Inside Llewyn Davis

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HiFi Guy 008, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I haven't seen the movie yet (though I really want to). But I get the feeling that this movie has more in common with A Serious Man than it does with O Brother (which to me is very good thing as I hated O Brother... one of the only Coen brothers films I find unwatchable).

It seems like it is the story of authenticity. Which was a very important part of the 'folk scene' at that time... and in fact was an important part of music making for a long time. The problem is 'what is authentic?' What is artistic?

A man without success is more likely to build a case over why others are successful and he is not. Especially when there is more than a grain of truth in it.

So is Lleywn 'a serious man' or is he not? Is he authentic or is he just as random and meaningless as everything else? Is talent enough or is luck just as important?

Those are the themes I expect to be explored in the movie. Not whether it is an accurate portrayal of 60s NYC or specific artists or anything else. The theme is sort of timeless and is maybe more interesting to those who create things and present them to others than those who don't maybe.

Again... I haven't seen the movie yet. But that doesn't stop me from writing paragraphs about it! :)

mikeyt, IronWaffle and Mazzy like this.
  2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Poor me, I have no heart. :cry:

BTW, how did you even get to see John Goodman and the unscrupulous label owner if you walked out after 40 minutes? :confused:

Mazzy likes this.
  3. So correct. And I LOVED A Serious Man. Ive watched it about 6 times and its gets better with each viewing. Maybe its the Jewish thing and age group which is so close to home. Plus I love the Jefferson Airplane which is used in a very interesting way. Sort of a plot twist. I guess. But I did like O Brother too. People who thought they would hear music for 90 minutes are disappointed. That this is not.

ampmods and IronWaffle like this.
  4. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

You just didn't "get it" and that's fine. I knew what I was going into (without spoilers) as I did my research and I know the history of that whole scene very well as I grew up with that music (my Dad was a 'folkie')
    If you didn't like it, that's fine with me, but I stand by what I said before (you have to have a sense of what that early 60's folk scene was like in NYC to really appreciate the film and it's just too deep for some)

somnar likes this.
  5. johnny 99

Wow, buddy you are so far off the mark it's not even funny.
    You really were out of your element here.
    Fine, if you didn't like it but man, you didn't get it pal...

Mazzy likes this.
  6. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident

Ok I went in to the film expecting to like it. I am a huge fan of the early folk scene (did you see the homage to John Hammond, Dylan's early producer? yeah, probably not, btw it was pretty lame but why wouldn't it be) and saw the actor guy with Jon Stewart and my interest was piqued. But I'm serious I hated it within seconds. Yes I made it through the John Goodman scenes so I have no idea if that's 40 minutes or not but it seemed like an eternity. As most of these threads go, we can agree to disagree. But I know I'm right. The spirit of Phil Ochs told me...maybe that's too deep for you...so there you go...pal.

7. johnny 99

Your post reeks of a condesending attitude.
    Assuming I didn't see the homage to John Hammond?; yes I did get it!
    I don't care that you didn't like the film; plenty of more informed opinions did.

somnar and Mazzy like this.
  8. It's totally allright that you hated it. Thats cool. But its not a fact that its a bad film. Heck I think Im the only one who hated Jaws when it came out but I'll never say its a horrible film. It just didn't move me. :tiphat:

somnar, mikeyt and IronWaffle like this.
  9. clashcityrocker

When they name the main character so they can get one joke out of it I say that's a lame movie.

10. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

The cat's a star, and I've only seen the trailer. Looks like mine.

Lightworker likes this.
  11. johnny 99

This guy is right out in left field...; I don't even know what the hell you mean by that line?
    Stop crapping in this thread.

somnar likes this.
  12. I don't get it either . But I was just smacked down fur sir of repeating my opinion. Over in the Beatles us box thread. Oh and I loved this film

13. johnny 99

It was an excellent film IMO and I just can't keep reading that dude's posts. They just sound like rants from a guy who didn't even see the whole movie, but fancies himself as some kind of Roger Ebert?

OK, ya didn't like it. Thanks.

mikeyt and Mazzy like this.
  14. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

I can understand how this movie isn't for everyone, but I really loved it, as did my 23 year old son.

somnar, Mazzy and mikeyt like this.
  15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I can see why some don't dig it but don't get why some keep saying L.D. was untalented. He sang beautifully. And the Coen's point (which admittedly offers diminished aesthetic gratification) is that the guy was talented in the wrong (quickly outdated) way. That is a bitter irony. Also, the mercenary scrambling for money behind the 'pure' folkie scene (unless you wanted to make a statement by starving). It's a tough minded movie that I respected maybe more than I enjoyed.

16. clashcityrocker

"What does the 'N' stand for" was the joke... not that funny IMO but was there any other reason they named him Llewyn. I just don't think so. Ok I'm done. My apologies for any thread crapping.

17. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Well, seeing this movie led me to finally checking this guy out:

[​IMG]

So I'm really glad I saw it and enjoyed it.

18. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

mikeyt likes this.
  19. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

THIS! times about a hundred billion zillion. You nailed it.

Gumboo likes this.
  20. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

My GF and her best friend saw it and hated it, but I want to see it when it comes out on BD. I've been fascinated with the Greenwich Village folk scene ever since I saw the off Broadway show that Dennie Doherty put on about the "Dream a Little Dream" about the Mamas and the Papas not long before he died. The story is quite interesting and can be seen here: http://www.dennydoherty.com/dream/index.html

21. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

Just saw it. Great film, in my opinion. Best one I've seen in the past year or so. The music was great (bought the soundtrack on vinyl) and I'm really impressed with Oscar's playing.

Will buy it when it comes to Blu-Ray.

somnar and Mazzy like this.
  22. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

To forewarn you, this movie is not about that folk scene or even that world, despite taking place during that period. It really just uses it as a backdrop for a story about a struggling artist trying to get his break, and it's a bit of an existential journey. Set your expectations accordingly.

23. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Thanks, I appreciate the warning. I will not expect a lot on the folk scene , but I love movies where NYC is the backdrop, and the story sounds interesting.

mikeyt likes this.
  24. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

This movie sure is polarising. Interesting.
    Absolutely. The scene when he sang his song about some Queen at the audition was the most moving moment in the film. The song was almost cheesy, but it created such a strong contrast to the way the character usually acted, as though he could only show his emotions through his songs.

25. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

BTW, the character's first name was chosen deliberately and carefully (think of his traveling companion and the key role he plays).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.