Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I got a big kick when I first heard these guys but I have not been able to sustain my interest in them. I hope the same won't be said of The Record Company.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  2. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

They don’t allow vs threads here!
    Personally, the only good band mentioned from the US is Alabama Shakes. I like GVF, but they’re still developing. As for Florence, I also like her, but she’s been making the same album for almost a decade!
    Edit: Oops, I didn’t see Jack White. He’s good too.

3. manco

manco Forum Resident

Yes but it's been a glorious 'same' album! F+M will be remembered for having an identity at least.

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  4. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

We already had Led Zeppelin in the 70s. I don't see anything special about these Greta boys.

steelhead likes this.
  5. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

These guys just tore it up on Jimmy Fallon!!

I’m officially a fan but has anyone noticed they sound an awful lot like Led Zeppelin?

musicarus and eddiel like this.
  6. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Wife and I like these guys a lot. 4 young guys playing 70s style rock in 2018 and clearly loving it, yeah sign us up.

Fallon performance was good, but I think the singer is much better than what he showed last night. Too much over singing there and in the new single. On the EP though, he’s pretty enjoyable.

Will definitely be watching these guys as time goes on. It’s just fun music!

musicarus, aroney and Tree of Life like this.
  7. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Just watched the Fallon clip. The singer sounded like Plant with phlegm in his throat.

8. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

9. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I'm hoping that is the weakest tune on the forthcoming album.

10. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

11. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

12. RhyeKing77

RhyeKing77 Forum Resident

If you're going to rip off the 70's at least have the decency to refrain from waxing your chest hair.

DHamilton and Johnny Ryall like this.
  13. First, you rip off the chest hair, and then you rip off the 70s. They won't suspect a thing!

DHamilton likes this.
  14. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria Thread Starter

No one cares...it's the great music that matters!!

artfromtex likes this.
  15. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

I saw them in concert this evening. I go to loads of concerts, but tonight had to have been the most rapturous audience I have ever been in.

When they were in town less than a year ago, they played to a sold-out club that holds a few hundred people. Tonight, it was a 2,000 seat theater that sold out within minutes. Next time they come to town, I imagine that they will be playing an arena or shed.

aroney and FFF like this.
  16. Are they the headliner? How many songs did they play?

17. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

Yes, they were the headliner. The main set was approximately an hour long (8 or 9 songs), and the encore was two songs. Most of the songs had extended jams (Edge of Darkness being the longest) which stretched out their length.

artfromtex, musicarus and FFF like this.
  18. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Saw GvF in concert about two weeks ago at Lollapalooza. Managed to get about fifteen feet from the rail on the right side. Highlight of my weekend.

They had a 45 minute set and played only seven songs, which meant lots of extended jams. The first two tracks, "Highway Tune" and "Edge of Darkness" took up what felt like at least 20 minutes of the set, which was super exciting to see them jam. You can complain all you want about how similar they sound to Led Zeppelin, but there was no denying their musicality. The crowd was also super involved and singing along more than I expected for a band with such a little amount of discography.

This was the setlist:
    1. Highway Tune
    2. Edge of Darkness
    3. Flower Power
    4. You're The One
    5. When The Curtain Falls
    6. Black Smoke Rising
    7. Safari Song

Also, the video for "When The Curtain Falls":

19. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

Their Aug. 23 date here in my town got cancelled along with some others due to a band member being injured .... plus there's a hurricane coming that probably would've cancelled it anyway ....

20. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

MTV is beginning to support the band. At least one of its channels is airing the music video. I personally have limited tolerance for the lead singer.

DHamilton likes this.
  21. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

Love Them have their CD !!!

MikeInFla likes this.
  22. Steve M.

Steve M. Forum Resident

Greta Van Fleet sound fine. The problem for me is that the singer looks like a cross between Roger Daltry (he had some dodgy looks in the 70s) and a kids TV show presenter. He should grow his hair or something.

Fullbug and Sondek like this.
  23. aroney

He used to have long hair a few years ago:

24. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Wow, that was terrible.

25. aroney

Yeah. The crowd thought it sucked right? o_O

At this point who cares? Some of us think they rock, others don't. So what? ;)

I'm done with this thread, too much negativity about ROCK. See ya! Enjoy the haterade. There are only so many spins around the sun. I'm not wasting 'em trying to "convince" folks that a band is good (or not).

It's beyond silly. :winkgrin: Rock on (or don't)...:p

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.