Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Seeing your posts about the Scott Ross Scarlatti box set, I have ordered it also. I remember some favorable reviews.

George P likes this.
  2. dale 88

Tonight I listened to the Brahms Symphony No. 4
    Brahms: Academic Festival Overture
    Brahms: Variations on a Theme of Joseph Haydn.
    Vienna Philharmonic
    John Barbirolli
    recorded 1967
    from the Barbirolli big box
    Well done and the remastered sound is very good.
    [​IMG]

jfeldt and jɑmbo like this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I'm a huge fan of his Brahms! I especially love his recording of the concertos with Barenboim for EMI.

4. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

After your enthusiastic recommendation of this set, I grabbed a copy “sight-unheard”. I’ve only played a couple of discs yet but i’m thoroughly enjoying it. Great recommendation! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

[​IMG]

layman, WaterLemon and jɑmbo like this.
  5. George P

My pleasure, my friend! Glad you are enjoying it! :wave:

Eigenvector likes this.
  6. dale 88

Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach Edition
    Hanssler, 2021
    60 CDs edition
    disc 30
    Piano Concertos Wq 26, Wq 44, Wq 20
    Michael Rische, piano
    Leipzig Chamber Symphony
    Katharina Sprenger
    I especially have a liking for Concerto in A minor, Wq 26, the first movement. It is such a unique and lively piece. Andrew Manze also did a great version.
    There was evidently a previous box from Hanssler of 54 discs in red. This new Hanssler box has 60 CDs and is blue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eigenvector and jɑmbo like this.
  7. George P

I don't have that set, but I have the sonata set contained within it, by Markovina. It is excellent!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    Eigenvector and jɑmbo like this.
  8. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Schubert: Works for Violin and Piano… Johanna Martzy/Jean Antonietti. Warner Classics via Qobuz in 192kHz/24 bit MQA. Another Gramophone recommendation from Rob Cowan. Sublime.

9. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

Yup. Ordered! Looking forward to hearing his take.

layman and Eigenvector like this.
  10. George P

:edthumbs:

WaterLemon likes this.
  11. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Listening to this classic recording from 1970. The CD also includes the Mendelssohn with Gidon Kremer and Orpheus Chamber Orchestra from 1988. Part of Argerich Complete DG recordings box set.[​IMG]

dale 88 and George P like this.
  12. Daedalus

Another gem from the DG [​IMG] Argerich box:

layman, jfeldt, dale 88 and 2 others like this.
  13. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Was listening to this this morning

[​IMG]

Really nice. Question if I like this what other things would people recommend to check out?

14. George P

Hi Juan,

Sorry, not my area, but hopefully others will chime in.

Juan Matus likes this.
  15. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the Glazunov Piano Concerto from this CD. Not a work I am at all familiar with. The conductor is Kondrashin.

The liner notes say they used NoNoise Rematsering, but there is still plenty of tape hiss, so thankfully they didn't overdo it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    Paul Dray and Daedalus like this.
  16. George P

^ Now enjoying the electrifying Prokofiev PC from the above Richter/Kondrashin CD.

Daedalus and dale 88 like this.
  17. drh

drh Talking Machine

Is that with the Moscow Youth SO? I have that on a 10" mono LP, Musical Masterpiece Society MMS-61. Artia also issued a recording of Richter in the work with the Prague SO on ALP 123, and Supraphon put one out with the Czech PO on LPV-250; both are also mono LPs (albeit 12"), both list Karel Ancerl as conductor, and I assume both are he same recording with different names applied to the orchestra. As I'm remembering things, the sound quality of the Artia was better, but I preferred the performance with Kondrashin.

Of course, whatever my record called "the Moscow Youth SO" could well appear under a different name on your CD even if the recordings are the same.

18. George P

Yes! :wave:

19. drh

drh Talking Machine

Great! I think you nailed it with "electrifying." How's the sound quality in your issue? Mine is rather drab, but Musical Masterpiece Society, a subscription mail order club label with the stated goal of disseminating unusual or neglected repertoire, wasn't noted as a source of records reflecting first-rate production values. Worth noting, though: it issued the preponderance of Australian pianist Noel Mewton-Wood's recordings, mostly concerti backed by second-tier orchestras conducted by the ubiquitous Walter Goehr. George, if you don't know his work, you might like to sample some of it; I think there's a good chance you'd like it. Among my favorite M.-W. recordings is his account of the Shostakovich 1st Cto. (the one that is effectively a double concerto with trumpet; here the soloist on that instrument is given as Harry Sevenstern, and he does himself proud), and I think his account of the Beethoven 4th actually is my favorite of that work.

