Who is happy with just 'bookshelf' loudspeakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by felix.scerri, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eggov

eggov Active Member

Vinyl Fan 1973 and RonW like this.
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Well-Known Member

That's all I have is bookshelf speakers. 99% of my listening is done on headphones though.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and RonW like this.
  3. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

I'm with you on this. I do have bookshelf speakers in my main system at the moment (Reference 3A de Capo i) and they get down to 42 hz, but that bottom octave of the Vandersteen 2Cs in the living room system is most certainly meaningful. Then again they have the space there to actually do their job properly and in my 12 x 12 listening room they would not.

4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The original post says that the person is using bookshelfs that are rated to 60 Hz, and asks if anyone else is happy with bookshelf loudspeakers on their systems. Then, someone responds that they are happy with the sound from a pair of standmounted Focal Elektras and a Paradigm subwoofer. I mean, of course they're happy - and that combination probably sounds good in most large living rooms. I guess that answers the original question, but I wonder whether the more interesting question might be whether a pair of bookshelf speakers offer better audio performance over similarly priced floorstanders and if so, why. But maybe that's a topic for another thread.

5. eggov

eggov Active Member

yes thats a completely different question

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I briefly tried out a pair of those, and found the mids and bass to be very rich and full, but the treble was rather cloudy.

7. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

A simple pair of studio monitors is fine for me. Big boxes sound like just that to my increasingly deaf ears.

8. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Now that would be an interesting thread I would certainly read with interest.

I've read elsewhere that bookshelves have better imaging because of reduced baffle area - but I'd be curious to read opposing informed experiences.

9. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Key word, opinion. Anymore your not suppose to have one t seems

10. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Undefined: what is a "bookshelf speaker"?

To many, that implies everything from tiny Bose satellites, Paradigm Atoms, etc. to big "monkey coffins" like Large Advents, Splendor SP100s, et al., or indeed any speaker which you wouldn't place on the floor.

IMO the upper size limit under discussion should be approx. that of LS3/5as or Rega RS1s ...say, 12" tall.

Edit: I see drbryant has addressed this as well ...

11. missan

missan Forum Resident

According to my Encyclopedia Missanica, bookshelf speakers shall be under 10liters inner volume.

bhazen likes this.
  12. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

How many liters in an LS3/5a?

13. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I'll fill mine with water when I get home. Until then, mine are stand-mounted.

Brudy and bhazen like this.
  14. missan

missan Forum Resident

Well if it´s more than 10L we change in the Encylopedia.

15. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Problem is, once someone is accustomed to good 35 Hz bass, taking it away, makes a major compromise.

To many losing that 25-50hz range, is not "Hi-Fidelity", it all depends on what compromises one accepts or does not accept.

I find the DIY community is able to make a great sounding 2 way bookshelf for far far less than a retail bought speaker of the same sound quality.
    Coupled with even a moderate to decent small sub you have the best of both and still can come out far under $1,500 total for all.

Almost no compromise.

16. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Almost no compromise for $1,500. Sign me up, but I expect my Focals to be beaten all-around.

Ortofun likes this.
  17. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Wikipedia says approx. 5 liters. Looks like the bare box is approx. 7.5 liters internal.

jeff

bhazen likes this.
  18. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

They sound great. Unfortunately they ceased production in early 2013. I believe they quit making several Itailian lines in favor of the Made In China Models (Venere Line) which have gotten great reviews...just don't look as pretty.

jh901 likes this.
  19. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

I really don't like the term "bookshelf speaker", in nearly any situation the worst place to have speakers is on a bookshelf!

I'm happy with my mini monitor standmounts, Frequency response: 45 - 25Khz +/- 1.5db (in room)....two way with a 5.5 inch Nomex midbass drivers :)

20. In my small listening room I only have room for bookshelf speakers. I have found these British made AVI Neutron IV speakers the best for my room.

[​IMG]

- they are rear ported and stand on thick bookshelves either side of a chimney breast but the bass does not chuff at all. These are the most neutral speakers I have ever tried.

21. RobHolt

RobHolt Forum Resident

I think it's fair to say 'bookshelf loudspeaker' has quite a different meaning today compared to say the 70s :)

Yes you have to account for the crossover larger than the average power amplifier!

22. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

I remember attending a Consumer Electronics Show when it was held in Chicago. ProAc was displaying in a room inside one of the downtown hotels. I had not heard of ProAc before that show. As I walked past the ProAc room I heard this amazing sound. I stopped and walked in. The Tablette was playing and the sound was glorious, full with amazing well-controlled bass. I've been to a lot of shows and heard a lot of speakers but this was one of the few small 'bookshelf' speakers that I remember with amazement.

23. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

The more options and opinions that are shared, the more that is learned. I've learned a lot on these forums.

JL6161 likes this.
  24. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

01Trevor10 likes this.
  25. felix.scerri

felix.scerri Forum Resident Thread Starter

G'day mate, thanks for that. For what it's worth, there isn't too much above 16 KHz or so either, which is 'interesting'! Regards, Felix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.