Many fans ignored that there was a poster inside the cover of "Abraxas" (Santana), in 1970, right?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParloFax, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParloFax

ParloFax Senior Member Thread Starter

I often find scratched old copies of this album, with its poster still minty and cleanly folded inside its own cover pocket. This was a very popular album, that poster looked really cool, and it was totally unseen for fans to NOT mount posters on their bedroom walls in those days...

Probably because of that "secret" cover pocket I guess. And lack of advertisement?...

Licorice pizza likes this.
  2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I have found minty and clean posters inside used copies of The Man Who Sold The World and Bookends. So I am thinking that there were plenty of fans back in the day who did NOT want to mount posters on their bedroom walls then.

alchemy and EasterEverywhere like this.
  3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I don't see many copies with the poster. I bought a cheap beatup copy with the poster and added the poster to my other, better copy that came without one.

4. ParloFax

Yes, I have exaggerated.

5. ParloFax

Perhaps this is a Canadian thing. Did the US version also had its separate pocket for the poster, like it was a double LP album? Do you remember if there was anything on the shrink wrap originally to advertise that there was a poster inside?

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes.

7. rsulzinger

rsulzinger Forum Resident

Well now I have to dig out my original copy. Boy will I feel stupid finding out I had a poster hidden for almost 44 years

8. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

US cover was gatefold,but not double pocket IIRC.My current copy is an orange label UK.

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It was a double pocket for at least the first year or two. The copy I bought new in the mid 80's was an ordinary gatefold.

10. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Same here. :laugh:

BeatleJWOL and ParloFax like this.
  11. Harold R

Harold R Forum Resident

I pretty much ignored all posters and inserts in albums around that time. I certainly wasn't hanging that stuff on the wall.

rockledge likes this.
  12. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Not even Donna Summer's free 1977 calendar? :p

13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Incidentally, Chicago V was also a double pocket gatefold single LP with a poster.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Three posters! I remember buying it and expecting it to be a double album because it was so heavy and it was Chicago.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  15. serge

serge Forum Resident

what? out of hundreds of copies i have only found one with a poster! it is never there!

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

My MFSL doesn't have a poster ! :laugh:

17. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

It's there. Open the cover at 1/2 speed.

18. Lpone

Lpone Forum Resident

Interesting, did you find one?

19. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I know what the poster looked like.Bought the record new as a kid,have to dig around to see if I have one.Maybe I stuck a US poster inside my UK cover,like I did with Let It Bleed.

20. asodoma

asodoma Senior Member

Are there 3 posters for the Chicago V album? I have 3 Chicago V's with 2 posters each, but I have this extra poster laying around that I've been trying to figure out what it's for, for a long time. It's got 7 guys in in front of a bunch of crosses in a graveyard, and they're dressed like soldiers. I tried matching their faces in this poster to the 2 in the Chicago V album, but they don't look like those guys, sort of!

21. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Same for me, I was never real big on having posters up. Something about having pictures of guys all over my walls just didn't really jive with me. I liked The Beatles but I didn't want them staring at me.

22. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I did have posters on the walls, but I was into the Pre-Raphaelites. The Tate Gallery has a wonderful collection.

23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

That was the Chicago III poster.

24. asodoma

asodoma Senior Member

Wow, you are so right. I just pulled out the III and there is that same poster. I'm not sure how I ended up with an extra! Thanks!

25. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Didn't Queen's JAZZ album have the nude bicycle race poster?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.