Nat "King" Cole - All-Purpose Thread (was "year by year") - Part 5*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

Thanks for these insights, everyone. I don't have that set, great suggestion: already love the Lester Young recordings, This Will Make You Laugh, and others included there.

I'll listen to the LP again at some point, and try to sort it out further... It might be clear if (or when) it's Irving Ashby instead of Oscar Moore.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

What can y'all tell me about the "Vocal Classics" LP by the trio? I picked up a copy and am playing it now, and it seems to have two characteristics:

•Small amount of reverb added, at least on some tracks
    •Very nice tone and overall smoothness --- surprisingly good, considering the vintage of the source material, and no "muffled" quality like on some releases

cfcd1d6d-5f2a-492d-96f4-eba22ee46fe8-0shtv.jpg
    Mine, though, is a 12" Japanese pressing made from Scranton "D" parts.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I saw my first Nat King Cole CD with the Universal Music logo on it at Silver Platter in Bellevue, WA, on Monday night. It was part of the ICON series. The dawn of a new era....

4. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

A pretty lame issue. Have you seen how many artists are represented in the ICON series?

5. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I think my next door neighbor has a disc in the ICON series. Didn't think her yard-work singing was that great...

6. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Happy new year, folks. Still listening to the wonderful records of NKC in 2014.

7. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

coleman, howlinrock and kennyluc1 like this.
  8. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

wildroot indigo,
    It is in the realm of possibility that the Trio played in New Orleans at Frank Painia’s Dew Drop Inn in 1949. Klaus Teubig in his book mentions “a 40-city tour of the south”. The itinerary is not known, but from press mentions in Teubig, the Trio was in Atlanta, Montgomery, Norfolk, Columbia, Greenville, Chattanooga, Memphis, Shreveport, Little Rock, and Hot Springs.

jtaylor likes this.
  9. dale 88

The remaining Cole 'kids', Casey, Natalie & Timolin

[​IMG]

I believe this was taken awhile back - at a benefit.

10. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

Excellent, thanks... Forty cities would leave many unaccounted for (and the Shreveport reference places the band in Louisiana).

I've just listened again to the 'Intimate' LP, and it does seem that some tracks are rare, with others from different shows: Bugle Call Rag and Tea For Two likely the 1944 Jazz At The Philharmonic concert, as jtaylor suggested.

The Jazz Discography by Tom Lord lists It's Only A Paper Moon at Bop City ("Bob City") in 1949, along with the titles you mentioned previously. Track times on the LP label are: Paper Moon (1:57), Yes Sir, That's My Baby (1:52), Don't Cry, Cry Baby (3:24), and Body And Soul (3:56, contains a cut/edit). The guitarist sounds like Irving Ashby--audio also seems consistent between these tracks--and I hear percussion on Yes Sir, That's My Baby.

So that leaves these mystery performances (and a few impressions):

The Trouble With Me Is You (4:12) - a very professional-sounding recording, uncommonly high quality: there's a bit of audience noise and room ambiance. The guitarist sounds like Oscar Moore to me, but I'm not sure.

Sweet Georgia Brown (2:23) - almost certainly includes Moore, incredible interplay between guitar and piano: I haven't yet heard the Circle Room version.

Sweet Lorraine (2:35) - same kind of ambiance and fidelity as "The Trouble With Me" but with minimal guitar: the applause seems sudden at the end.

On The Sunny Side Of The Street (2:48) - a group or duet vocal, during which Nat briefly scats the William Tell Overture... the applause sounds like a studio audience.

Miss Thing (2:02) - further amazing guitar/piano work, with "London Bridge Is Falling Down" quoted, and multiple breaks (by which I mean the group stops playing momentarily): there's no discernible crowd noise.

Satchel Mouth Baby (3:22) - group or duet vocal, natural-sounding audience/room tone, it seems like a club. Mary Lou Williams wrote this, and first recorded it in 1944; Nat has a version from 1945 (on CD Straighten Up And Fly Right), but I'm almost sure this one's different.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  11. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Wow just Wow!

Those twins are especially gorgeous :love: Cold shower time for me I need to get rid of these thoughts in my head.

12. dale 88

The vocal group backing Nat on many of the Havana Cole Espanol tracks was the Facundo Rivero Four or as Alan Dell called them: the Rivero Quartet.

