Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening" Thread Starter

I do not believe something like this exists, did several searches. If so please advise. Not sure how much of an audience there is for this but.......

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading and posting at the Jazz Beat and Prog playlist threads. It's great to not only connect with those with similar musical tastes but it's also educational, alerting you to something you were unaware of or reminding you of something in your collection that you have not listened to lately.

Sometimes though, you've got something on that just may not fit the bill, where the question of genre even escapes you: "Yeah, I guess that's not jazz", or maybe it's some far out rock that escapes definition.

So I'm hoping this to be a good parking space for playlists and comments for those avant, new music, contemporary classical, free improv artists or releases that don't fit into the other "spaces".

I'll get started with this, an Evan Parker project on ECM.
    EPB.jpg
    Lineup:
    Next Up:
    SYR.jpg

2. YES! great thread

3. AxiomAcoustics

See it's working already, checking out his website:righton:

Tim Bucknall and zphage like this.
  4. JazzLife

JazzLife Well-Known Member

Ah, so you have a new place to hang your hat :tiphat::laugh:.

Think this can be a pretty useful and interesting thread (that's why I didn't think of it:oops:). Anyway, I am a little stubborn about classifying such folks as Evan Parker, Derek Bailey, John Stevens, et al as not being jazz artists. So I might have to split some hairs on occasions. But a good place to post a lot of my listening, Thanks.

5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I don't know if it counts too much a jazz to fit the bill, but for the last couple of evenings I've been making my way through Aum Fidelity's great new 8-CD box set of William Parker live recordings from 2006-2012, Wood Flute Songs, which was released late last year. Just a treasure trove of great performances, especially from the awesome Rob Brown on alto, but that whole core quartet is just playing on an incredible level of communication.

6. AxiomAcoustics

We've got MANY hats to hang:cool: I figure "splitting hairs" is part of the fun, besides, Martin Davidson has "File Under New Music/Free Jazz" on his releases.

7. AxiomAcoustics

This is great stuff. It's out of stock at Amazon and I keep wanting to order directly from AUM but my Pay pal account is drained. :( It shall be on my shelves very soon.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  8. JazzLife

As long as Martin says so, I'll do it! :cool:

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  9. Scorch Trio - Kjøle Høle

with the great great Raoul Bjorkenheim

10. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Evan Parker at his best.

TS582, Reader and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  11. JazzLife

Was playing this a little while ago. I'll post it here (even though it could maybe go in the jazz thread):

[​IMG]

Vinny Golia - THE GIFT OF FURY - 9Winds LP. 1981.
    Golia (bcl, ss, ts, bari, bass and alto flutes, conch (!), John Rapson (tb), Wayne Peet (p), Roberto Miranda (b), Alex Cline (perc).

12. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I think zphage has started a similar thread or two himself. I can never decide what to add to these, though.

but here's something. Tae-Hwan Kang is a saxophonist from south korea for whom I have an enormous amount of respect and whose work means a great deal to me. I'm not sure I can say much more in words. he leaves me transfixed every time.

here he is performing a few months ago in seoul. youtube should suggest part 2 to you after part 1 finishes:

Kang Tae-Hwan: improvisation 7/14/13, seoul, south korea (part 1)

13. AxiomAcoustics

Don't forget the great great Paal Nilssen-Love!

14. AxiomAcoustics

Is a dual post verboten?

15. AxiomAcoustics

Amazing stuff, Parker's multiphonics with his own ethnic sensibilities and a great presentation aesthetic.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  16. JazzLife

Probably "just not done" and also I'm too lazy for that :cool:

17. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

I'm currently listening to this CD. Its a totally confusing mix of jazz and world music from so many perspectives (mostly of the eastern-something variety) it is pretty much beyond classification (except maybe improv world music)? Talented bunch of musicians! Cheers!
    A. tibecastan cd.jpg

hifisoup and zphage like this.
  18. AxiomAcoustics

Very cool. John Zorn's Masada material has a similar melding of jazz and middle eastern influences.

19. Isaac Peltz

Isaac Peltz New Member

These guys aren't technically jazz, but you can really feel the jazz influences in their music. They're quite good, but not too well known.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  20. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

I also recommend the William Parker Violin Trio record. Very cool...

21. not what you might expect:

22. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident