Dave Brubeck 'Time Out' LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by James Glennon, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member Thread Starter

Just wondering do forum members have a preference for the stereo Time Out or the mono Time Out?

I heard a mono version for the first time over the weekend and was blown away by it! Opinions please!

JG

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I like them both equally. Different listening experiences.

Lewisboogie and juanmanuel like this.
  3. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Preferred the stereo version .
    Was never a fan of mono .

4. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

A 6 eye stereo is pretty darn good - the mono is IMO just as good but a different listening experience. The original 45 of Take Five is also worth seeking out - completely different recording - shorter, different drum solo.

Lewisboogie and PhilBiker like this.
  5. James Glennon

As posters have pointed out it is a different listening experience! That is exactly how I felt when I heard the mono for the first time at the weekend. For me it had much more impact and life to it. Didn't hear a comparison with the stereo, but it stirred my interest in buying a mono copy.

JG

Daniel Thomas likes this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The mono mix is the superior mix for this lp imo.

7. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I have and enjoy both. The great thing about the old Brubeck quartet is that they were recorded so well, you really can't go wrong with any of the old pressings.

Lewisboogie, panasoffkee and Easy-E like this.
  8. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I love my stereo 6eye copy with great bass drum sound.

9. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

I wholeheartedly agree - you cant go wrong with Columbias - the mono and stereo 6 eyes are around - I even got a white label mono a while back for only about 30 bucks.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Like many LPs of the time the mono mix has more punch with the drums centered, but the stereo is good if you want to follow what individual players are doing.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  11. Skibum00

Skibum00 Forum Resident

I have to go with the stereo recording, that little drum breakdown in Take Five sounds so real to me in stereo.

12. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Yeah!! The way the bass drum drum comes out of the other speaker - gets me every time. I must have listened to Take Five a thousand times and I still get caught out when it happens!!

Lewisboogie and Skibum00 like this.
  13. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

It's a superior take IMO. The drum solo is nice but it's excessive in the LP version. Again, IMO. The 45 version is well presented on the "Best of Ken Burns Jazz" compilation.

To stay on topic, I've never heard the mono version, but my stereo six-eye original cover copy sounds pretty damn amazing to my ears. Here's a little sample: Dave Brubeck Quartet: "Blue Rondo"

14. action pact

This may be heretical to say, but I find Morello's drum solo on the album version a bit clumsy and not all that impressive. Granted, 5/4 time isn't the easiest time signature to do a drum solo in.

john lennonist likes this.
  15. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I prefer the mono. The drums sound a lot better, the ambience around the piano is more realistic. I have both a 6-eye and a 2-eye copy and the 6-eye is clearer, particularly the cymbals.

Most Brubeck albums sound better in mono to me. I think the engineers really knew what they were doing when mixing to that format.

Fender Relic, PhilBiker and 1970 like this.
  16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Brubeck has commented a few times about how it was a virtuoso piece at the time whereas now high school bands play it.

Skibum00 likes this.
  17. action pact

Yeah, I know it's legendary and all, but it just sounds kinda clumsy to me. That didn't stop me from shelling out $50 for the Analogue Productions 45 set though!

Lewisboogie and PhilBiker like this.
  18. action pact

Interesting comment. I have early 6-eye mono and stereo pressings, and while I like the powerful coherency of the mono version, the cymbals sound very splattery to me.

19. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I just one a bid $32.99 on the Classic stereo version that is OOP. I read positive reviews on here so took the plunge at this price.

Lownote30 likes this.
  20. James Glennon

That was exactly my listening experience!

JG

21. jazdoc

jazdoc Forum Resident

I slightly prefer the mono 6 eye over the 6 eye stereo. I have the Classic Records 200 gm 45 rpm single sided reissue. All of them sound different. The drums and bass on the mono are slightly better than stereo versions.

22. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I like the mono and stereo equally and could easily live with just one version. But if I had to choose, I'd go stereo.

For those of you grabbing an LP copy, don't eschew the old "two-eye" LPs. Great sound on the "two-eye."

23. action pact

Heck, the $6 Legacy CD sounds spectacular, especially if your CD player can do HDCD.

PhilBiker likes this.
  24. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

They used the same master for the "Original Album Classics" version (I assume so - it lights up the "HDCD" light on my player) - even cheaper and also sounds spectacular. Strange that they got the label wrong on the Legacy issue; I thought they were going for authenticity with those. The Legacy re-issue also has the revised cover with "Featuring Take Five". The "Original Album Classics" version has a six-eye label (as they all do) and the original cover.

25. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I just finished reading the thread on Simon and Garfunkel,where almost everybody agrees the 45s and mono LPs are better than the stereo LPs.As a whole,when did the labels stop doing dedicated mono mixes,and switch to fold downs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.