Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #52)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Now listening to this old Philips CD: Concertgebouw and Isabelle Van Keulen perform Mozart's Violin Concertos # 3 and #5. While not in the league of Mr. Gramiaux, I'd say in this 90s recordings Van Keulen is competent enough and I am really enjoying this disc. Sound is top notch.

[​IMG]

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I only added this CD to my classical music collection over the last two years ...

3. coopmv

Now playing the following SACD, which just arrived earlier today on my universal player for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

4. coopmv

Not sure if it is just me, while I enjoyed the pieces by Dvorak, the piece by Szymonowski was not so agreeable. Steinbacher appears to be a pretty good violinist ...

5. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I may have fortuitously made better choices than you, because for a good well-mastered recording SACD sounds very very good. There are bad sounding recordings in all formats, which usually has nothing to do with the format itself. But there's little doubt that Sony had a very poor marketing strategy for SACD, then quickly gave up on it when it wasn't an immediate huge hit commercially.

6. coopmv

:agree:

7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

004.JPG
    Good Brahms from Jochum & the LPO. recorded 1976 in Kingway Hall by producer Christopher Bishop & engineer Christopher Parker.

Urban Spaceman likes this.
  8. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Johann Sebastian Bach – Partita No.4 BWV828, Suite in A min. BWVV818
    William Kapell (RCA Red Seal – Sony Classical)

9. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Now Listening To

Shostakovich. Symphony 13 Babi Yar. Kondrashin, Eizen, Moscow PO. UK EMI.

Kondrashin also did another recording of the Babi Yar with Shirley Quirk on the Philips label.

shost13.jpg

Urban Spaceman likes this.
  10. sgb

sgb Senior Member

All of this is true, but surely you must know that ALL NEW SACDs are recorded as PCM, and, thus, not really SACDs after all. This was considered sacrilege in the early days of the format and shunned by collectors then such as myself. Now that's all there is. I have purchased almost 100 SACDs over the past year, most of them on the recommendation of posters to this site and to SA-CD.net, but few of them would I even dare recommend on the basis of the sound on them. Where I have recommended some of them, it is on the strength of their performances. If you have your collection of SACDs online, I would really like to see how your fortuitous/sagacious selection differs from my own. I am listing the link to my own so that you can tell me where I went wrong. I have to tell you that most of my close audiophile friends believe that I am overly critical about recording techniques and the products that come from those endeavors. It would seem that my standards are too high.

You can see my library here: http://www.sa-cd.net/library/37/1

11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I that that UME records as PCM, but I do not believe that is true for all smaller companies. Channel Classics boasts of its Grimm Audio ADC which records as DSD. I would be surprised if it was alone in this regard.

12. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Check it out at SA-CD.net, JG.

13. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Lots of new SACD's are from DSD masters, although to be fair many are DSD transfers from older analog recordings that have already had final mastering done in the analog domain. It's not easy doing mastering work in pure DSD, although lately it has become more so. But it is also true that many companies, even smaller ones like 2L and Reference, both notable for good sound quality, record only in PCM even for their SACD releases.

my list isn't online or even separated out for SACD (although I could sort it that way fairly easily, I think) but I'll try to take a look at yours.

14. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Actually, recordings beginning life as DSD from scratch are impossible as the equipment isn't even available. This has been documented at SA-CD.net.

Sorry I don't get to see your library, but at least you can look at mine and suggest the RECENT RELEASES I may have that might sound good. I will tell you that the TWO WORST sounding SACDs I have bought are these, please don't tell me you consider either of these even acceptable sounding...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. john greenwood

16. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I have to leave, JG, but the Linn is mixed and mastered DSD which is possible, but not necessarily recorded as such. The few Channel Classic s I checked were a decade old, and would have been DSD for sure. The way I understand it, Sony reclaimed their recording stuff.

17. john greenwood

I'll rely more on this.

http://www.grimmaudio.com/site/assets/files/1079/manual_ad1.pdf

18. john greenwood

Channel Classics boasts of its DSD recordings through the most recent. See e.g.

http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/8994

Recorded in 2013

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  19. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Think I'll look for the companion volume with the remaining violin concertos. Amazon.com should have used copies.

20. John S

John S Forum Resident

Interesting. My first question is whether the PCM conversion is always done at 352.8/32 (!) when DSD recordings are edited.

EDIT: Please click on the above quote box for the full quote.

21. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying some more Beethoven from Ernst Levy.

22. john greenwood

Channel Classics uses the Pyramix Workstation for editing, and it appears that the Pyramix currently uses 352.8/32 (replacing 352.8/24). Channel Classics is clearly very proud of its recording technologies.

John S likes this.
  23. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

There are definitely A>D DSD convertors around, the Grimm is just one. Tascam recently released a consumer model for under $1000, and there's a (relatively) new pro one that does 4x (i.e., 11.2 MHz).

according to engineers who use it daily, the Pyramix actually works at 24/352.8 (also called DXD) in terms of its input, although like almost any DAW once into the computer processing is done with 32 bits.

24. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

25. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

the LSO Live recordings are mostly done at 24/48 PCM, so they wouldn't be my choice for the best sounding around. I haven't heard either of those two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.