Pink Floyd Animals Immersion Set / What To Include

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jeffrey walsh, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

If there was a quad mix completed in the 70's that went unreleased due to lack of interest, that should be included, even if it only reached the work in progress stage and certainly there should be a new 5.1 mix.

Any unneeded doodads should be kept to a minimum, but I would be fine with a replica of one of the '77 In the Flesh tour posters.

2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Why has the Floyd camp been so stingy with the archival live releases? I imagine they have tons of good quality material in the vaults from various different periods, but we've barely seen any pre-Wall material get officially released. Are they trying to "protect the brand" by suppressing any less than perfect performances? Disappointing.

simon-wagstaff likes this.
  3. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

A massive inflatable pig would be the most important thing.

Tone_Boss likes this.
  4. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

I never understood why that is. Shure Animals might be harder to get into tan dark Side, WYWH or The Wall and it doesn't have any clear "single" like those three but it's a brutal force de tour.

Sapagrino and Craig Williams like this.
  5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Live disk from Ummagumma and Pompeii - That's actually more than we have for Dark Side through Animals. Although I agree, those 1970-1971 shows are excellent.

6. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Paul McCartney has already covered it. ;-)

CybrKhatru likes this.
  7. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

what i'd like in an animals immersion set?

..an apology for it not being their last album.

bryduck likes this.
  8. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Animals has always been regarded as a major Pink Floyd: a lot of fans rate it above The Wall. I don't think you can read into its status from the Immersion campaign, which was in my view a total fiasco. Instead of one integrated reissue programme we got three, one of which was completed and two of which seem (as far as we can tell) to have been ignominiously abandoned.

9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

They could include a certificate saying a pig or a sheep had been donated on your behalf to some third world country out of the cost of the box. Then everyone would feel good about it (except the pig or the sheep who'd have to live in Bangla Desh)

10. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

blu ray of the following would suffice me:
    - 24/96 orig. stereo mix
    - quad mix ( i have a dvd-a of one, but im not sure of its origins)
    - 8 track version of POTW
    - some live stuff would be nice, just to fill the disc up. i have ~30 animals shows already, and they're all kinda the same.

11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

You'd have to include the Animals Extraction Tapes that just leaked on the internet. Early studio mixes of Dogs (with Waters on the majority of the vocals), Sheep (closer to Raving & Drooling), and Pigs (closest to the final version). Recorded at Brittania Row Studios somewhere between April and December 1976. And amazing missing link between the live performances (1974/75) and official studio release (1977).

12. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I have heard some of these which include some very unusual DSOM alternates and are must have.
    I knew those crazy diamonds have been holding out!

13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Looks like more could be surfacing soon. Make yer own Immersion! Scarves, marbles, and other crap optional.

One Louder likes this.
  14. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

A mini documentary on the building on the cover. When I was in London a few years ago I was surprised when I saw it in the distance.

15. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Seems to have been pulled. I'm not able to find it on YT.

16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

One Louder and Kim Olesen like this.
  17. One Louder

Oh that's Battersea Power Station. It's going to be demolished even through it's a landmark. I vacationed in London in 2004 and had a great view of it while I was on the train.

I'd love to see more of the footage they shot for the TV spot.

I also have a great poster of the Animals album cover I bought off Pink Floyd's official store.

MilMascaras and jeffrey walsh like this.
  18. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

"Animals" was already part of the "Wish you were here" set with the live versions of those songs. So unless there ain't secret outtakes existing - of which nothing is known - there is probably not a lot, they can put into an "Animals" set.

I think we have to accept, that we won't get another real "Pink Floyd" Album. And even re-releasing the old ones with some slightly different outtakes will not fill the gap they left. We should complain instead, that there are no artists around these days, who fill their shoes and keep us excited. I don't think that in the big days of the late 60s anyone complained about not getting outtakes from Bill Haley or Little Richard...

19. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

What about that quad mix? Let's hear that.

20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Yep. That's how I saw it, from a train.

21. masterbucket

22. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

When I used to live in London in '97, walking past Battersea Power Station every day on my way to and from work was generally the high point of my day.

The Oakland 9/5/77 recording has to be part of an Animals immersion set. Unless the Floyd actually do have an uncirculating stash of soundboard tapes from the In The Flesh tour, Oakland is the best recording I know of (and I've heard most of 'em).

jeffrey walsh and One Louder like this.
  23. masterbucket

24. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

No, it's not going to be demolished.

It's being redeveloped into luxury flats and shops, ie, nothing for ordinary Londoners - but the iconic chimneys will stay!

25. One Louder

Well that's a bit better, I guess but not great.

bobcat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.