M.-W.'s LP era discography is all, or nearly all, on MMS. Before that, he made 78s for English Decca. The ones I have also hew toward what was then (and, to some extent is still) off-the-beaten-track literature: Chopin's Tarantelle, Schumann's Symphonic Etudes, and Weber's 1st and 2d Pno. Stas.

Sadly, he died quite young by his own hand.

20. George P

The sound is a bit cold and shows its age, but it is servicable.

Sad indeed.

I am hoping that APR or Marston reissues Mewton-Wood's recordings at some point. His name has come up a number of times over the years, but I have yet to find/grap any of his recordings.

21. drh

drh Talking Machine

That would be good. The Dante label reissued much of M.W.'s MMS material, but those discs have been out of print for ages and tend to carry a big premium. The Australian B'casting Corp. issued--I think!--everything on its ABC label (not to be confused with the American label of the same name); at least as of the last I looked, which has been a while, those discs are still in print, but I haven't seen them for sale except through the ABC itself. They aren't exactly cheap, and needless to say postage from Australia isn't, either. As between the two, I'm not sure there's a lot to choose, but where I have duplications I tend to turn to the ABC set, just for convenience.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    George P likes this.
  22. dale 88

Gounod
    Messe Solennelle Ste. Cecile
    Czech Philharmonic Chorus
    Czech Philharmonic Orchestra
    Igor Markevitch
    DG, 1966

The Czech Philharmonic Chorus is masterful. I think I commented on their artistry in the Cherubini with Markevitch.
    [​IMG]

23. dale 88

I see that the Bavouzet series of Haydn Piano Sonatas has been completed with Vol. 11 on Chandos. I have just acquired Vols. 8 & 9.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. George P

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I recently compared the Wilhelm Backhaus mono (on the left) and stereo (on the right) Beethoven sonatas sets and have listed my findings below. I compared the sets because I wanted to see which set I liked more overall. I'd like to address a few quick points first. The more I compared, the more I felt that the sound of the stereo was not only a great deal better than the mono, I felt that the beauty of his playing was hard to separate from the actual sound quality. The stereo set has a gorgeous sound that seems to show Backhaus's playing, and especially the tone of his instrument, in an attractive light. Still, I did my best to separate this from the actual performances, so the results below represent my best attempt at judging only the performances of these two sets. Since the mono Op. 106 is used in both sets, I only had 31 sonatas to compare. In the end, I thought the performance of 8 of the sonatas was better on the mono set, while 23 of the sonatas were better in the stereo set.

Op.2/1 - Stereo a bit better.
    Op. 2/2 - The mono is notably better. While I find parts of the stereo version to be a bit clumsy, I hear none of that in the mono.
    Op. 2/3 - The mono is much better, superb energy in the first movement. Impressive playing here.
    Op. 7 - The mono has a slower slow movement, which is good because I find the stereo to be too quick. I like the mono a bit more.
    Op. 10 - The mono is a bit better in all three, more solid playing.
    Op. 14 - The mono is a bit better in each, again more solid playing.
    Op. 22 - The mono is a bit better, but it is close.
    Op. 26 - Stereo
    Op. 27 - Stereo for both
    Op. 28 - Stereo
    Op. 31- Stereo for all three
    Op. 49 - Stereo for both
    Op. 53 - Stereo
    Op. 54 - Stereo
    Op. 57 - Stereo
    Op. 78 - Stereo
    Op. 79 - Stereo
    Op. 81a - Stereo
    Op. 90 - Stereo
    Op. 101 - Stereo
    Op. 106 - Mono only
    Op. 109 - Stereo
    Op. 110 - Stereo
    Op. 111 - Stereo

TonyACT, layman, jɑmbo and 1 other person like this.
  25. Daedalus

Interesting and wonderful historic recordings. The Liszt performance is a real treat. There seems to be very little of recorded performance of Josef Pembaur available out there in the worldwide marketplace.[​IMG]

TonyACT, jɑmbo, jfeldt and 2 others like this.