Grateful Dead-Pacific Northwest-73-74/19 disc box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I don’t know. I saw Barlow wearing freaking leather pants at a Wilco show at the Fillmore once. Does that make him an unselfaware *******, a selfaware *******, an unselfaware non-******* or a selfaware non-*******? I’d say unselfaware non-******* is probably out of the running, but otherwise it’s hard to say. He did write some great lyrics to other songs besides Money Money and I’m thankful for his other contributions. And what notesofachord said above.

2. trd

trd Forum Resident

Absolutely no one has seriously suggested the lyrics be changed or even offered more than a tepid criticism of them.

Wright, Crispy Rob and KCWhistle like this.
  3. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

"Women's Lib" really dates it, in any case. But it is a shame, because the song rocks. And it's quite well-crafted. Too bad it wasn't about corporate greed instead.

mw1917, thgord, wavethatflag and 2 others like this.
  4. markaudio

markaudio Forum Resident

That was a fun moment!

Crispy Rob, johnny q and Billy_Sunday like this.
  5. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

---------------------------

6. trd

trd Forum Resident

If you take those statements as serious arguments in favor of “changing lyrics or excluding songs” to accommodate PC culture then you may be the delicate and fragile one here

7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

After his masterful work on the song “Cassidy”, he has earned the right to pen some stinkers. They can’t all be winners. Even Robert Hunter does score a 3-pointer each time off the bench.

KCWhistle, adamos, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  8. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I'm going to keep listening to Money Money. I think my little brain can work around any problems with it, because it's a song ffs.

acetboy, KCWhistle, Ezzie and 7 others like this.
  9. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I totally agree. And I wish this was a different forum so I could contribute my political thoughts on the matter.

@US Blues, sorry for going off on you earlier. Those songs can be about whatever you want them to be about, this is the magic of music. Or something like that. Oh, and I don't have to agree with you. :D

US Blues and thgord like this.
  10. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Agreed.

Crispy Rob and thgord like this.
  11. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

No worries man, I was posting at 6 AM and was simply trying to add some humor to the mix. :hugs:

And yeah, I left out the child rapist from Mexicali Blues.

wavethatflag likes this.
  12. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Oh yeah, that's a sore spot for me too. Why couldn't he have written "a girl of just eighteen?" Still not a cool scene but it keeps us out of the criminal justice system. Of course, I don't know the age of Mexicali Blues man.

US Blues likes this.
  13. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I've decided that the "girl who's just 14" was a deliberate choice. Despite the upbeat music, Mexicali is a dark song about someone on a dark trip. The song's protagonist isn't happy about the age of the girl (or pretty much anything).

Also, add uncle-murderer to the list of angelic characters in GD songs.

14. notesofachord

Doesn’t, of course.

:doh:

US Blues likes this.
  15. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

A likelier reason for why they stopped playing "Money, Money" is that it's a bad-to-mediocre song. Jerry had little patience for sub-par material, especially in the '70s. Witness how quickly throwaways like "Till the Morning Comes" went out of rotation. PC? Get out of here! These guys were about as politically correct as your average outcast. There are tons of anecdotes that show their lack of integration with polite society. They were far from refined or attuned to the shibboleths of the day.

thgord and superstar19 like this.
  16. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Just for the sake of argument, I think that 'Till the Morning Comes is one of their better studio tracks. And ripping a jam on that would have been little to no effort at all.

Sure; it's a little ditty, but it could'a been a monsta.

17. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Well, next to the other material on American Beauty, I think it's second-tier. That and "Operator" - which didn't last long either. (Yet both are superior to "Money, Money").

KCWhistle, AlienRendel, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  18. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I was happy when Phil's band played it a bit, a sweet little tune.

superstar19 and Archtop like this.
  19. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

No doubt it's second tier to the other material. But it was well-positioned as a jam vehicle. They just opted out.

KCWhistle, Dahabenzapple and Wright like this.
  20. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Yeah, they could of course have taken it places... We'll never know.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  21. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Though if they pulled "Money, Mohey" as a way to check Barlow's cynicism, then more power to them. He wrote some very good material, but he had that - dare I say it - non-PC, libertarian streak in him, which is a totally different vibe from Hunter. It wasn't always a good fit for the Dead, who were more live and let live than ideological.

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Bob said they playing "Money Money" because some of the band didn't like the words. There was one Donna interview where she said she remembered Keith hated the song.

thgord and Wright like this.
  23. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Yes, it was definitely about the words & subject matter, as Bob tells in Playing In the Band: "The rest of the band didn't think it was as funny as I did, so we put that one away."

thgord likes this.
  24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

For his part, Barlow claimed that Weir's hard rock music made the lyrics seem more serious than he wanted them to be.

ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  25. notesofachord

I’ve always loved “Til the Morning Comes”.