Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I could be remembering incorrectly--I think it would take a long time to go through all the long MM threads to find the original discussion. But it stuck in my mind to the point that I was prepared for it when I bought the album some months after its initial release. It is particularly unfortunate that it happened with what is otherwise probably my favorite MM reissue.

2. nesnith

nesnith Forum Resident

Since I just bought mine recently, let's see if I can exchange for a second time. Maybe the third one is a charm? I wonder how many of that album they have left in-stock.

3. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I just received Lee Morgans Sidewinder on MM. The the cover is pitiful. 2 albums in a thin cardboard sleeve for ~$100 when I can get the amazing Impex, MoFi or AP for far less. Definite complaint going in. (I'm talking UK here).

4. nesnith

nesnith Forum Resident

Wait a minute, Sidewinder from Music Matters? I know Sidewinder is coming out in the upcoming 33RPM series, but I don't think MM did a 45RPM version of this album. I think Analogue Productions did the 45RPM?

5. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

That's actually an Analogue Productions reissue. They were known for much lower quality jackets... at least I assume that's what it is.

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Lame cover, but the records sound awesome.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  7. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

They sent a letter to subscribers saying the 45 rpm's would end with these most recent ones. Those listed at Acoustic Sounds are not going to happen.

8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Why 100$?

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Wasnt aware of that list. Wonder if these will be done on the 33.3 RPMs?

10. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

I never received this letter - did you? Or anyone else?

11. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

@mpayan and spaulding - the 12 listed are going to be issued by MM on 33rpm. There is a lot of info in this thread you should look at because judging from your posts here it looks like you are somewhat confused. I posted a release schedule earlier in this thread (#620). Sidewinder will be done on 33rpm by MM on or about September 24, 2014.

Sidewinder was never issued by MM. It was issued by AP. This is the album (ST-84157) Davis Ellis received in post 651.

Hope this helps.

12. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Thanks Joel - I'm not confused about the 331/3 series, or the 45 series ending. I just never received a letter about the end of the 45rpm subscription, which for purposes of clarity would have been nice.

13. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

Strange indeed. As a subscriber you should have received the email…I would contact MM and check whether you are correctly listed in their mailing db.

14. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I did not receive it either.

15. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

So are some of the titles on the new MM series titles that were never issued by either MM or AP on 45?

16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I got the email from MM about the change and I'm not a subscriber although I usually buy them direct as they are closer to my house than most of the Internet stores and they pack them as well if not better than anyone else. It also builds a relationship with them and if I have a problem they can easily see that I'm a regular customer and take care of me.

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thanks Joel. Im aware of the 33.3 RPM release schedule. My question, well more of a wonderment or pondering, was if the 45s that are listed at Acoustic Sounds that were cancelled might get the 33.3 RPM release. Joe had *hinted* that some of the titles that didnt see release on 45 RPM, for whatever reason, would come out on 33.3RPM. I dont think anyone knows the answer to this, just me thinking out loud in type :).

18. nesnith

nesnith Forum Resident

Probably because OP is in the UK?

That's why I am holding out for the MM 33rpm release! I got AP's "Somethin' Else" and I wasn't impressed by the presentation.

GreatTone likes this.
  19. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

That's not a Music Matters. ALL Music Matters, whether 45 or 33 will be in gatefold laminated jackets. Sidewinder came out on Analogue Productions and their reissues were two LP's stuffed into a cheap cardboard jacket.

20. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

And having heard a test pressing of Something Else, let me say it is superb. You will not regret waiting on it.

21. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Got my shipping notification for the first set of 33 1/3 releases! Can't wait (as a new subscriber) :D

JMCIII likes this.
  22. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

All 12 tittles were released on either APO or MM.

The following titles were only done by AP (on 45rpm) ; Moanin', Somethin' Else, Blue Train, Midnight Blue, The Sidewinder, Idle Moments, Go! and Page One.

Cool Struttin', Undercurrent, True Blue and Soul Station were done by MM on 45rpm as well.

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  23. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

+1 Got my tracking number today for the first two LPs.

Sadly, I don't have my phono preamp at the moment.

24. Manelus

Manelus Forum Resident

My credit card was charged 2 days ago, but no notification so far. Is it normal?

25. Jimbo912

Jimbo912 Forum Resident

First 2 33s on their way !!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.