Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'd never heard of Luther until this this thread. It's also on Netflix so I'd thought I'd check it out. It's pretty good, but I'm not going to stick with it. The lead actor has charisma, although he's a bit of a scene chewer. But I watched three episodes and the show is just a little too unrealistic for me. I suppose Luther is supposed to be a brilliant cop, but he's always rushing off because -- ala Encyclopedia Brown -- he alone has seized on the (often somewhat gimicky) mystery clue. Then there's the introduction of the super-intelligent psychotic red-head (female) villain who wants to befriend him. It's just skewed a little too high on the implausible side for me. More of an X-files feel than NYPD Blue. It wants to be weighty and hard-hitting but there's a comic book sensibility hidden in there that tips the boat the wrong way. I don't know. Maybe I should get stoned and watch a few more episodes. I think that would help.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    alexpop likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Mad Men's still current. :)

3. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

A shout out for 'The Shield' which hasn't been mentioned yet. Not quite up to Deadwood, Sopranos, Wire standard, but still pretty darn excellent drama.

4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Agreed. It's right up there with the best of the best, IMHO. My wife and I were just commenting on how much we enjoyed Walton Goggins in The Shield, and now on Justified. He's a huge reason both shows are so good.

alexpop, thematinggame and Six String like this.
  5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Trust no one.

6. alexpop

Trust your instinct.

7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Dexter first 2 seasons is a must see....

thematinggame and alexpop like this.
  8. alexpop

How's Hell On Wheels compare with Deadwood ?

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

It's a bit more formulaic and flows a bit better.

alexpop likes this.
  10. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

DEXTER and SOUTHLAND are must-see-TV IMO

SOUTHLAND for me was on par with The Wire after a bit of a rocky start. And did anybody mention THE SHIELD yet ?

DAMAGES didn't do much for me, but I really loved THE CLOSER, because of the quirkiness of the characters/actors -

Hell on wheels is good, but came after Deadwood which was groundbreaking in a way.

My all time underdog champion TV series is DOLLHOUSE - I somehow really came to love this series, but HATE the stupidity that is FIREFLY. Go figure.

Important : Are you able to watch those shows in the original language ? I do because the german version is often truly horrible and would totally ruin some shows for me ...................................

alexpop likes this.
  11. alexpop

Hate euro dubbing out of sync mouthing + your only getting half of the actors persona. If someone doesn't understand the language of the country then subtitles should suffice.

Scott222C likes this.
  12. alexpop

Wanted to get Magic City but there is no R2. Not that great anyway,but. :)

13. Scott222C

Magic City is just so-so, but the new series "MOB CITY" is much better I think - a bit more "cardboard" and less navel-gazing than "BOARDWALK EMPIRE", but great actors IMO and a different colorfull and very "cool" vibe .............................. especially that "Bugsy" character steals every scene ....... and another great actor from a very good show is on board - Theodore Bagwell from "PRISON BREAK" another not so bad show for the first seasons IMO ................................. and another one from one of my favorite shows "THE WALKING DEAD"

If you want to have a good laugh apart from all those rather depressing series - check out the two seasons of "REAPER" - it was a hilarious show and vastly underrated !!! That is a real "Cult show" IMO

alexpop likes this.
  14. Lonson

You should at least watch the two episodes with the twins!

alexpop likes this.
  15. Lonson

I'm the exact opposite, loved Firefly. Wanted to love Dollhouse but its stupid dialog and wooden acting just ruins it for me. Watched both seasons at least twice, I'm afraid.

16. alexpop

Wow ! You guys in the U. S. get all the cool stuff.

17. Scott222C

I understand, but DOLLHOUSE just turned out to take me to places I really wasn't prepared to be taken, apart from sometimes silly dialog and sub par acting - whereas I was bored by FIREFLYs concept from the start because it was one cliche after another for me , rebels, bounty hunters, bla bla - a bit Star Wars, a bit Babylon 5, a bit Star Trek, but it didn't go anywhere interesting for me and I hated almost all the actors with a passion .......... different strokes

18. Scott222C

Ich bin aus Österreich, mein Freund !

alexpop likes this.
  19. Scott222C

But you are right, it is baffling that there are almost no good series from Germany anymore - There was "Berlin, Alexanderplatz" , and those good series with Mario Adorf as an "Kaufhausbesitzer" or "Der Seewolf" with Raimund Harmsdorf - those were very good - but nothing worthwhile for seemingly forever now .......

alexpop likes this.
  20. alexpop

Das ist toll! But is expensive ... Consumers goods.:)

21. Lonson

Oh definitely different strokes. See, I liked the actors in Firefly and felt that most were actually good actors. And here is the one series that Whedon's "team dialog" and story building WORKS for me, it doesn't on Buffy, Angel and Dollhouse (or foar that matter S.H.I.E.L.D.) To me Dollhouse (from my reading of science fiction) was EQUALLY cliche in ideas and storyline, and on top of that the acting was bad from many of the actors, and the scripting just didn't do it for me.

I so wanted to like Dollhouse.

22. alexpop

Kunst. Intellectual property cinema ( with the exception)been dead in Germany for 30 years. Car industry thriving mind. :)

23. Scott222C

I only watched trailers during NFL matches for "Almost Human" but to me it looks awfully stupid - did you see that show too and what do you think about it ?

I think I could like "HELIX" three episodes in - also a new show

24. Scott222C

You are right. Big BMW Motorenwerk in my city though - very good for the economy - so I get my "Kunst Fix" from overseas ;)

alexpop likes this.
  25. alexpop

Ditto.