Duelund 16ga rca cables?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaleClark, Jan 4, 2019.

1. JCBROOKLYN

JCBROOKLYN Well-Known Member

JMAC likes this.
  2. JCBROOKLYN

3. JCBROOKLYN

I’m don’t think that his anything out there
    In the price range can beat this wire!

Bill Why Man likes this.
  4. JCBROOKLYN

12 gauge for speakers
    16 gauge for Intocsonnectors

RH67 likes this.
  5. harby

harby Forum Resident

I might have said the cabling of RCA interconnects matters so little, that one could use lamp cord instead of coaxial cable. I guess this is proof. Now on to the coat hanger listening tests...

I would reserve large-gauge unshielded RCA interconnects for the correct application:

[​IMG]

6. winders

winders Music Lover

I am using Duelund DCA16GA for speaker cables and Duelund DCA20GA for interconnects. I tried 16GA interconnects and preferred the 20GA. The sound was cleaner with the 20GA.

C10 and 33na3rd like this.
  7. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I just bought a pair of Duelund RCAs from Acoustic BBQ (Grannyring) on A'gon for use with my new DAC (I think my old Kimber Timbres are overly bright and underly focused). I bought the 16 ga double run version (two sets of 16 ga conductors per side = 4 runs total..guess that means they are 8ga?). They are terminated with the KLEI Perfect Harmony plugs, which seem to grip the socket like a...well, imagine a good metaphor. They do sound great so far, especially through headphones where the additional detail in digital music I've been listening to for decades is pretty astonishing. Of course, a lot of that is the DAC itself, but as they say, "it all matters." At the prices he charges, hard to do much better.

I plan to do some A/B testing with a pair of Grover Huffmans that I have in my system. Should be interesting.

dunkyboy and gakerty like this.
  8. Jeff57

Jeff57 Senior Member

No...wire gauges don't work that way. Two 16ga wires equals the current carrying capacity of one 13ga wire.

9. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I built a pair of speaker cables using Duelund tin plate copper AWG 12 Polycast jacket as the live wire. Ground wire is silver plate copper. They sound great from the start and need about 100 h burn-in to start blooming. Lack of better words, the mids and highs are silky and the bass is round and sharp. Notes and harmonics ringing forever so we are in the micro detail level here... A lot of space between the instruments which are easily discernable from each other.

I am currently building another pair of speaker cable using the cotton oil jacket version of the same tin plate copper wire. Waiting for some parts to complete.

As for interconnect, I am planning to use AWG 20 tin plate cooper cotton oil wire. First pilot tests were positive between the DAC and preamp. They have the same characteristics as the speaker cables so it looks like there’s a benefit to use the Duelund for both the interconnect and the speaker cables.

I also use the Polycast AWG 12 Duelund wire for AC power cables as the live wire. I obtain mixed results depending on which component these AC cables are connected. The geometry probably needs to be tweaked a bit.

dunkyboy, jusbe and Bill Why Man like this.
  10. Kasper Bergholt

Kasper Bergholt Well-Known Member

My current setup is DCA20GA run in two-folded strands for speaker wire (2 x 2 meteras) + DCA20GA unshielded terminated Switchcraft 3502AAU RCA plugs (0.5 meters & 0.7 meters). The Duelund works amazingly well between my Audio Note DAC 0.1x and preamp (Audio Note M Zero).

I'm considering constructing a new interconnect cable using the silver 2.0 or silver 3.0 cable for the hot pin - supplemented with two strands of DCA20GA for the ground. Perhaps braided somehow.

Has anyone experience with the silver cables for interconnects?

11. Norco74

I didn’t but moved from the Duelund 20AWG oil jacket to solid copper Neotech 20AWG UPOCC wire for the live wire on my interconnect. Takes an eternity to burn-in and results are better IMO with my taste however the Duelund is excellent just different presentation.

Next experiment will be to replace the Duelund live wire from my speaker cables to Neotech UPOCC.

12. Kasper Bergholt

Kasper Bergholt Well-Known Member

13. Norco74

The Neotech presentation is very detailed, transparent and one will notice from the getgo that it plays louder. The Duelund has a more relaxed presentation and is warmer. Perhaps the Neo is faster. YMMV. I use both but on different kits.

I also like to listen to new cables for at least 6 months before coming up with a final verdict. Too often we are hearing the obvious differences at first but with time and burn-in the subtleties and caveat are easily more identifiable.

Neotech UPOCC 18 AWG Teflon Insulation Cryo Treated - Neotech Cryo Treated Copper & Silver Hook-up Wire -

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  14. surferrosa

surferrosa Active Member

hey folks,

nobody talk about the duelund dca26ga solid core wire as interconnectors ...

I used them between my Amp and Phonopreamp. smooth & crispy and a lot of air in between. I also got the 16ga with duelund coherent rhodium plugs. this one sounds more liquid with great bass. don't know which one I like more.

but. why do nobody talk about the 26ga ??

Greetz Chris

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  15. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident

Which 26g is that exactly? Solid silver or tinned? I'm about to try to make some ICs soon. Maybe with the 2x16g.

I also put some 2x16g speaker wire in, unterminated.
    My imagination says the highs did open up some and maybe the bass tightened up.
    More listening needed.
    The Duelunds are sounding good for now.

My old wires were Japan Audio Note about 20 years old and looking all ratty. Going to try some Kimber 4ps next.

Norco74 likes this.
  16. Norco74

I used the Duelund 12AWG cotton/oil tinned as part of the Helix DIY speaker cable. They sounded great as well as some other lower gauge Duelund wire that I used for interconnects. I have since moved to UPOCC wire but kept them to switch them around from time to time.

theflattire likes this.
  17. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident

what gauge did you use for ICs? Single or double strand?

18. Norco74

Single run of 20 or 22AWG tinned cotton/oil in an Helix design. A double run of the live wire could have have been better if I read some comments around. My last project used double run of UPOCC even for speaker cables. Next step is to build silver interconnects under the same configuration.

The "HELIX IMAGE" Speaker Cable | My Audio Alchemy

theflattire likes this.