Here is a photo of the Rivero Quartet
    [​IMG]

13. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

And WOW....:)

hodgo likes this.
  14. dale 88

A couple more photos of Nat in Havana, Cuba have turned up. Nat is visiting a Cuban record store.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ? I think this would be 1958.

15. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Love that coat.

16. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Was rooting around in my computer and found these screen grabs of Nat in "Cat Ballou." I think I grabbed these from the DVD at a time when I was creating sort of a video medley/montage of all of Nat's performances in the movie. It's pretty good movie ... and Nat steals the show.

Cat5.JPG
    Cat0.JPG
    Cat2.JPG

Library Eye and hodgo like this.
  17. Clark V Kauffman

A few more screen grabs...

Cat3.JPG
    Cat4.JPG
    Cat1.JPG

hodgo likes this.
  18. Clark V Kauffman

And here are some screen grabs from the DVD compilation of performances from Nat's TV show...

NKCShow-5.JPG
    NKCShow-6.JPG
    NKCShow-7.JPG
    NKCShow-9.JPG

hodgo, apileocole, jtaylor and 2 others like this.
  19. Clark V Kauffman

Maybe this has been discussed and I missed it, but what is this new CD? The audio from the TV special, or an actual concert? It has a release date of Feb. 18.

image.jpg

kennyluc1 likes this.
  20. Clark V Kauffman

Answering my own question here.
    This is the product description:

A rare chance to hear Nat King Cole in concert. For this 1963 Tokyo show he was backed by his own small combo and a local orchestra led by Nabuo Hara. The programme includes his only known live performances of four songs from his Spanish albums plus versions of "Autumn Leaves" and "Love Is a Many Splendoured Thing" sung in Japanese. Coupled with a similar show recorded in London with the Ted Heath big band.

Track Listings
    1. A Lovely Way To Spend An Evening [Theme] 1:11

2. And The Angels Sing 1:36

3. Stardust 4:25

4. Ballerina 2:02

5. Unforgettable 2:14

6. The Way You Look Tonight 3:32

7. Acércate Más 2:29

8. El Bodeguero 2:34

9. Too Young 2:31

10. Cachito 2:05

11. Quizás, Quizás, Quizás 3:15

12. Autumn Leaves 3:06

13. It s Only A Paper Moon 5:36

14. Honeysuckle Rose 2:31

15. Ramblin Rose 2:56

16. Love Is A Many Splendored Thing 4:54

17. Closing Announcements / A Lovely Way To Spend An Evening [Theme] 0:45

18. A Lovely Way To Spend An Evening [Theme] Into Aren t You Glad You re You 2:23

19. Unforgettable 3:05

20. Day In, Day Out 1:45

21. Here s That Rainy Day 2:45

22. But Beautiful 3:05

23. The Way You Look Tonight 3:48

24. When I Fall In Love 3:12

25. It s Only A Paper Moon 5:07

26. Sweet Lorraine 2:25

27. Let There Be Love 3:07
    Product Details
    Label:
    In Crowd
    ASIN:
    B00HWCCMJ

21. dale 88

Nice screen grabs, Clark.

For the new "live" CD, they have taken the Japanese CD issued in 2013--Nat King Cole Live at the New Latin Quarter, and reissued it along with some songs from a London show with Ted Heath. The Ted Heath recordings are new to CD aren't they? Would this be from Nat's British tour of 1963?

22. Clark V Kauffman

Yeah but now I see that the Ted Heath tracks are just the soundtrack from the BBC TV show he did, which we all have on DVD. Too bad.

Beaneydave likes this.
  23. dale 88

Nat was in England for several shows I think. Could these songs be from a different live performance?

24. dale 88

Just now, I won or rather I was the only bidder on a nice collection of Nat King Cole singles. This was the main description -- obviously they should have typed CAPITOL. Ah, the smell of leatherette:D

Nat King Cole lot of 28 Columbia 45 rpm In VG+ to NM condition In two mini album

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hodgo and apileocole like this.
  25. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Very cool. What's included? What's written/printed on the sheet on the inside cover. It's a little too blurry for me to make out. Release info?

A little while ago I picked up a 45 of Miss Me in great condition. Will be nice finally to be able to replace the overdubbed version.

apileocole likes this.