"The Curse Of Oak Island" on The History Channel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by xdawg, Jan 20, 2014.

1. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves Thread Starter

Has anyone else been watching this show on Sunday nights? If so, what are your thoughts on the show or the mysteries surrounding Oak Island? I've been fascinated by the story of Oak Island in Nova Scotia for years and this, for me, has been an extremely informative and fun show to watch so far.

The first 3 episodes are on the History Channel website
    Curse Of Oak Island

More info on Oak Island (aka The Money Pit)

superstar19 and xilef regnu like this.
  2. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I turned by it and only lingered on it for awhile, so I don't have much of an opinion.

While the backstory is interesting, over time I've gravitated to the point of view that it's just a naturally formed sinkhole, and that anything further is a combination of either wishful thinking on the part of some, or attempts by others to gin up hype for a nonexistent treasure to serve their own ends.

3. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

There may or may not be treasure on Oak Island but the original well had a barrier every 10 feet down and multiple disguised drainage pits with diagonal tunnels to the well, excavated on surrounding beaches to flood and protect the well from intruders; an amazing feat of engineering, then or now.

The flood tunnels origin was discovered after one of the original explorers noticed that the water level in the flooded well rose and fell with the tide.

As the result of endless treasure hunts, the exact location of the original well is uncertain now, the landscape having been so significantly altered.

I expect them to find nothing beyond a TV audience interested in unsolved mysteries, this truly being one.

4. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

You need to read the wiki (and the accompanying links) regarding the natural sinkhole theory, as there are explanations for the layers of the wood and the supposed flood tunnels that apparently have nothing to do with any treasure, or any attempts to hide any treasure.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    chilinvilin and Fullbug like this.
  5. xdawg

I would like for it to be proven or disproven at some point. Hopefully these guys working the island this time can get evidence of whether or not there is (or ever was) something there. The coconut fiber they found in episode two was pretty amazing. It was carbon dated back 400 to 600 years ago.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  6. xdawg

Probably so, but it is still fun to speculate. I'm not too jaded yet. :cool:

russk and erniebert like this.
  7. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Unfortunately, I am.

:(

Dennis Metz, chilinvilin and Fullbug like this.
  8. xdawg

:shake: :cheers:

9. Haven't seen this show, but I've known a bit about the supposed Oak Island treasure since I was a kid. At first I was naturally intrigued by this mysterious feat of engineering, but over time I'm more disposed to believe that the "money pit" is but a natural sinkhole of some sort hyped up by wishful thinking and misinterpretation.

10. xdawg

Most of these types of shows are all BANG, but no BUCK - and in the long run, that's about what I expect in the end (but hoping I am wrong). The engineering jobs the Lagina's are doing and arranging are interesting enough to me in their own right. Next week they will have drained a swamp to see what's at the bottom - that's cool to me. The first 3 episodes have had a nice balance between science, history, mysticism & folklore. Maybe I'm the only one that likes it, but like it I do! :wave:

Rocketstail and Wondering like this.
  11. The Wanderer

I suggest you read the historical accounts of those who were there and explored and made the initial well-documented discoveries.

kevintomb and erniebert like this.
  12. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

As a Canadian....I'm embarrassed to say that I had never even heard of Oak Island
    until I read that incredible feature a few years back in Rolling Stone(!). I'm amazed
    that no one has made a movie about the mystery of Oak Island.....

xdawg likes this.
  13. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Sounds like another one of those History Channel shows where people never find what they are searching for week after week. It's always 'maybe', 'might have' and 'anyone who knows is dead'.

Boswell, Malina, supermd and 4 others like this.
  14. The Wanderer

Exactly.

They don't even know the location of the 'Pit' anymore, which is why they've decided to drain-the-swamp, otherwise, we'd just be watching them discussing the 'mystery' over coffee in the local diner.

15. sugarbuzz

sugarbuzz Forum Resident

The Oak Island Mystery is fascinating, and great Canadian tale (check out the story of Brother XII on the West Coast for more Canadian weirdness). Unfortunately this series is just that - a "series". Like a lot of reality/non-scripted shows, they have to create drama to stretch the story out over a season. I've enjoyed the first 2 episodes so far, but have a feeling my patience may be tested over the next few weeks. A nice 2hr documentary covering the history, and this new dig would be more satisfying.

ps. I'm leaning towards the natural sinkhole theory as well!

xdawg likes this.
  16. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I grew up in Nova Scotia. Everyone go visit now. :)

xdawg likes this.
  17. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Read more and you'll find that it wasn't so well documented after all. For example, the wood platforms every ten feet? They are now being called into question.

chilinvilin likes this.
  18. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Watched 10 minutes and I'm ready to bail. They just accept all the legend as fact even the parts that have been debunked .

For example there are no bobby traps, the island is natural limestone and water just comes in from everywhere. Woods Hole Oceanographic was there a decade go and did all kinds of tests debunking this stuff.

Of course this show will never mention this. Not a fan of shows that leave out an entire opposing side of the story.

This whole thing started because some kids found a depression under a tree and started digging mistaking natural formations for evidence of pirates.

The idea that someone somehow dug to a depth that modern equipment can not 300 years ago is laughable.

19. BNell

BNell Forum Resident

If you like this show, which I have not seen yet, you should read RIPTIDE by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child. It's a decent novel (at least the first 2/3 of it, as I recall) that's based on this legend.

head_unit and xdawg like this.
  20. xdawg

Yes, I read that book (I have read ALL their books)!

21. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

How do aliens fit in?

Have they "decoded" anything yet.

Just my expectations of today's History Channel programming.

22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Watching , pretty cool / interesting

xdawg likes this.
  23. xdawg

Hey! I like aliens! There are several aliens that they interview every week!

Seriously, it's just entertainment. I don't care if they conclude that there never was anything on Oak Island - I enjoy the show.

24. BNell

BNell Forum Resident

I've read about half of their books - about to start White Fire

xdawg likes this.
  25. The Wanderer

Whatever is the truth, this series will end without having answered any questions.