Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. XII "The Cutting Edge"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Oct 16, 2014.

1. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Thanks. Yes I realised I was just interested to know what it cost when it was in print inclusive shipping and taxes.

2. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Wasn't The Cutting Edge available briefly on a memory stick / thumb drive
    in a little blue box, or was that a bootleg?

3. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Bootleg

Richard--W likes this.
  4. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I’d take it. At this point. Maybe CBS would consider it like they did with the harmonica Dylan catalogue.

5. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Could some kind person remind me which take of "Tom Thumb's Blues" this is . . . I think I prefer it to the "original"? I assume it's on my 6CD collection, but can't remember right now:

6. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

It's Take 3, which appears on all five versions of The Cutting Edge, but it has been edited down for this video from 5:39-ish to 3:07-ish.

7. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Thanks, Percy. The editing down threw me.

Percy Song likes this.
  8. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

Hi all--A little help, if you don't mind. What are the crucial versions on the 6-CD set that do not appear on the 2-CD set? I ask b/c I have the 2-CD version and want to shore it up with the must-haves from the 6-CD version. The Guardian did a good article on this, but wanted to get your opinions.

Thanks! If this has already been answered, please point me to the right post--I couldn't find it.

Bob Dylan's The Cutting Edge: a fan's perfect playlist

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Do a search. It's all there!

10. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

Assuming your post was aimed at me, I'm gonna try not to be rude here: As I said, I tried to find this information in this thread and elsewhere on this site, but could not. Perhaps I am not so good with the Hoffman search engine--that's entirely possible. Given all that, perhaps you could point me to a particular post or suggest a particular search phrase that will help me find my answers rather than simply telling me "it's all there"? Thanks so much!

timnor, JoeF. and IronWaffle like this.
  11. Bill

Bill Senior Member

This release was beaten into submission here. Lots of lists of favorite takes.
    You are in the thread. I read them all. Try searching the thread using best or favorite as search word.
    Thank you for not being rude. I appreciate it.

12. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

You may find this helpful...

Dylan’s Bootleg Series of outtakes has arrived at his most legendary period – 1965-66. The double-disc version isn’t enough, but the six-disc one is too much for most.

Here are the extra tunes to buy and still have change from $30:

And this is a useful consensus:
    BS 12 - Cutting Edge - Favourite Tracks - Expecting Rain

(Personally, I think you can never have too many takes of One Of Us Must Know.) :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  13. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

THANKS! Yeah, I really like that Guardian article--and this poll from ER looks super helpful.

JoeF., IronWaffle and NumberEight like this.
  14. NumberEight

Glad you like them. I agree with most of the opinions in the Guardian article. (But see my late edit at the bottom of my earlier post.)

IronWaffle likes this.
  15. Percy Song

Or "She's Your Lover Now", or "Visions of Johanna", or "Absolutely Sweet Marie", which means that Big Blue was an essential purchase.

Conversely (perversely, perhaps?), I think it is possible to have too many takes of "Like A Rolling Stone", and I consider this to be the great failing of the 6CD set.

Incidentally, a friend of mine who is considerably more talented than I am when it comes to software manipulation, gave me permission to display the following two images he made. For those interested in the "paperwork" who struggled to decipher the studio documentation displayed on a deep blue background behind Disc 1 and Disc 2 of the 6CD set, this is what they look like when that colour has been modified. Of course, as one might have confidently predicted, there are images included that do not appear on Big Blue or the 2CD set or elsewhere on the 6CD set.

Image behind Disc One

[​IMG]

Image behind Disc 2

[​IMG]

More recently, Team Bob posted on Instagram a full image of the (rather dull) Artist Job Sheet of "Desolation Row" which is featured in the top right corner of the image behind Disc 2

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  16. NumberEight

Essential indeed.

The Cutting Edge Collector’s Edition represented the culmination - and probably the ultimate goal, if I’d thought about it - of the decades I’d spent collecting/listening to Dylan bootlegs.

17. Percy Song

The most recent Artist Job Sheet to appear on BD's Instagram thingy is from 31 January 1966 and features the two songs recorded on 25 January, 1966, the penultimate "Blonde on Blonde" New York session before Bob began recording in Nashville. My Bob archive is all packed away pending a move from Song Mansions to Percy's Ranch so I'm not sure if this AJS is on display in its entirety in any of the Cutting Edge editions. Probably not, although the salient part can be seen in the bottom right hand corner of the image behind Disc 1 of the 6CD set (see image above).

[​IMG]

18. Percy Song

19. Percy Song

Another AJS from Bob Dylan (@bobdylan) • Instagram photos and videos

The first session for "Bringing It All Back Home" with "I'll Keep It With Mine" still being called "Bank Account Blues" This may be featured in the artwork in one of the "The Cutting Edge" editions, I'm not sure - mine are still boxed up after a house move.

The AJ sheets are not half as interesting as the Tape Identification Data sheets but they are better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. You can get a taste for the TID sheet for this session in the first Big Blue essay by @Roger Ford over at Electric Dylan:-

http://www.electricdylan.net/Cutting Edge/Part 1 ISIS 184.pdf

[​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. Percy Song

By the way, @Daryl Sanders will be talking about his great book, "That Thin, Wild Mercury Sound" tomorrow (20 January, 2020) at Takoma Radio WOWD-LP (94.3 FM)

Times: 9 a.m. EST / 8 a.m. CST / 2 p.m. GMT

Takoma Radio WOWD-LP FM

The book is due to be published in a revised paperback edition in May.

[​IMG]

Sean Murdock, bluesbro and RiRiIII like this.
  21. Percy Song

Another Artist Job Sheet was posted on Bob's Instathing recently. It's a complete image of the AJS which appears in the Big Blue media book on the page housing discs 17 and 18. This is the last marathon session for "Blonde on Blonde" which started at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, 09 March 1966 and ended at around 7 a.m. the following day. Six songs in one night! (Read all about it in the aptly-titled "Sprint To The Finish" chapter in the terrific book, "That Thin Wild Mercury Sound" by @Daryl Sanders.)

[​IMG]

I think the Artist Job Sheets are pretty much the least interesting of all the scraps of "paperwork" that dribble out, but beggars can't be choosers; it's simply a case of staying fit for the next instalment.

Kind of interesting that the bizarre presentation of the title of "Leopard-skin Pill-box hat", clearly causing EM some concern with it's mixed-up confusion of upper and lower case letters and oddball hyphens, was slavishly followed on the labels of the early LP pressings.

Do we know who EM is?

[​IMG]

22. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

Here's those instagrammed job sheets in a higher resolution

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

24. Percy Song

Thank you for doing that - so much easier on the eyes!

Paulo Alm and SteveFff like this.
  25. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Who else thinks Mr. Dylan was influenced by Rita Pavone & The Talismen in 1965?