Poll: Sgt pepper mono vs stereo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Meddle, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meddle

Meddle Forum Resident Thread Starter

I like the mono like most of you! But how many of you like the stereo?

DK Pete and john morris like this.
  2. Naked 9

Naked 9 Well-Known Member

Mono rules...
    But, we do find some others "colors" with the stereo.
    Forever Magic, anyway...

3. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Mono but prefer "Kite", "Within You" and "A Day In The Life" in stereo.

Shak Cohen, SuntoryTime, 2141 and 4 others like this.
  4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Mono! It's the only version I will play.

5. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Overall, the stereo sounds better to me. However, I prefer the mono "She's Leaving Home."

I especially dislike the crappy "phased" sound of L.S.D. in mono.

6. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I grew up with the stereo.

RickH, Dodoz, DaveJ and 6 others like this.
  7. helter

helter Forum Resident

Both option ?

8. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Nope. Pick one.

9. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

No contest...mono.

10. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

That's one of the highlights of the mono for me! It makes the song sound more psychedelic. The chorus sounds too abrupt and pedestrian in stereo to me.

I like both, although the mono probably more.

11. scrutz

scrutz Member

I bought both mono and stereo copies upon their US release in June 1967. From the outset, I preferred the mono, as there were vexing issues with the stereo mix (e.g. diminishing Paul's count at the start of the reprise of "SPLHCB") and the well documented and obvious speed problem heard on the stereo "She's Leaving Home." But the mono lacks some of the fun found at points in the stereo version (e.g. the audio movement on side 2, particular from "Good Morning, Good Morning" through "A Day in the Life"). When I played my mono copy to death it took me years to find another suitable copy. And although analog vinyl is first and final thank goodness for Doc and, eventually, the mono box. Which reminds me: where the devil are the mono LPs that were supposedly set for release in 2013? Shelved by Universal when they took over Capitol/EMI?

12. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Completely agree. It's what makes it the sleepy, lysergic anthem that is is.

zobalob likes this.
  13. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

Ditto.

14. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

By the time I was old enough to buy my own records, mono versions were just deleted from the catalog and even if a mono was available I would have passed it up (I passed up a mono "Beatles '65" in a cutout bin). It would be many years before I would even learn that there was a difference. I presumed both mixes were done at the same time or the mono being a "fold down" of the stereo mix (silly me).

I would like to buy the mono Peppers from the 2009 remasters, but I don't want to have to buy their entire catalog just to get the two or three unique mono albums. (Yes I know that differences abound on all the other albums, but only Peppers and The White Album contain enough differences that interest me enough to buy the CD).

APH likes this.
  15. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I like both, but prefer the mono.

Growing up, the stereo version was all that was available in the 80's. Once I heard the mono, I thought it was great. I was glad the 2009 Mono Box allowed me to own a copy.

The only song I really prefer in stereo is "Good Morning, Good Morning", but a lot of that has to do with the sound effects.

Grant likes this.
  16. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

No real need to have both versions-simply throw a fairly thick blanket over your speakers to get the mono effect while playing the stereo edition. :hide:

17. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I grew up with the stereo, and I was always impressed by how the stereo mix was clearly more adventurous and more balanced than the earlier stereo Beatles LPs - however, when I did finally get a decent mono copy, I definitely thought it rocked so much more - the guitar was much raunchier in the title track especially, and you get that great bit of guitar behind Paul's last verse mixed far more forward in the mix. Also the reprise of the title track, - the mono beats the stereo hands down. I love the precision and clarity of the stereo mix, but the mono mix, especially played on my 1965 valve record player - just completely rocks out.

Rickchick and fr in sc like this.
  18. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

No contest....I love them both the same.

19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You think the mono mix is dull???

zobalob likes this.
  20. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Don't dislike the stereo, but the mono has a very large pair of testicles.

21. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I can't vote, as I like and dislike aspects of the mono. I appreciate that the mono mix was the one worked on the most and stamped with approval by the Beatles. What I like the most about it is the crazy extra sounds in the Sgt. Pepper reprise, but what I dislike the most comes a few seconds earlier, the more awkward (to me) chicken clucking transition from Good Morning, Good Morning to the reprise. I like the stereo for its clarity, but the mono does have more punch.

22. 905

905 Senior Member

Pepper and White Album are the two that I definitely prefer in stereo. The other albums I have to go song by song for a preference.

23. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Mono....but stereo is great too.

+1 with She's Leaving Home mono.

Slowhead likes this.
  24. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

I prefer mono like most all of you (my Australian copy is in awesome shape and sounds wonderful) but don't mind the stereo version except in a few places.

Bobby Sutliff

25. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

That may be true for a Canadian Capitol mono pressing I had, but not for the UK vinyl or 2009 CD.

kevinsinnott and Drifter like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.