David Bowie CONVERSATION PIECE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Sep 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

I am surprised that they are not adding a blu-ray of video . Although there is little from that time period ,there is some . I was thinking when they would start these " Super Deluxe" for a artist like Bowie who was so visual it was a no brainer. They still might.

2. JeffRougvie

JeffRougvie Forum Resident

Sure, they were transparent about this.

By the same token, they should admit they know many Bowie fans wouldn't wait for a later release - so Parlophone purposely gets a double dip AND they're still getting the die-hards to buy this box because there's a handful of "new" stuff they need that isn't available elsewhere.

This is beyond egregious exploitation of the fanbase at this point - and the blind box packaging of the single disc SO vinyl drives the point home. I've watched brands take this approach before and it is textbook "how to drive fans away" marketing. Bowie was a long game guy; this is very short-term thinking.

There may be some gems coming, but if this is how they choose to release them, they're either misguided or truly horrible people.

scobb, Wilco, whatprogress and 8 others like this.
  3. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I think the lesson is learned by now.
    Not a single-one-well-informed fan will buy any of these ‘limited’ sets in the future.

Rob Byrne and DBMethos like this.
  4. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Very well said! Agree 100%

JoeF. likes this.
  5. Logeroni_Pepperoni

Logeroni_Pepperoni Forum Resident

Crazy how Bowies catalog got more pricey over the years. Death makes money sadly but even before his passing it was getting more excessive it seems. Ryko gave you the album with some rare tracks and a cool booklet for about the price as a usual album, Virgin/EMI gave you the Special Edition with rares tracks, a booklet, DVD set, and even at one point the Station To Station 2010 deluxe gave you a WG RCA CD for probably around no more than the boxsets now or less. Now today they're releasing rare limited edition vinyl exclusive's for $20 a set (then print that it will be released later somewhere vaguely) and then release the exact same thing in a large boxset except now it has "rare unreleased tracks" that you can't get anywhere else unless you buy it for $100. I bet this set or its tracks will eventually be released on streaming services.

mishima's dog likes this.
  6. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I'm super drunk, so gorts may yank, but for four years we've had to hear, about the Parlophone boxes, "Waaah! No outtakes! No rarities!", and, um, HELLO? Here we are. I hate (well, dislike) "Space Oddity", but if this were any of the next 5 RCA albums (except maybe Ziggy), I'd be all over this stuff

7. Logeroni_Pepperoni

I don't think anyones arguing about the content, more of how they release it and price it.

8. Rob Byrne

Rob Byrne British, music lover

I’m broadly in agreement with you, but I think you’ve forgotten how expensive that Station To Station set was. There was some great stuff in it, but it was about twice as expensive as it needed to be.

The over-riding point for me is that there has not been a consistent approach taken to music’s greatest back catalogue since the Ryko days. And that’s deeply frustrating.

9. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Agreed - it's a shame about the Ryko mastering choices as otherwise it's been the best Bowie campaign so far by a long way - bonus tracks on every album (except Aladdin?), decent booklets, and a good box set with more bonus tracks.

10. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

They thing is they only need a slight bit of tweaking to sound fantastic. The underlying transfers are solid.

11. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

It’s milking time again for us Bowie fans, I’m not saying this isn’t interesting but surely don’t include 2009 versions that everyone will have , this would have shaved off probably £10-£15 .
    I also believe £85 is too expensive, there’s Mott the Hooples 1st 4 albums and rare bonus tracks for half this price.
    Ryko reissues in the late 80s/90s we’re far more interesting, just release everything available in the vaults and stop leaving us hanging!

Halloween_Jack and warewolf95 like this.
  12. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

This material finaly will be released

warewolf95 and TheLoveDrags like this.
  13. Bitblur

Bitblur Forum Resident

Beware believing the Pafford blog too much, he was caught out selling bogus Bowie stories to the UK tabloids and has a grudge against several people in the Bowie camp.

BigManRestless and warewolf95 like this.
  14. Logeroni_Pepperoni

I've never really hated rykos mastering choice. Ryko Lodger is actually the best version i've heard. The 1999 is bad for obvious reasons and the 2017 is a muddy disgrace but once I put in the ryko its real clear and has a good bit of detail to it making one of Bowies most underlooked albums sound great! I think they just need more bass and thats really it which is very configurable but I do like how the ryko bass is less cloudy and more of a nice kick here and there. But yeah the glam rock period on ryko is harsh but I can't exactly EQ them cause I don't have a good EQ other than what my computer offers.

15. gomen ne

gomen ne -

You're right from a totally capitalist point of view. I know Parlophone are ripping people off with their prices, but fek it - at least we are getting the Holy Grail unheard trax. You can't surely deny it - it's fantastic to get these!

Chris Bernhardt and warewolf95 like this.
  16. gomen ne

gomen ne -

That was an abomination. At least Parlophone have at last admitted it by passing it by.

warewolf95 and StormSignal like this.
  17. gomen ne

gomen ne -

What material?

18. Logeroni_Pepperoni

I wouldn't consider it an abomination other than the technical flaws. Yes the bass is too forward but unless you're solely looking out for the technical flaws they're not noticeable and anythings better than the bass deprived ryko or the no-noised 1999.

warewolf95 likes this.
  19. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I think it was fairly obvious that the vinyl releases would come to CD at some point. It happened with the Bowie RSD live albums and there was no reason to think it wouldn't in this case. I get the whinging but you can't have thought these would remain as vinyl only in 2019, they were bound to come out at least as digital releases.

20. Logeroni_Pepperoni

I'm not completely against the set but I certainly don't have the money for it. If The Man Who Sold The World gets a box with either the 2015 remaster or a better one then I might just chuck some money into that. That would likely come with some great Arnold Corns stuff and hopefully songs like Holy Holy and Memory Of A Free Festival Part 1 and 2. Space Oddity and its demos just have never peaked my interest as much but it's still a fantastic album.

Halloween_Jack and edenofflowers like this.
  21. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

And here comes further rehash....

I’m sure the fans that possibly bought both the Deluxe of the 1969 album and the Five Years set will be DELIGHTED... :rolleyes:

I mean... look at it...

Having fans fork out a considerable amount of money through ‘era’ boxes that -cough- ‘only’ contain previously released material (yeah, right) and now we’ll probably get all those same albums getting a red carpet treatment (again!)...

Once more, for the 1000th time....
    Cherish those 1991 EMI/Ryko’s!!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    StormSignal likes this.
  22. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

seems like this spinoff series might be a long and protracted way of (finally) getting all the surviving 68-72 BBC sessions

and what potential rarities from the bowie vaults might be released further on down the road? would it be totally out of line to start hoping for glastonbury '70 in a TMSTW/HD set...?

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  23. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Glastonbury '70 would be a big draw!

24. Logeroni_Pepperoni

I wouldn't consider it wise to cherish any of Bowies CD releases, not even the holy grail RCA's. The rykos EQ suffers in the early Bowie period but it's alright from Young Americans (excluding the remixes) to Scary Monsters. Now you could say just EQ them as the Hoffman approved post recommends but not everyones got the equipment or money for that. Still despite my annoyance with the rykos lack of bass I still am trying to collect them for the sake of bonus tracks.

warewolf95 likes this.
  25. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

Glastonbury was in 1971 and probably Will be released next year

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.