an anomalously mind-bending trip these pieces proved: at first, seemingly discordant and a frightful cacophony, but - like a good Grateful Dead "Space" segment - intense scrutiny and repeated listening yielded subtle patterns of conversational genius (albethem scripted) between instruments (incidentally, this is a '74 HVK-led performance...I swear, the bold similarities b/w he, Walter, and Furtwangler are stunning and gratifying)./K

13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Yes, thay are. Same set

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I got mine [for about the same price] from Amazon when it was introduced as the third version of Brilliant Beethoven Box.

15. John S

John S Forum Resident

All physical media are passé. Magazines are passé. Hell, I'm passé. All I can say is I've gotten ten time's worth of enjoyment what I paid for that box (although I'm ashamed to admit a third of it remains unplayed).

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  16. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I'll rue the day when this becomes fact. I have no intention of replacing my LPs and CDs in my living room with a computer screen and some ear buds.

bluemooze and John S like this.
  17. John S

John S Forum Resident

Mozart for a cold Sunday morning....

[​IMG]
    MozartHaffner.jpg

PH416156 likes this.
  18. John S

John S Forum Resident

Yes, and a belated thanks to whoever alerted us to this deal. :thumbsup:

Robin L likes this.
  19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I can't even remember what it is I came here to get away from . . .

It was worth it just for the Guarneri Quartet remakes of the Late Quartets. Their overall sound is very late Romantic, echos of Brahms and Reger.

20. coopmv

I generally avoid buying a big box on a single (significant) composer since it invariably leaves out some works. For Beethoven, I buy what I feel is needed to build out a complete collection. While my collection is heavily geared toward the symphonies and piano sonatas, I have beefed up the chamber music area, i.e. the string quartets over the past few years.

21. coopmv

As long as we have working playback equipments, the day of 100% download or streaming should be non-event to us.

sgb likes this.
  22. John S

John S Forum Resident

I agree, but it will be a different world regarding music delivery and enjoyment long after we're gone.

23. coopmv

Perhaps. But I will not be surprised if there will still be folks spinning their turntables somewhere. After all, turntables appear to have much better longevity than CDP's ...

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Here Here!

There's something downright occult about resurrecting vibrant musical performances from 60 year old slabs of vinyl.

25. coopmv

While my CD collection has surpassed my vinyl collection two years ago, I still have some 4000 LP's and my Thorens and Dual ready for action. A friend of mine has been trying to repair his second generation Yamaha CDP (circa 1983) for the past five years. I was able to locate the replacement laser at a store in Germany for him a few weeks ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.